MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 197 71.38%
Above Average 53 19.20%
Average 16 5.80%
Below Average 7 2.54%
Poor 3 1.09%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 19 2009, 06:10 PM   #226
Q2UnME
Commodore

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Candlelight wrote: View Post
Q2UnME wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post

But then why wasn't her hair burned, or even singed? That's why I don't think it makes sense for her to have been burned. I thought her corpse was in such a state just because of normal decomposition, not burning. But it looked to me like much more than just a few months worth of decomposition (not that I'm an expert on such things). That's why I was wondering if time travel was involved.
Based on dialog from several episodes, it appears that Kara1.0 had been on earth approx 5 to 6 months. Given the state of the viper, smashed helmet face shield and exposure to weather/environment/critters, I think the level of decomp of Kara1.0 to be just about right.

Q2UnME
The time between Maelstrom and Crossroads/He That Believeth in Me was "over 2 months" according to Anders and Apollo.
Yes, that's true and I took a little liberty and called it 2-1/2 months. And Kara herself stated in Revelations that her shiny new viper was "sitting in the exact same spot for the last 3 months". That's where I came up with the 5 - 6 month estimate for the Kara1.0 body for being on Earth (no provisions for time travel or the like).

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Old January 19 2009, 06:17 PM   #227
Leroy
Fleet Captain

My only gripe is that the planet stayed radioactive for over 2,000 years? Did the writers forget about half life? That must half been one hell of a doomsday weapon!
Old January 19 2009, 06:21 PM   #228
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Above Average...The show is becoming a little too LOST like for me with no answers and only questions.
Well, yeah. You're right. But it's almost over and RDM has said he's gonna answer just about everything. Whether those answers suck or not is another question entirely. But they're coming. So I don't really mind that "Sometimes A Great Notion" was all questions.

The 5th Cylon was revealed too weak for my liking and I don't care for the answer in the end, trying to make unimportant characters mean something.
Well, it wasn't going to please everyone. I disagree that Ellen was unimportant though. Tigh is extremely important and his actions are largely informed by his relationship with Ellen. Also, I was pulling for Cally as the 5th but now that they've revealed it, I can see why Ellen's the stronger choice, dramatically.

Dee shhoting herself was stupid if she not a Cylon, made no sense why she would do it
Why wouldn't she do it? I'm surprised everyone didn't pop themselves the second Bill grabbed that dirt. Dee's been kind of languishing in the shadow of other more significant plot developments. Devastated Earth had to hit someone hard, so why not her? Gives her a strong note to go out on, IMO. Also, her scenes with Lee kind of redeemed the whole Apollo/Dee thing. I was never a big fan of that plotline to begin with, but just before she shot herself I was finally thinking that it might be going somewhere good. Genius writing, I think.

Last edited by DeafPoet; January 19 2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Sloppy formatting. Also, Apollo/Lee is masturbation
Old January 19 2009, 06:59 PM   #229
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Dee shhoting herself was stupid if she not a Cylon, made no sense why she would do it but even after all that negative, I loved the acting and undertone of the episode.
Dee killing herself made sense to me. She put her faith in Adama and Roslin getting the fleet to Earth so they could finally be safe from Cylon attacks, and now she realises that her torturous existence will probably never end. When you're in a dark place and you can no longer see the light at the end of the tunnel, what is the point in going on? That's why a lot of suicides happen in real life.

I was worried they would try to explain this to the audience in the morgue scene, but I'm very happy that they decided to show and not tell.

DeafPoet wrote: View Post
Also, her scenes with Lee kind of redeemed the whole Apollo/Dee thing. I was never a big fan of that plotline to begin with, but just before she shot herself I was finally thinking that it might be going somewhere good. Genius writing, I think.
I had the same reaction. I felt her character was ruined by how she treated Billy in season two and just wanted her to get blowed up real good, but that last Lee/Dee scene actually felt real for the first time. I began to remember how I liked her back in season one, then BANG! Thompson and Weddle are heartless bastards.
Old January 20 2009, 12:53 AM   #230
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Any word yet on a podcast?
Old January 20 2009, 01:45 AM   #231
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Iasius wrote: View Post
It seems that SciFi is holding them back and only including them as part of the 'enhanced' version of the episode on Hulu and SciFi Rewind.

If you're not a US resident, you'll have to access them via a VPN service such as Hotspot Shield.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old January 20 2009, 03:24 AM   #232
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
...there research told them that people got board waiting for the show to start and switch over
Where research?

People got wood waiting for the show?
Dexter Fans Do, an Intro can set a mood, too many shows abandon their intro's
Old January 20 2009, 03:29 AM   #233
Dave Scarpa
Lieutenant Commander

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
Magic_Al wrote: View Post

I don't think there was any suggestion of time travel with Starbuck. Earth was nuked 2,000 years ago. Starbuck's body and the wreckage looked only several months old and appeared to be where it had fallen, like Space Shuttle Columbia debris and crew remains in Texas, not moved or buried and more decomposed like it would have been after 2,000 years of weather and wildlife and floods.

The dead Starbuck died when her Viper exploded, just as Apollo saw. The wreckage then went through a wormhole and fell out of the sky over Earth. The Starbuck who took the pictures of Earth and returned to the fleet must have been created in the wormhole and emerged separately, but any explanation for her is speculation.
By the same tech that allowed the Cylons to survive the holocaust on Earth.
If that were the case Kara would be a Cylon; and she's not. Personally, I think her character will be an homage of sorts to 'The Ship of Lights' from BSG1978. It's the one element fom the original we haven't seen tied in yet; and while I don't think RDM is bringing other 'divine aliens' into this; I think Kara wil be revealed to have been ressurected by some 'divine' type of mechanism.

Overall, I'm not impressed so far as it all harkens back to some very cliche elements. We now know that while the 13th Tribe (of Cylons) named the planet 'Earth' (There's a good reason why they never bothered to show any moon in the orbital shots ); the final planet the fleet finds and lands on will be the planet that is actually our Earth - and that'll happen in the 9th or last episode.

I also find it funny that to create drama now - RDM is going back to a plotline he should have continued back in the second season when it made more sense - namely that Tom Zarek is leading a breakaway/disgruntled faction that will cause a civil war in the Fleet. that combined with the 'other' Cylons (led now by Cavil) that are looking for our band to finish them off gives the last external drama RDM needs now that the 'looking for Earth' drama is over with. The one thing that does bother me is that in RDM's BSG universe, life and habitable planets are EXTREMELY rare; and this was stated by Adama himself back in season one; so I'm surprised he's so confident now that he can find one for the Fleet now.

Again, I hope it gets better because all this was very underwhelming 'drama for drama's sake, imo. I also lost a lot of respect for Adama, NOT because he tried to attempt suicide; but he was so wishy-washy about it; he ciouldn't bring himself to just do it; and hoped to get Tigh to take catre of it for him. I realiz the crew is supposed to be colonial dregs, etc; but you'd think the Admiral would be man enough to pull the trigger himself if he really wanted to end it.

As for Dee's suicide. meh - hated the whole Apollo/Dee storyline and riomance to begin with, as they had ZERO chemistry on-screen and the actress palying Dee has always been nediocre at best and hould have never risen above 'glorified extra' status to begin with; so to have her shoot herself was again (imo); drama for drama's sake.

Overall, I gave this episode a Poor - I hope the remaini ng nine improve quick.
Actually Kara finding the Ship after the Warning Leoben gave her felt alot like When Apollo told Anne Lockhart not to look in Iblis Crashed vessel.
Old January 20 2009, 07:54 PM   #234
hxclespaulplayer
Commander

Aragorn wrote: View Post
In the final episode, Rocky Balboa will come out and join hands with Bill Adama and Cavil and say, "If I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!"
Rocky Balboa wrote:
During this fall of the twelve colonies, I've seen a lot of changing, in the way you cylons feel about us, and in the way we feel about you.
:P
Old January 21 2009, 12:43 AM   #235
N-121973
Commander

I just watched the episode on Sky 1 here in the UK and just a note or two. During the scene where Tigh flashbacks to Ellen during the destruction of the 13th tribe, the alarm in the background sounded like the alert klaxon from BSG78. Also I liked it when Leoben said to Kara: 'You may not like what you find' Dr. Zaius' line to Charlton Heston from The Planet of the Apes. I wonder if the episode's writers realised that the images of Earth from the final scene of the previous episode would evoke parallels with the final scene of that film?
Old January 21 2009, 03:48 AM   #236
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

N-121973 wrote: View Post
Also I liked it when Leoben said to Kara: 'You may not like what you find' Dr. Zaius' line to Charlton Heston from The Planet of the Apes. I wonder if the episode's writers realised that the images of Earth from the final scene of the previous episode would evoke parallels with the final scene of that film?
Undoubtedly. nuBSG has been shamelessly intertextural, what with pillaging dialogue from Apocalypse Now, its references to Seinfeld and Cheers, and of course the appropriation of "All Along the Watchtower."
Old January 21 2009, 04:54 AM   #237
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Looks like BSG's ratings were pretty good...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Ratings-...s-1001903.aspx
Old January 21 2009, 10:19 AM   #238
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

The Stig wrote: View Post
Iasius wrote: View Post
It seems that SciFi is holding them back and only including them as part of the 'enhanced' version of the episode on Hulu and SciFi Rewind.

If you're not a US resident, you'll have to access them via a VPN service such as Hotspot Shield.
I just downloaded it from itunes.
Old January 21 2009, 01:32 PM   #239
Kchunda
Commander

^ Sweet. Thanks for the heads up - I quit looking for it.
Old January 21 2009, 05:28 PM   #240
Jax
Admiral

Good News for the ratings...

New York, NY – January 20, 2009 – The final episodes of the Emmy and Peabody-winning series Battlestar Galactica made their highly-anticipated debut on Friday, January 16 at 10pm. The season 4.5 premiere episode, “Sometimes a Great Notion,” earned a 1.6 Household rating, over 1.3 million Adults 18-49, over 1.4 million Adults 25-54 and more than 2.1 million total viewers.
Battlestar was the #1 cable program in the 10pm hour among Men 18-49 and Men 25-54, and SCI FI scored as the #3 cable entertainment network of the night among Adults 25-54 and #4 among Adults 18-49. Friday’s episode delivered double-digit increases versus the show’s highly-rated season 4.0 average – +23% in Household ratings and total viewers, +21% in Adults 18-49 and +15% in Adults 25-54
Viewers also flocked to SCIFI.COM, the official online destination for all things Battlestar Galactica, making it the best day for the Website since 11/1/08 in page views, best day since 10/31/08 in uniques and best day since 10/7/06 in video streams. The Battlestar Galactica section of SCIFI.COM had its best day since 4/4/08 (season 4.0 premiere) in page views and uniques and best day in video since 10/7/06.