Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 197 71.38%
Above Average 53 19.20%
Average 16 5.80%
Below Average 7 2.54%
Poor 3 1.09%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 18 2009, 07:03 AM   #196
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Excellent! Dang, it's great to see BSG back, particularly in top form. It had some great revelations, great character moments, surprises, and I can't wait for more! I had stayed totally spoiler free so I don't know what was expected or not but it great going in without knowing anything for sure.

The four slowly recalling their memories was touching and interesting. Seeing their last moments in that other life. The, of course, the big reveal that Helen was the final Cylon along with the idea that they were planning on "rebirth". Regarding the 2000 year gap in their memories. I wonder if their rebirth couldn't happen until the proper technology came into being again? So, when our cylons developed skin jobs and the ability to download, the "final" (now the "first" more accurately) could be reborn? At any rate, I had no idea that it would be Helen. I thought she was gone for good.

Starbuck finding her viper. This wasn't a surprise to me at all. In fact, I was so convinced of this theory before that I'd forgotten that it wasn't established "fact". But, her reactions and all were great.

For Roslin, at first I thought her reaction to Earth, to retreat and not make the big announcement, was selfish and immature. But the plot quickly corrected me on that. She's the one who pushed for that path and at the moment it appears it was totally the wrong decision and it was all attributable to her. Well played!

Dee, hmmm. Is there more to it than an apparent suicide planned to go out on a happy note? My guess is that it's not despite my first thoughts that she'd somehow be reborn. She just couldn't bear reality and had to go out on a high note. Telling to me was how she responded to Lee's proposition to have a drink with him. She said, "It's a date." Which is literally a statement of fact. It is a date. She didn't say she'd be there or that she'd be looking forward to it.

Adama and Tigh were great as usual! Lee ditto. But had to wonder why they had him relive his stirring speech (which was a knockout) rather than showing the actual speech. Was Bamber not up to the oratory? But, I"m guess they wanted to focus on Lee and Dee having a fantastic night in order to show the context for her "glowing". It worked, as did everything else.

Mr Awe
Old January 18 2009, 07:09 AM   #197
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

DontFeedPhil wrote: View Post
I dont understand that. Werent they trying to imply that Starbucks was the final Cylon...Then at the end the say that tighs old lady was? What the frak?
Apparently she was resurrected by whatever resurrected the "final" five. So, she's a new Cylong.

Mr Awe
Old January 18 2009, 07:45 AM   #198
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Frak. Solid Excellent.

What has happened with Weddle & Thompson? Their stuff on DS9 was underwhelming, but I've noticed that they consistently write some of BSG's most outstanding episodes.

I'd feel annoyed that there are only a few episodes to go, but this story feels like it's careening madly towards its conclusion. The ending is the most important part of any story, so I'm hoping for something incredible out of this.

Starbuck finding the Viper came as a surprise to me. I'd been figuring that she couldn't possibly be a Cylon (new, old or whatever). Ellen as the Fifth, eh...not sure that really works for me, she's not a compelling enough character. OTOH, it's more of a surprise than if it had been The Obvious Candidates (Bill, Lee, Roslin, Baltar).

But how the frak is she an "Adama"?

Next week: Zarek mixes it up! Finally!

"FRAK EARTH"
Loved that. My thought: yeah, I can relate to that every now and again...
Old January 18 2009, 08:19 AM   #199
Candlelight
Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Candlelight wrote: View Post
Magic_Al wrote: View Post

I don't think there was any suggestion of time travel with Starbuck. Earth was nuked 2,000 years ago. Starbuck's body and the wreckage looked only several months old and appeared to be where it had fallen, like Space Shuttle Columbia debris and crew remains in Texas, not moved or buried and more decomposed like it would have been after 2,000 years of weather and wildlife and floods.

The dead Starbuck died when her Viper exploded, just as Apollo saw. The wreckage then went through a wormhole and fell out of the sky over Earth. The Starbuck who took the pictures of Earth and returned to the fleet must have been created in the wormhole and emerged separately, but any explanation for her is speculation.
By the same tech that allowed the Cylons to survive the holocaust on Earth.
If that were the case Kara would be a Cylon; and she's not. Personally, I think her character will be an homage of sorts to 'The Ship of Lights' from BSG1978.
That's what I was getting at. I said same technology, not same Cylon technique. She died on Earth and was reborn like the final five, so whatever happened 2000 years ago is still in effect - and we may yet see many resurrected characters....
Old January 18 2009, 10:55 AM   #200
chrisspringob
Commodore

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
I've read some speculation on how long the wreck and Starbucks body had been on Earth... Some think there may be time travel involved.

I don't think so. I think this is where her wrecked ship and herself ended up after disappearing/dying in the maelstrom storm. No time travel involved. The same 'force' that rebuilt her and her fighter transported her dead/dying body to Earth.
DYING, I pretty sure Starbuck's original body was instanly deep fried meaning just dead thats kind of why her flight suite and helmet were black and why the body was scorched looking.
But then why wasn't her hair burned, or even singed? That's why I don't think it makes sense for her to have been burned. I thought her corpse was in such a state just because of normal decomposition, not burning. But it looked to me like much more than just a few months worth of decomposition (not that I'm an expert on such things). That's why I was wondering if time travel was involved.
Old January 18 2009, 11:01 AM   #201
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

There has to be either an external force playing into this or one or more of the cylon models in on the game. How else can we explain Kara's viper being flung such a distance in such a short time. In addition the explanation of the new Kara/viper. Hmmm....
Old January 18 2009, 03:18 PM   #202
Magic_Al
Captain

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
But had to wonder why they had him relive his stirring speech (which was a knockout) rather than showing the actual speech. Was Bamber not up to the oratory?
More likely the budget wasn't up to a Quorum scene.
Old January 18 2009, 03:20 PM   #203
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
TheInsideMan wrote: View Post
I guess were done with the "ONE WILL BE REVEALED" titles.
Looks like they're done with the opening theme/montage too, unless its absence from this episode was a one-off thing.
They've cut the opening theme before. I think it's just to steal time when a story is too long and they can't cut anymore. If the montage wasn't such a good recap of the miniseries for new viewers I could see them dropping it for good. I guess they're no longer "IN SEARCH OF A HOME CALLED EARTH" though, and maybe there are no more new viewers.
Sci fi told SGA to lose there theme they told them it was because there research told them that people got board waiting for the show to start and switch over
I think they just want more ad time.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Old January 18 2009, 03:29 PM   #204
SiddFinch1
Commander

Wow. Lots of new thoughts and info to absorb.

Dee suicide shocked me as well.
Kara 2.0 may be tied into the Ship of Lights/Lords of Kobol from TOS, or not
Will Ellen have regerated somewhere, somehow to provide answers?
Is it really Earth- so far no moon, no recongnizable landmasses or landmarks, settings- could the real Earth be out there still?
Old January 18 2009, 07:19 PM   #205
DBR
Vice Admiral

Excellent.

Kind of a depressing episode, everyone was falling apart. Dualla: I didn't see that one coming.

Something is up with Baltar, I don't know what yet. I felt he was mysteriously absent this episode. The final four, Kara, Ellen... but very little Baltar.

I can not wait until next week!!!
Old January 18 2009, 07:24 PM   #206
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

But had to wonder why they had him relive his stirring speech (which was a knockout) rather than showing the actual speech. Was Bamber not up to the oratory?
And probably because the story was with Dualla and her suicide, not another boringand extraneous Quorum scene. Moreover, Bamber in the Baltar's trail had the "Howard Rourke" speech and did a dame fine job. So I say he was up to an oratory.
Old January 18 2009, 08:47 PM   #207
Saul
Rear Admiral

Excellent although i'll just say that i didn't believe that Ellen actually was the final Cylon. When Dee shot herself I thought it was a set up for a later event and then there's starbuck. Anyone else felt unsure if Tigh was right or not?

But it makes sense. How she had first appeared. So I guess Baltar knew she was a Cylon.

I was also wondering if 6 was like related to her in a way.

Also Moore had said that the clue for the final Cylon was in Season 3's Finale.
Old January 18 2009, 09:33 PM   #208
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post

But it makes sense. How she had first appeared. So I guess Baltar knew she was a Cylon.
Doesn't add up. When aboard the basestar, Baltar was curious about the final five. He even wanted to know if he was one of them. Never any indication that he knew about one of them already.
Old January 18 2009, 10:00 PM   #209
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

middyseafort wrote: View Post
And probably because the story was with Dualla and her suicide, not another boringand extraneous Quorum scene. Moreover, Bamber in the Baltar's trail had the "Howard Rourke" speech and did a dame fine job. So I say he was up to an oratory.
That's my thought, the writers wisely left the scene out. We weren't distracted by the public's reaction, letting us focus on the main character's reactions. I thought it was brilliant writing by not including something. The Quorum scene shifts the focus to "Lee's in charge" and the reaction of the rest of the fleet -- without it we have a more personal and heartbreaking story.

-nobody
Old January 18 2009, 10:49 PM   #210
Q2UnME
Commodore

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
I've read some speculation on how long the wreck and Starbucks body had been on Earth... Some think there may be time travel involved.

I don't think so. I think this is where her wrecked ship and herself ended up after disappearing/dying in the maelstrom storm. No time travel involved. The same 'force' that rebuilt her and her fighter transported her dead/dying body to Earth.
DYING, I pretty sure Starbuck's original body was instantly deep fried meaning just dead that's kind of why her flight suite and helmet were black and why the body was scorched looking.
But then why wasn't her hair burned, or even singed? That's why I don't think it makes sense for her to have been burned. I thought her corpse was in such a state just because of normal decomposition, not burning. But it looked to me like much more than just a few months worth of decomposition (not that I'm an expert on such things). That's why I was wondering if time travel was involved.
Based on dialog from several episodes, it appears that Kara1.0 had been on earth approx 5 to 6 months. Given the state of the viper, smashed helmet face shield and exposure to weather/environment/critters, I think the level of decomp of Kara1.0 to be just about right.

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot