New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 12 2011, 03:46 AM   #511
John O.
Rear Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

RAMA wrote: View Post
John O. wrote: View Post
New benchmax at 170 today. New leg press max at 340
Congrats! Have any goals?
I hit 180 yesterday with a spotter. And on the two hand cable curl I've been able to meek out about 3 shitty reps at 150 but today did a solid 8 rep set on 150. The stack doesn't go any higher at that station, I may have to relocate, I think another goes to like 240.

My goal was to get to leg press of 375, but that hasn't happened just yet. My god, yesterday I saw these two guys switching off on the leg press, adding 45 lb plates until they filled it up - then put another one on the back - for a total of 765. 8-45 lb plates on either side and 1 45 on the back of the leg press plate. They didn't even look that big, they weren't fully extending but still, they did like 10 sets between the two of em. It was nuts.

I'm actually shifting gears a little to a more mixed cardio routine. I've been getting a little too comfortable with my routine and my gains are noticeably declining, so I'm mixing it up. Here's a good example of how I'm changing it, from my facebook fitness "blog". This was my workout yesterday:

Bench
140 - Warmup - 8
160 - Previous Max - 3
180 - New Max - 3

Hack Squat
90 - Warmup - 8
180 - Previous Max - 6
230 - New Max - 6
250 - New Max - 8

1/2 mile SPRINT at 6:00 pace

DB Bench
50's - Warmup - 8
55's - 8
60's - Tied Max - 7

Calve Raises
280 - 10
280 - 10
280 - 15

1/4 mile FAST JOG at 7:30 pace

Lawnmower Cable Pull
80 - 10
100 - 10
120 - 10

Leg Extensions
60 - 20
60 - 20

1/4 mile SPRINT at 5:30 pace

Pec Flies
60 - 30
70 - 20

Single Arm Cable Curls (Ultra Slow/Controlled Extension)
50 - 8
60 - 8

Two Arm Cable Curls (Ultra Slow/Controlled Extension)
100 - 8
110 - 8

5:00 Super Hills Stationary Bike 80 RPM

Upright Row
70 - 10
80 - 10

Box Jumps
30" - 30
Trip n' T'Pol are Alive and Well at Triaxian Silk
John O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13 2011, 05:30 AM   #512
RoJoHen
Awesome

Did Back today at my gym, but I was sleepy and had kind of a mediocre workout. About an hour after I got home I had a sudden burst of energy, so I went back and did more Back, Shoulders, and Arms. I am now going to spend the rest of the evening stuffing my face with food.
Old March 17 2011, 05:42 AM   #513
John O.
Rear Admiral

New decline bench max - 1 rep max of 227

New leg press max - 1 rep max of 402

New curl max - 1 rep max of 200
Old March 23 2011, 03:00 AM   #514
RoJoHen
Awesome

Okay, dammit, I am getting really annoyed at life. So for about 2 weeks after my shoulder recovers, I have really awesome workouts. My diet is good, and I'm making progress.

Jump to last Wednesday, and I spend 3 days sick with food poisoning and am unable to eat. I lose about 15 pounds, a lot of which is water, but some is definitely muscle.

I finally got back to the gym tonight after taking the weekend to rest and recover, and my workout was about what I expected it to be: really mediocre.

I am now bound and determined to stopping letting shit get in the way of my bodybuilding. I am going to write out a routine. I am going to follow it religiously. I am going to spend my days off cooking obnoxious amounts of food so my muscles can recover and grow.

Shit is about to get real.
Old March 23 2011, 06:19 PM   #515
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Haven't checked in for a while. I have been finding it really hard to make time for the gym this past year with a new child. All I want to do is go home and spend time with her before she goes to bed. At least I've been playing hockey twice a week.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24 2011, 01:05 AM   #516
RoJoHen
Awesome

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Haven't checked in for a while. I have been finding it really hard to make time for the gym this past year with a new child. All I want to do is go home and spend time with her before she goes to bed. At least I've been playing hockey twice a week.
I think parenting is a perfectly acceptable reason to skip the gym.
Old March 26 2011, 12:24 AM   #517
John O.
Rear Admiral

I went to the gym today with my GF - experienced her poshy, yuppy-filled downtown DC hipster-gym for the first time

It's so weird to work out on 3 different floors!
Old March 26 2011, 12:25 AM   #518
RoJoHen
Awesome

John O. wrote: View Post

It's so weird to work out on 3 different floors!
Eh, gyms do what they can with the space they have. I've never been in a 3-story gym before, but many of my gyms have had 2 levels.
Old April 3 2011, 05:04 AM   #519
John O.
Rear Admiral

New maxes today:

Bench - 190
Lat Pull - 170
Overhead Press - 110
Snatch + Grab - 90
Old April 5 2011, 01:40 PM   #520
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Got a good chest and arm workout in yesterday. My biceps are actually a bit tight today. So's my chest for that matter.

Playing hockey tonight after work.
Old April 6 2011, 06:42 PM   #521
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Just wanted to give a heads up to both lifters and cardio demons. I replaced my gymteknik app from bberry with Jefit for Android (and Iphone). Its a comprehensive workout app that you can use for your entire workout...no more using pen and paper to log info. Auto 1 rep max calc, auto sets and reps if you want to. Hell, you can even time your rest between sets! You can sync it with the website and have the info available everywhere and to anyone.

http://www.jefit.com/feature/
Old April 6 2011, 06:43 PM   #522
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

TONIGHT: Playing ball hockey tonight
THURSDAY NIGHT: P90X Chest/Back
FRIDAY NIGHT: Playing Ice Hockey
Saturday: Yoga
Sunday: Rest
Old April 6 2011, 07:41 PM   #523
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

RAMA wrote: View Post
Just wanted to give a heads up to both lifters and cardio demons. I replaced my gymteknik app from bberry with Jefit for Android (and Iphone). Its a comprehensive workout app that you can use for your entire workout...no more using pen and paper to log info. Auto 1 rep max calc, auto sets and reps if you want to. Hell, you can even time your rest between sets! You can sync it with the website and have the info available everywhere and to anyone.

http://www.jefit.com/feature/
Sounds pretty cool. I'll have to check it out.

I'd also like to say how surprised I am that most people don't seem to plan out and record their workouts. At least they don't seem to at my gym.
Old April 6 2011, 08:14 PM   #524
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Just got a Powertec Workbench that I set up in my garage--with a new kid on the way I know I won't have time to make it to the gym, but I figure I should be able to squeeze in 20 minutes or so of weight after my run in the mornings.

I've got a 7' Olympic bar and a 300# weight set to go with the bench, which adjusts for bench, decline, and incline positions. I'm still figuring out the right angle for the incline press, though.

I worked my arms a little this morning, mostly by doing curls w/ the Olympic bar, which was a little ungainly.

Anyone know any good biceps/arm exercises I can do with the set-up I've described?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9 2011, 04:00 AM   #525
John O.
Rear Admiral

I think you pretty much just called it there - the main thing you can do with a bar is curls, awkward as it is. You can also do reverse forearm curls and ordinary forearm curls, though, and you can do laying down tricep skull crushers (what I call em, Idk if they have a more official name) so at least you can hit the whole arm.

@ the workout app - I might try that, looks neat.

I recorded my workouts for a very very long time, but in the end I decided that it was more of a phase on the road to fitness discipline, not an end. It's tremendously helpful to track your progress, but IMO it's only necessary for awhile, until you get a solid enough set of personal expectations of your body that you can figure out on the fly what is, and isn't, a challenging workout for yourself. Beginners who can't keep track of what muscle groups they've done recently, what type of set/rep structure they've been doing or want to do, or how much weight they max out on, can definitely get quite a bit of discipline and organizational efficiency out of recording their workout in real time.

Eventually though, I felt a little trapped by it. I felt tied to my notebook, and less flexible in my routines and my speeds by being obligated to stop and record everything. It most definitely serves a purpose, I just no longer believe that one cannot enjoy a productive, efficient and disciplined workout without it. In fact, I felt a little liberated by ending my use of it, because any time I feel like I'm going too easy on myself, I just say "screw it, I'll do quads and calves today too", or, "I'll sprint between chest workouts", or "I'll do a crossfit abs routine until I curl up and cry like a little girl" and I didn't feel that kind of flexibility lent itself to a notebook-recording workout mentality.