RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 415
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 2 2009, 07:58 AM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

James Franco joins General Hospital -- a soap opera. Huh?!?!?

Zap2It.com article

The article says he will be making an extended guest run starting on Nov. 20. It also says he approached them to appear on the show.

Now film actors doing primetime TV because their offers have been drying up is common (Jeff Goldblum, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Geena Davis, etc.), but daytime TV? That usually only happens when TV offers dry up (Corbin Bernsen).

Maybe Franco will never become the leading man people predicted of him because all the movies where he's the lead suck, but he still gets plenty of film work and supporting roles in a lot of good movies. So what's his motivation?
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: James Franco joins General Hospital -- a soap opera. Huh?!?!?

Maybe he just thinks it would be an interesting change of pace? It's not like his film career has floundered or anything.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Perhaps he's just a fan of the show and thought it would be fun to appear on it. I really don't think he's sensing his film career drying up anytime soon -- I'm certainly not. He had a significant role in the Spider-Man movies, and they've been huge; Pineapple Express did solid business, and Milk, while not a box office blockbuster, received a lot of acclaim (mostly for Sean Penn and the story, I'll grant you, but I don't think Franco was singled out as a weak link or anything).

So, yeah, I'm inclined to think he's a fan of GH, or perhaps a close family member is, and he's fulfilling their wish by appearing on the show.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Joy
Commodore

The chance to see James Franco five times a week? Yeah, I'll definitely be watching.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Nathan Fillion has reprised his role of "Joey" on the soap One Life To Live a few times because he likes the people there.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Well, maybe he wanted to see what it would be like to work on a soap opera? He'd better do it now while he still can. The genre is a dying breed that likely will vanish within the next few years.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
Well, maybe he wanted to see what it would be like to work on a soap opera? He'd better do it now while he still can. The genre is a dying breed that likely will vanish within the next few years.
And it's dying because the scripts & characters are unrealistic, unlike British soaps (Coronation Street, Emmerdale & East Enders), which all have high ratings and are in no danger of going off of the air. Maybe someone should do an adaptation of Emmerdale for American TV.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 05:38 AM   #8
nx1701g
Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
And it's dying because the scripts & characters are unrealistic, unlike British soaps (Coronation Street, Emmerdale & East Enders), which all have high ratings and are in no danger of going off of the air. Maybe someone should do an adaptation of Emmerdale for American TV.
What you mean you don't have alien abduction plots, people being possessed by their dead family members, or the long lost identical twin sister of a dead character comes to town stories?
Old October 6 2009, 05:39 AM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral

Don't forget kids who age 15 years overnight. Or villains who fake their death 10 times and everyone believes it each time.
Old October 6 2009, 05:50 AM   #10
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Maybe he thinks it'll be like doing theater, only with a different story every day. I may tune in just to see what he'll be like. Will his movie caliber acting overshadow daytime regulars or will it fit seamlessly? I thought he was pretty bad hosting SNL.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

Having a movie career doesn't mean you're a better actor (i.e. Channing Tatum, Josh Hartnett). One thing to take into account with soaps is that you film an entire episode in one day, meaning little time to rehearse a lot of dialog in a lot of scenes, and you can't do take after take after take. Couple that with the crappy writing, and even good actors will come across as less than stellar. On the other hand, soaps are the No. 1 offender when it comes to casting pretty people who can't act and have no talent to even develop.
Old October 6 2009, 06:52 AM   #12
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

It's a paycheck.
Old October 6 2009, 07:22 AM   #13
nx1701g
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
It's a paycheck.
Good point.

Apparently Terminator alum Jonathan Jackson's also returning to the series.
Old October 6 2009, 12:20 PM   #14
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

nx1701g wrote: View Post
What you mean you don't have alien abduction plots, people being possessed by their dead family members, or the long lost identical twin sister of a dead character comes to town stories?
Well, I'm not a Brit, but a Canadian who has seen both soaps.

And yes, British soaps don't have those stupid plots in them at all-at least not Coronation Street, Emmerdale & East Enders.

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Don't forget kids who age 15 years overnight. Or villains who fake their death 10 times and everyone believes it each time.
Those ones especially.

See, I think that if the American soaps reflected real life, they'd get, or keep viewers. But as the stunt casting of Franco shows, they haven't learned their lesson.

Case in point:

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Having a movie career doesn't mean you're a better actor (i.e. Channing Tatum, Josh Hartnett). One thing to take into account with soaps is that you film an entire episode in one day, meaning little time to rehearse a lot of dialog in a lot of scenes, and you can't do take after take after take. Couple that with the crappy writing, and even good actors will come across as less than stellar. On the other hand, soaps are the No. 1 offender when it comes to casting pretty people who can't act and have no talent to even develop.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 04:48 PM   #15
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Indeed, soap operas have some of the worst writing imaginable. Contrived storylines are created and then drawn out for six months at a time, and instead of moving forward and reaching a climax, they just stay in neutral and then peeter out as if no one cared. Character motivations change at every scene, logic is completely thrown out the window, and ultimately the characters become irrational and irritating.

It amazes me that soap writers and producers still have jobs. The soap opera is a dying breed. Ratings keep plummeting. Soaps are being picked off and cancelled one by one. Did it ever occur to any of these network execs that perhaps the only way to save daytime soaps is to fire the idiots who are running the genre into the ground, and seek talent from outside to re-invent the daytime drama? Smaller casts, focused and interesting stories, quicker pacing and more intelligent writing could actually hold viewers' interests.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote