Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 24 2010, 05:17 AM   #436
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

OK, 6 days and still exercising, have only missed 1 day. I'm working out for about 1 hour on the bike, give or take a few minutes. I'm trying not to push it too hard too fast, given how long I've been out of exercise, but I think this might at least get my heart used to doing more work over a sustained period of time.

Still trying to figure out a solution for the travel, though, that doesn't involve the nasty hotel gym or the unsafe areas outside the hotel.
Old August 24 2010, 05:21 AM   #437
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

Did my first jog/ walk intervals today at 2-3 min for 30 minutes. It was really fun. If the weather starts to cool off, I might be able to go outside and do some runs.
Old August 24 2010, 07:31 AM   #438
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Switched to a new 24 hour hr gym and I've been going even if I'm tired, since I can rest longer before going. Its also a little bit more hardcore...I like it.

RAMA
Old August 24 2010, 08:03 AM   #439
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm ready for winter. I just want to get fat and lift heavy.
Old August 30 2010, 12:29 AM   #440
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

Hiya, chickens! Long time no check-in!

I've been bothered a lot my arthritis in my hip in recent months and I've given up running in favor of walking. That's going pretty well. I have some fabulous long routes (5-7 miles) through lovely scenery near my home, and I've been trying to walk nearly every day. My ultimate goal is to walk a marathon; my intermediate goal is the 10.6 mile event at the Big Sur Marathon in May 2011. My husband will be running the marathon, and it's a fun event that we can do together - well, sort of together. At least they end at the same place.

I had to take a break from walking in the last week, though, when temperatures topped 105 F in my neighborhood. Yikes!

Right now I'm in Australia (came down for the Melbourne Worldcon later this week) and most of my walking will be wandering around from place to place sightseeing. I'm planning to try to get back to a regular workout routine when I'm back home in California next week.

How's everyone else doing?
Old August 31 2010, 03:59 AM   #441
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

TJ, ever considered a recumbent exercise bike? You should ask a doctor or physical therapist first what's appropriate for your condition, but if you end up needing something lower-impact that still works your heart out, that might be an option.
Old September 7 2010, 07:50 AM   #442
RoJoHen
Awesome

Starting to include heavy deadlifts into my regular weekly routine again. It's been a long time since I've done that.
Old September 7 2010, 08:46 PM   #443
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

I'm starting week 3 of my run/ walk, with this week incorporating more running than walking.

I'm going to do Jullian Michael's 30 Day Shred in a few minutes. Now that I know my legs can take the pounding, I'm ready to go back to using it.
Old September 10 2010, 07:22 PM   #444
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
TJ, ever considered a recumbent exercise bike?
I tried the one at our gym, and it really aggravated my hip (worse than the regular bike, actually). I don't think I'm cut out to be a cyclist!
Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
'm going to do Jullian Michael's 30 Day Shred in a few minutes. Now that I know my legs can take the pounding, I'm ready to go back to using it.
Let us know how that goes, CD! I've been considering Jillian Michaels because I've heard so many success stories, but she might be too intense for my poor old body. I know she offers a bunch of different programs, though. Maybe one of them would work to help me lose these last 5-7 pounds that stubbornly refuse to leave.
Old September 12 2010, 02:24 AM   #445
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

TJinLOCA wrote: View Post
Let us know how that goes, CD! I've been considering Jillian Michaels because I've heard so many success stories, but she might be too intense for my poor old body. I know she offers a bunch of different programs, though. Maybe one of them would work to help me lose these last 5-7 pounds that stubbornly refuse to leave.
I'd start with that one if you're going to do a Jullian DVD. It's the easiest of the ones she's done outside of The Biggest Loser. If you want something a little more manageable, the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt and Cardio Max are really good.

I really like 30 Day Shred. I just do it on Tue/Thurs so I can have muscle recovery. She uses the good stuff (compound weight moves, jumping jacks, jump rope, push ups), but the pace is KILLER! You do NOT get a break for 30 minutes and she uses a really fast pace.

And for me, the very first circuit just over taxes me by putting in 2 shoulder moves (pushups followed by squats/shoulder presses), jumping jacks and jump rope. I think she figures most people will ease up and "phone it in" as the workout goes on, so she front loaded it with the hardest stuff right off.

Having said that, it really got my legs in shape and made it easier to start running in good shape. There's a debate over at Runner's World whether a hard workout like that just drags your body down and makes running harder or easier, and I'm keeping an eye on my quads to see how they perform on the days I run (M/W/F).

I'm going to use 30 Day Shred next week, and then rotate it out with Power Sculpt since I like rotating my weight training routine every couple of weeks.

The running is going awesome! I'm 3 weeks into my 6 weeks of training. I'm slow and I still waddle, but I can really feel that my knees are getting a lot stronger.
Old September 14 2010, 07:24 PM   #446
RoJoHen
Awesome

Heavy Squats. Heavy Deadlifts. My legs might fall off.
Old September 15 2010, 04:59 PM   #447
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
I'd start with that one if you're going to do a Jullian DVD. It's the easiest of the ones she's done outside of The Biggest Loser. If you want something a little more manageable, the Biggest Loser Power Sculpt and Cardio Max are really good.
Thanks. I definitely need to do something ... I had to quit running because of hip pain, and I'm temporarily off walking as well (I had an ingrown toenail removed by the doctor yesterday - OUCHIE!!) so I'm feeling like a total blob. Once I'm all healed up I really need to get back to a regular exercise program.

My daughter joined a really nice new gym - I could add on to her membership for $45/month. I'm trying to save money, but I'm thinking I might do it just to have the added motivation of someone to work out with (and of course, access to all the machines, & pool, etc.) And if I gave up one bottle of wine a week, that would pay for it.
Old September 15 2010, 05:22 PM   #448
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

Haven't checked in here in a long while. I've just started a low carb diet along with more daily gym trips.
Old September 17 2010, 12:45 AM   #449
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

RevDMV wrote: View Post
Haven't checked in here in a long while. I've just started a low carb diet along with more daily gym trips.
Good luck, Rev! I was very successful with a low-carb/high protein diet along with weight training when I first started my fitness journey some years back ... lost over 30 lbs and added a ton of muscle. Hopefully it will work for you too!
Old September 18 2010, 12:43 AM   #450
star
Vice Admiral

Can I play too? I had a couple weeks off from the gym as I've been figuring out my diet. I just recently went Vegan, and there's a huge learning curve with that. This weekend, having finished my studying, I'm going to map out my new nutrition program. (I know how to eat clean as an omnivore... now learning how to do it all on plants alone -- and no, I have no interest in converting anyone to this lifestyle! Don't worry! )

On Monday I'm back at the gym. I'm doing an intensive circuit training program Mon, Wed, Fri and hardcore cardio the rest of the week. Also every day I have some form of pilates planned. I can't wait to get back. The gym is my zen time!