Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 23 2009, 11:57 PM   #91
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: "John Carter of Mars" Moving Ahead!

Why is it every single bit of news I hear about this film gives me greater confidence for it?

That usually doesn't happen. Can I please get a bad bit of casting or a churlish interview or give George Lucas an advisory job or something, because until then I cannot believe this project is real.

Though seriously, that is precisely the attitude to take. As I said in the Avatar thread, Sam Raimi's Warcraft had better also be taking note - hell, any sci-fi/fantasy film with a degree of spectacle that's in any stage of production should take stock of what Avatar did. That includes the next Star Trek, naturally.
Old December 24 2009, 03:36 AM   #92
Ptrope
Agitator

Well, it's also unfortunate that a site mostly devoted to sci-fi, beyond not knowing that Pixar's humans are about as far from the uncanny valley as one can get, intentionally, also thinks that Matai Shang is "ruler over the Fern people," rather than the ruler of the Therns, the white religious idols and manipulators guarding the river Iss; the author makes them sound like Ewoks ...

Still, I tend to side with the actor, who could reasonably have some insight into the reactions of the Pixar producers of the film in which he is cast to the advent of Avatar and its influence on their industry and their future plans.
Old December 24 2009, 03:48 AM   #93
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

After looking at more images of Lynn Collins, I rescind whatever narrow-minded comments I might have previously made about her casting as Dejah Thoris. She does indeed have an exotic/louche quality that I think is perfectly appropriate to the role. Like so. And furthermore.

On IMDB, Edgar Rice Burroughs is now listed as a character in the film. Played by some kid from Torrance? Just what the frak is going on?

However, James Purfoy has now joined the cast? The movie is now an automatic hit. I'm getting dizzy from all the whiplash.

Seriously, folks. I hope this flick is a big fat hit (though I'm starting to get a dislocated sense of underlying chaos that makes me think more along the lines of train wreck) because my real agenda is to get Carson of Venus, my favorite ERB series, to finally hit the big screen. If John Carter flops, Carson has no hope.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 04:18 AM   #94
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

In the books "ERB" always seems to be the guy who hears the stories left by his friends, relations and acquaintances.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2009, 04:34 AM   #95
Ptrope
Agitator

In fact, I'm holding The Gods of Mars in my hands now, and the foreward ends with
There is much which I have left out; much which I have not dared to tell; but you will find the story of his second search for Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, even more remarkable than was his first manuscript which I gave to an unbelieving world a short time since and through which we followed the fighting Virginian across dead sea bottoms under the moons of Mars. - E.R.B.
Burroughs was clearly the autobiographical 'great-nephew' of John Carter, to whom Carter related his tales of Barsoom; he's an original part of the tales themselves, so I'm pretty happy to see they've kept even that connection, rather than rewriting it all. It seems to me that they're trying very hard to remain true not only to the spirit of the novels, but also to many of the details - better than that travesty that Spielberg made of [The] War of the Worlds
Old December 24 2009, 04:47 AM   #96
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Years ago (okay decades ) a friend and I plotted an epic series of novels that went from the Earth's core to Africa to Mars and Venus. One of the main characters was a guy named Edgar Rice Burroughs. I think we made a stop on the Moon too.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2011, 03:06 AM   #97
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

I know htis is thread-necromancy, but Disney now says the relase date for this is 9 March 2012. Less than a year, folks!

Am hoping the Del Rey re-issues their paperback editions of the books, ideally with the Michael Whelan covers from the late '70s. Would also love to see them re-issue John Flint Roy's A Guide to Barsoom.
Old April 11 2011, 03:11 AM   #98
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Any new reprints would probably have movie stills with NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE on the front, sadly
Old April 11 2011, 03:15 AM   #99
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Any new reprints would probably have movie stills with NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE on the front, sadly
You're probably right, but a guy can dream, can't he?

On the plus side, we might get a really spiffy batch of action figures out of this.
Old April 11 2011, 05:27 AM   #100
JRoss
Captain

Go to Powell's Books in Portland if you want them in paperback. B&N has a collected edition of the first three.

It really is time for more figures. The only ones I ever owned were a fixed-pose John and Dejah, ooh, and an awesome Mighty Max.
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2011, 05:36 AM   #101
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=JRoss;4877052]Go to Powell's Books in Portland if you want them in paperback. B&N has a collected edition of the first three.
[/qoute]
Got those, but would really like to have the whole series in the same edition, like the old Ballantine/Del rey set.

It really is time for more figures. The only ones I ever owned were a fixed-pose John and Dejah, ooh, and an awesome Mighty Max.
Didn't even know those existed.
Old April 11 2011, 09:23 AM   #102
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

SFBC has a nice hardcover set of all the stories.
Old April 11 2011, 04:03 PM   #103
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
SFBC has a nice hardcover set of all the stories.
That's where I got most of mine, back in the '70s. Beautiful Frazetta dustcovers and interior illustrations...
Old April 11 2011, 04:51 PM   #104
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

the frazetta covers are the most awesome covers for this series as well as his conan art work . now any idea on who the cast is ?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2011, 08:37 PM   #105
JRoss
Captain

[QUOTE=Mysterion;4877063]
JRoss wrote: View Post
Go to Powell's Books in Portland if you want them in paperback. B&N has a collected edition of the first three.
[/qoute]
Got those, but would really like to have the whole series in the same edition, like the old Ballantine/Del rey set.

Didn't even know those existed.
Only place I ever saw them was a King Super's in Pueblo, CO.
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote