Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 15 2009, 04:45 PM   #256
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

Re: Fitness Checkin

RAMA wrote: View Post
Dementor2009 wrote: View Post
RoJo, would you also take into account body fat percentage when it comes to weight? I have this weighing scale at home that measures that, too. I haven't used it in ages; I don't want to get disappointed all the time. Last time I checked, though (about two years ago), I was at 24%.
24% is a bit high for a male...and this is at 185 pounds?? You may want to redesign your diet, and cut out the fatty and processed foods. Lower your carbs a bit (but not eliminate them). Males should be 15-18% depending on their size and activity level.

RAMA
Thanks. I was looking at two different sites that had information on the "normal" range of body fat for males and females. Wikipedia, I believe, stated that Normal was from 18% to 25%. Another site suggested that under 18% body fat was ideal for guys.

I haven't weighed myself lately, but I know I've lost some weight. My body build is medium, I suppose. I've always been into cardio exercise and never done any serious resistance training (thus the lack of upper body development). Surprisingly, I've always been "average" or slender (though I'm far from being athletic or even skinny in the sense).

EDIT:

Okay, I checked Wikipedia again, and it says that the 18% - 25% range is considered "Acceptable," but the "Athletic" types should be in the 14% - 17% range. Obviously I'm not an athlete and could never look like a supermodel, but as long as I can keep it within a healthy range, I guess that's fine. I'm also more concerned about watching my cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and weight management is an important aspect of that.

Last edited by SamhainLikeYou; October 15 2009 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Additional info
SamhainLikeYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2009, 02:22 PM   #257
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
RoJo, would you also take into account body fat percentage when it comes to weight? I have this weighing scale at home that measures that, too. I haven't used it in ages; I don't want to get disappointed all the time. Last time I checked, though (about two years ago), I was at 24%.
24% is a bit high for a male...and this is at 185 pounds?? You may want to redesign your diet, and cut out the fatty and processed foods. Lower your carbs a bit (but not eliminate them). Males should be 15-18% depending on their size and activity level.

RAMA
Thanks. I was looking at two different sites that had information on the "normal" range of body fat for males and females. Wikipedia, I believe, stated that Normal was from 18% to 25%. Another site suggested that under 18% body fat was ideal for guys.

I haven't weighed myself lately, but I know I've lost some weight. My body build is medium, I suppose. I've always been into cardio exercise and never done any serious resistance training (thus the lack of upper body development). Surprisingly, I've always been "average" or slender (though I'm far from being athletic or even skinny in the sense).

EDIT:

Okay, I checked Wikipedia again, and it says that the 18% - 25% range is considered "Acceptable," but the "Athletic" types should be in the 14% - 17% range. Obviously I'm not an athlete and could never look like a supermodel, but as long as I can keep it within a healthy range, I guess that's fine. I'm also more concerned about watching my cholesterol and blood sugar levels, and weight management is an important aspect of that.
20% probably won't kill you, but 18% would be a good solid goal.

RAMA
Old October 18 2009, 07:13 AM   #258
RoJoHen
Awesome

I've actually been sleeping like a fairly normal human being the last few weeks, so my recovery time has decreased quite a bit. I have a lot of energy every day, and I keep working out. I need to force myself to take a day off!
Old October 19 2009, 12:56 AM   #259
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Old October 19 2009, 01:59 AM   #260
RoJoHen
Awesome

My new gym has a heated lap pool. I went out and bought a new bathing suit this afternoon. Starting tomorrow, I am going to try and start a swimming routine in the morning to try and get rid of this stubborn fat around my love handles. My roommate and I did this for a while in college, and it really helped. I just hate all other forms of cardio!
Old October 19 2009, 03:53 PM   #261
RoJoHen
Awesome

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
My new gym has a heated lap pool. I went out and bought a new bathing suit this afternoon. Starting tomorrow, I am going to try and start a swimming routine in the morning to try and get rid of this stubborn fat around my love handles. My roommate and I did this for a while in college, and it really helped. I just hate all other forms of cardio!
I spent the whole night tossing and turning (and peeing every 2 hours for some reason), so I was not very motivated this morning. Frankly, it's a wonder I got out of bed at all.

I'll hope for a good night's sleep tonight and start the swimming thing tomorrow.
Old October 20 2009, 01:56 AM   #262
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

Did you drink a lot of coffee or caffeinated drinks? Frequent urination is also a symptom of Type 2 diabetes.
Old October 20 2009, 02:03 AM   #263
RoJoHen
Awesome

I'm not sure what I did. I peed a lot more last night than I normally do.

And no, there was no caffeine or anything. I did accidentally take a little nap yesterday afternoon, so that probably had something to do with it. Oh well, it's not the morning, but I'm off to the gym to try the swimming thing anyway. It's also Leg Day. Hopefully the combination will wear me out enough to fall asleep tonight.
Old October 20 2009, 03:59 AM   #264
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, that certainly worked! Holy crap, I can't remember the last time a workout made me nauseous. My head is still spinning.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, I think I may have ingested too much pool water, and I think I got a lot in my ears.

Last edited by Jolly Ole Saint RoJo; October 20 2009 at 04:46 AM.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 02:01 PM   #265
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RoJoHellspawn wrote: View Post
Well, that certainly worked! Holy crap, I can't remember the last time a workout made me nauseous. My head is still spinning.

EDIT: Upon further consideration, I think I may have ingested too much pool water, and I think I got a lot in my ears.
Ew don't do that.
Old October 21 2009, 04:26 PM   #266
RoJoHen
Awesome

It didn't happen on purpose.

I do love swimming for cardio, though. I just need to remember how to breathe right while doing it!
Old October 22 2009, 07:33 AM   #267
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Kreepy Kestra wrote: View Post
I finally got back on the treadmill after months and months of not doing anything. I've been going really slowly, but at least I'm making myself move for 30-45 minutes, and my asthma's not giving me grief about it. I hope I can keep this going.
... aaaaaand I'm sick again. So much for an exercise routine.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2009, 02:25 PM   #268
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Dammit! I just found out last night my gym is closing at the end of the month. Some dispute with the landlord.

It was a basic gym without lots of frills, but the equipment was new, you could almost always find a station, the locker room was clean, and the staff helpful. Time to poke around for a new one.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2009, 05:12 PM   #269
SamhainLikeYou
Vice Admiral

I finally got back on the treadmill after months and months of not doing anything. I've been going really slowly, but at least I'm making myself move for 30-45 minutes, and my asthma's not giving me grief about it. I hope I can keep this going.
Well, don't push yourself too hard, Kes, especially when you're sick. Some people may experience typical aches and pains, but when the pain gets too intense that you can't move, then you're probably not doing something right.
Old October 22 2009, 06:49 PM   #270
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Well, don't push yourself too hard, Kes, especially when you're sick. Some people may experience typical aches and pains, but when the pain gets too intense that you can't move, then you're probably not doing something right.
Yeah, I know. It's not that. It's that I have a stupid immune system which overreacts to things like pollen, and then is complete crap when it comes to fighting colds. So I get sick a lot, and when I have a cold it means things like nebulizers and very little activity for quite awhile. Then by the time I'm feeling better, I've totally broken my routine and it's difficult to get back into working out.

Sorry, I try not to go all self-pitying but sometimes it just sucks. I'm not even going outside! I just want to run for a half hour on the treadmill a day. Is that too much to ask?
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote