Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 197 71.38%
Above Average 53 19.20%
Average 16 5.80%
Below Average 7 2.54%
Poor 3 1.09%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17 2009, 10:11 PM   #166
propita
Rear Admiral

Re: Battlestar Galactica 4x11: "Sometimes a Great Notion"

Supposedly, Starbuck doesn't get closure, though the other characters do.

What if her appearing on Earth (crashing)--and I have no idea how she got there--was the cause of the death of Earth? Somehow?

As for Tigh and Ellen--no matter what, no matter how each of them was--they loved each other completely. And I think it adds more pathos to Tigh killing her. First, he thought he was human and she betrayed him/them by sleeping with cylons. Then, when learning he was a cylon (of some kind), he realized that he killed her for doing exactly what she had been doing all along--sleeping with a cylon. Now, he finds out that none of it even mattered, not her sleeping with the cylon, not his killing her, not his guilt all this time about it.

I agree with those that these 5 seem to actually be reborn somehow, so maybe Tigh's kid with Six is Ellen--but that'd be kinda grossly incestuous somehow, unless one of the Final Five was always needed for rebith of one of them. Sounds stupid, I know.

So, who is Roslin screaming at in the previews? Is she really "the dying leader"?
Where does Hera fit in all this? She better somehow, with all the buildup and dreams/visions. And what of Nicky? Does he matter at all?

I did like how both sides were just in shock and seemed to realize there was no point in fighting anymore--what both thought was a human planet was actually a cylon planet. What a mindf**k!

And loved Leoben's fear of Starbuck. Does he or do es he not know more than he lets on? And was Starbuck's burning "her" body so that no one else would know, or what? I guess she did lead them to their destruction--now both groups are kinda united more than before (well, not the others--Cavil and them).
Old January 17 2009, 10:20 PM   #167
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I got the impression Kara burned her body so no one would find out. She apparently hasn't told anyone, she told the colonials apparently that she couldn't find the signal. I think she was going to tell Lee when she came on board the presidents ship, but then she learned of Dee and didn't tell him.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old January 17 2009, 10:38 PM   #168
Magic_Al
Captain

propita wrote: View Post
What if her appearing on Earth (crashing)--and I have no idea how she got there--was the cause of the death of Earth? Somehow?
I don't think there was any suggestion of time travel with Starbuck. Earth was nuked 2,000 years ago. Starbuck's body and the wreckage looked only several months old and appeared to be where it had fallen, like Space Shuttle Columbia debris and crew remains in Texas, not moved or buried and more decomposed like it would have been after 2,000 years of weather and wildlife and floods.

The dead Starbuck died when her Viper exploded, just as Apollo saw. The wreckage then went through a wormhole and fell out of the sky over Earth. The Starbuck who took the pictures of Earth and returned to the fleet must have been created in the wormhole and emerged separately, but any explanation for her is speculation.
Old January 17 2009, 10:40 PM   #169
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
consistent with Starbuck finding a centuries old corpse of herself
Was it centuries old? I thought it was just damage to her body from fire (i.e. the explosion of her Viper) that made it look like that.
So you finally started watching, huh?
Like I said, last year I watched the final scene of "Revelations" (I already knew what it would be) and it did intrigue me. And I liked this episode as well. It won't make me start over from scratch, but don't say I never tried it out.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old January 17 2009, 10:53 PM   #170
Gregsmack
Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
If you think that this episode was really bleak and depressing then I'd hate to see your reaction to The Wire or The Shield.
I was thinking the exact same thing. 'Sometimes a Great Notion' was pretty damn bleak and it only looks like it's going to get worse from here, but for me I don't think anything can out-bleak The Shield's 'Family Meeting.' Good god.
That was only one storyline though, BSG is thoroughly bleak and depressing sometimes.
Fair enough. Good point. RDM and co. really have a unique knack for piling it on beginning to end.
Old January 17 2009, 11:08 PM   #171
Lord Garth

Excellent

I've never seen so many things I didn't see coming in a single episode before.

Old January 17 2009, 11:11 PM   #172
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Gregsmack wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
If you think that this episode was really bleak and depressing then I'd hate to see your reaction to The Wire or The Shield.
I was thinking the exact same thing. 'Sometimes a Great Notion' was pretty damn bleak and it only looks like it's going to get worse from here, but for me I don't think anything can out-bleak The Shield's 'Family Meeting.' Good god.
That was only one storyline though, BSG is thoroughly bleak and depressing sometimes.
I don't know, I find it to be a pleasant distraction from my life.

Excellent episode. They made me like Dee for the first time since season 2, and then they put a gun to her head and killed her. Awesome!

As for Ellen being the fifth; it doesn't bother me so much, I would prefer it to be her than Roslin or Adama, but I guess I'll have to see the final nine to see how all this works out.
Old January 17 2009, 11:35 PM   #173
TheInsideMan
Commodore

Forgotten how good this show is.

I guess were done with the "ONE WILL BE REVEALED" titles.

Much needed moments of humour from Lee as well, "real estate prices are really low."
Old January 17 2009, 11:47 PM   #174
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

GodBen wrote: View Post
Excellent episode. They made me like Dee for the first time since season 2, and then they put a gun to her head and killed her. Awesome!
That's pretty much what they did with Cally, too. I've learned: if a secondary character suddenly gets a lot of development in an episode, they're going to die.
Old January 18 2009, 12:23 AM   #175
Agent Richard07
Admiral

TheInsideMan wrote: View Post
Looks like they're done with the opening theme/montage too, unless its absence from this episode was a one-off thing.
Old January 18 2009, 01:05 AM   #176
kipron
Rear Admiral

This episode was wonderfully understated. Excellent? More like perfect.

Did anyone else notice that Dee has become just like "Athena" from Kobol? Suicide borne of despair..oddly enough the equivalent character on TOS was named Athena as well.

Could be coincidence. i wonder..
Old January 18 2009, 01:12 AM   #177
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Looks like they're done with the opening theme/montage too, unless its absence from this episode was a one-off thing.
I noticed that, too. And there was no music for that whole opening sequence. Creepy.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for an opening for the rest of the season/series.
Old January 18 2009, 01:16 AM   #178
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

Was it centuries old? I thought it was just damage to her body from fire (i.e. the explosion of her Viper) that made it look like that.
So you finally started watching, huh?
Like I said, last year I watched the final scene of "Revelations" (I already knew what it would be) and it did intrigue me. And I liked this episode as well. It won't make me start over from scratch, but don't say I never tried it out.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said you "didn't try it out"; as I recall, my previous confusion was more about your steadfast refusal to actually watch the show, despite talking about it here and there. As I remember, you were interested enough to comment on the show, to read plot points, to check up on the BSG wiki, complain about various things you didn't like, or be snarky, but the one thing you refused to do was actually sit and watch the show. It was almost amusing because you put so much effort in to the show, why not just watch the damn thing?

Anyway. I'm glad you liked the show. I would highly suggest you watch the entire series from the beginning as it will add texture, meaning and definition to things you probably have no idea about because you don't actually watch the show. Further, given your reasons for not liking the series, I'm quite impressed you could find last night's episode entertaining at all.
Old January 18 2009, 01:18 AM   #179
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I noticed that, too. And there was no music for that whole opening sequence. Creepy.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for an opening for the rest of the season/series.
Doubtful. They did this before with "Crossroads." More than likely, the show open was omitted for this episode to save time and include as much story as possible.
Old January 18 2009, 01:39 AM   #180
Candlelight
Admiral

All of humanity are Cylons.

The colonials destroyed the 13th tribe 2000 years ago and now the Cylons nuke the twelve colonies centuries later.

Dee's suicide was obvious even before she walked into the room.

Only four Cylons were on the fleet, which explains why Three knew straight away who was left.

Great episode. Can't wait for next week.