RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 446
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 20 2012, 09:20 AM   #916
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: "John Carter of Mars" Moving Ahead!

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
I hope you're right, but quality and success are two different things. NuTrek was a phenomenon, too, and that was completely uninspired, as well as badly written.
Oh my god.

That's three total people on this board who agree that NuTrek's problems are it's own faults, not teh kanon.
Oh, yeah, there's no need to worry about it being a bad Star Trek movie-- it's just a bad movie.

I'm surprised there's even three....
Old June 20 2012, 09:38 AM   #917
Aeolusdallas
Captain

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
I hope you're right, but quality and success are two different things. NuTrek was a phenomenon, too, and that was completely uninspired, as well as badly written.
Oh my god.

That's three total people on this board who agree that NuTrek's problems are it's own faults, not teh kanon.
Oh, yeah, there's no need to worry about it being a bad Star Trek movie-- it's just a bad movie.

I'm surprised there's even three....
Oh give it up Star Trek was not a bad movie. It was certainly better than the majority of Trek films to date.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 09:50 AM   #918
Warped9
Admiral

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Oh give it up Star Trek was not a bad movie. It was certainly better than the majority of Trek films to date.
No. And I'm sure there are more than three around here.
Old June 20 2012, 01:29 PM   #919
Forbin
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
*raises hand* Four!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 01:39 PM   #920
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Forbin wrote: View Post
*raises hand* Four!
I feel sorry for you. To hate something so fun so much that you can't stop talking about it and threadcrapping about it. If I don't like something I don't waste my time talking about or even thinking about it. i certainly don't take every opportunity to bring it up. Even in threads that have nothing remotely about them.
Aeolusdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 02:05 PM   #921
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Please, stop with the passive-aggressive pretend-pity party. The problem people who don't like Abrams doltish vision of the origin of the Kirk/Spock friendship is that it means there will never be another Trek series or movie that is any good.

That's worth some lamentation. It's not bad taste on our part, it's sorrow. Yes, that implies the bad taste is on your part, but, hey, I watched the damn movie and there's not much way to be diplomatic. I do the best I can with what I've got to work with.
Old June 20 2012, 04:18 PM   #922
Gojira
Commodore

stj wrote: View Post
^^^Please, stop with the passive-aggressive pretend-pity party. The problem people who don't like Abrams doltish vision of the origin of the Kirk/Spock friendship is that it means there will never be another Trek series or movie that is any good.

That's worth some lamentation. It's not bad taste on our part, it's sorrow. Yes, that implies the bad taste is on your part, but, hey, I watched the damn movie and there's not much way to be diplomatic. I do the best I can with what I've got to work with.
Yes, liking any movie is a matter of taste. The problem comes in when we begin judging one another for their taste in movies.
Old June 20 2012, 05:47 PM   #923
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

*raises hand* Four!
Five!

[squints at stj's post] Or is that six?

Honestly, I enjoyed the story except for three plot points:

• the extraordinary coincidence of Kirk, Old Spock, and Scotty being marooned on the same planet within walking distance of each other;
  • the idea that jettisoning and detonating the warp cores would do something the warp engines couldn't;
  • handing Kirk the Enterprise fresh out of the Academy with only one success under his belt.
As it is, it was a fun, dumb adventure. A bit like Battleship, which I also had problems with, but enjoyed.
Old June 20 2012, 07:39 PM   #924
Forbin
Admiral

*raises hand* Four!
I feel sorry for you. To hate something so fun so much that you can't stop talking about it and threadcrapping about it. If I don't like something I don't waste my time talking about or even thinking about it. i certainly don't take every opportunity to bring it up. Even in threads that have nothing remotely about them.
Thank heaven there is someone out there in netland who is SO MUCH better than me!

Thank you for feeling sorry for me. It's rare that such a superior being would lower themselves to feel compassion for someone so clearly undeserving.

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 09:09 PM   #925
Warped9
Admiral

*raises hand* Four!
Thank you for your pity. That said we didn't raise the issue. We were talking about John Carter and someone else raised ST09. When they said there were only three people around here objecting to ST09 we simply added ourselves to the count.

We're up to six or seven now, right?
Old June 20 2012, 09:10 PM   #926
stj
Rear Admiral

Gojira wrote: View Post
Yes, liking any movie is a matter of taste. The problem comes in when we begin judging one another for their taste in movies.
I feel sorry for you. It must be terrible to be so haunted by such fear of inadequacy that a fan bitching about a terrible movie that you personally like makes you feel "judged."

Psion wrote: View Post
Five!

[squints at stj's post] Or is that six?

Honestly, I enjoyed the story except for three plot points:

• the extraordinary coincidence of Kirk, Old Spock, and Scotty being marooned on the same planet within walking distance of each other;
  • the idea that jettisoning and detonating the warp cores would do something the warp engines couldn't;
  • handing Kirk the Enterprise fresh out of the Academy with only one success under his belt.
As it is, it was a fun, dumb adventure. A bit like Battleship, which I also had problems with, but enjoyed.
You liked it a lot more than I did, so I'd say I make the fifth one.
Old June 20 2012, 09:11 PM   #927
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

*raises hand* Four!
Thank you for your pity. That said we didn't raise the issue. We were talking about John Carter and someone else raised ST09. When they said there were only three people around here objecting to ST09 we simply added ourselves to the count.

Actually, I think only 3 or 4 of you chimed in, so, you gotta subtract the originally stated 3 from that

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 09:20 PM   #928
Warped9
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Actually, I think only 3 or 4 of you chimed in, so, you gotta subtract the originally stated 3 from that
Oh, well I didn't automatically assume I was one of the three.
Old June 20 2012, 09:38 PM   #929
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

I honestly didn't think that remark would stir up as much vitriol (and butthurt) as it did. That's the reason I stopped talking about NuTrek/ST09 shortly after release.

"My Bad."

Let's return to the discussion about a semi-lame version of John Carter OF MOTHERFLIPPIN' MARS.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2012, 10:37 PM   #930
Gojira
Commodore

stj wrote: View Post
Gojira wrote: View Post
I feel sorry for you. It must be terrible to be so haunted by such fear of inadequacy that a fan bitching about a terrible movie that you personally like makes you feel "judged."
I didn't mean that at all!! Far from it. My statement was not intended to be perceived as any type of an attack. I apologize if I was not clear enough. So I will restate it.

Movies are a personal preference. I have no problem when people hate a particular movie or love a particular movie.

I don't think we should bash people based on their preferences.

I don't think a person should be bashed if they hate a movie
I don't think a person should be bashed for liking a movie.

I hope that was clearer.

Last edited by Gojira; June 20 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Gojira is offline   Reply With Quote