Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 22 2012, 12:07 PM   #781
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: "John Carter of Mars" Moving Ahead!

I remember the seventh Saw movie was released in theaters as Saw 3D, but then renamed to Saw: The Final Chapter when it was released on DVD. Having not seen it in theaters, it confused the heck out of me--I thought they were originally two different movies.
Old April 22 2012, 12:55 PM   #782
Mr Light
Admiral

Raiders of the Lost Ark is now officially Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 12:58 PM   #783
Dream
Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
Raiders of the Lost Ark is now officially Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
Only on the packaging. It is still just called ROTLA in the movie.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 01:51 PM   #784
The Wormhole
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Movies have been distributed in various territories under various names, sure, but it's almost unheard of for a film to have its name changed for its release on home video (or even theatrical re-release). I mean, outside of Star Wars (which became, of course, Star Wars: Episode IV -- A New Hope, I can't think of another example. Am I just forgetting a bunch of films?
Well, when TWOK was originally released it was just Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Subsequent re-releases changed it to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. But you're right, this is very rare, and the changed titles are usually very subtle.
Old April 22 2012, 03:23 PM   #785
Warped9
Admiral

Many, many years ago there was a Roger Moore film that went by the name of ffolks in theatrical release. When it showed up later on television and even home video it went by another name, which I'm damned if I can recall now.
Old April 22 2012, 03:36 PM   #786
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Many, many years ago there was a Roger Moore film that went by the name of ffolks in theatrical release. When it showed up later on television and even home video it went by another name, which I'm damned if I can recall now.
That one had three titles. It was North Sea Hijack in the UK, Ffolkes internationally and Assault Force on TV.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 04:04 PM   #787
Warped9
Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Warped9 wrote: View Post
That one had three titles. It was North Sea Hijack in the UK, Ffolkes internationally and Assault Force on TV.
Thats right. Thanks.
Old April 22 2012, 04:06 PM   #788
Forbin
Admiral

Read A Princess of Mars a couple of months ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I'm in the middle of Gods of Mars right now, and I'm not enjoying it as much. Burroughs seems to have amped up the level of ridiculousness and flowery Shakespeareanesque dialog. Plus, okay I know we have 100 years of story cliches under out belts since then, but it took Carter something like FIVE chapters to realize that the half-white boy who looked like Deja Thoris and had his own figthing style and super-strength was his son. Oh come ON!
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 04:10 PM   #789
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

How about Horror of the Blood Monsters (1970) aka Vampire Men of the Lost Planet aka Creatures of the Prehistoric Planet aka Creatures of the Red Planet aka Space Mission to the Lost Planet, etc....
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 04:28 PM   #790
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Forbin wrote: View Post
I'm in the middle of Gods of Mars right now, and I'm not enjoying it as much. Burroughs seems to have amped up the level of ridiculousness and flowery Shakespeareanesque dialog.
I found Gods tough going myself a few months ago.

Forbin wrote: View Post
Plus, okay I know we have 100 years of story cliches under out belts since then, but it took Carter something like FIVE chapters to realize that the half-white boy who looked like Dejah Thoris and had his own figthing style and super-strength was his son. Oh come ON!
Honestly, I always found John Carter to be a little dim.

His fighting prowess is unmatched. He's an adept and forceful leader of men... err, Martians. His tactical genius is unquestioned. But when it comes to head smarts and recognizing what's in front of his face? He's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 07:41 PM   #791
Harvey
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Movies have been distributed in various territories under various names, sure, but it's almost unheard of for a film to have its name changed for its release on home video (or even theatrical re-release). I mean, outside of Star Wars (which became, of course, Star Wars: Episode IV -- A New Hope, I can't think of another example. Am I just forgetting a bunch of films?
Well, when TWOK was originally released it was just Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. Subsequent re-releases changed it to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. But you're right, this is very rare, and the changed titles are usually very subtle.
I believe that was only the title on very early prints of the movie; it had already been changed to add the "II" during the movie's first run (which was reflected in the marketing). But it was slightly tweaked, yes.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 08:42 PM   #792
nvek86
Commander

Another sign that Disney probably won't be pursuing a sequel: Rich Ross resigned as chairman, partly because of the John Carter.

http://thegrindstone.com/mentor/afte...y-studios-351/

It's really quite a shame. I thought it was a good film and now most will just remember it as a big flop.
Old April 22 2012, 09:22 PM   #793
Warped9
Admiral

John Carter will go on to earn a better rep in home video and television reruns as people see it wasn't the crapfest that so many made it out to be. Really, it was stupid how many seemed to jump on to the bandwagon pissing on a film that a lot of them probably never saw. People can be like lemmings.

The shitty promotion for the film was lacklustre yet still I'm glad something still came through to interest me because upon seeing I was thoroughly entertained. After that I have nothing but scorn for those who dissed the film without seeing it themselves and just accepting "the word" going around. Here's a case of going viral in a bad way. Whereas studios usually hope something goes viral to interest the most number of people to see their film here's a case where the idea the film was bad went viral before it was even released.
Old April 22 2012, 09:56 PM   #794
Harvey
Admiral

Well, the reviewers certainly saw it, and they didn't seem to care for it, but I have a close friend who liked it, so I'll have to see for myself.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22 2012, 10:02 PM   #795
Warped9
Admiral

Considering I don't hold many reviewers in high regard then them not liking it doesn't carry much weight with me. I've seen too many films reviewers loved and left me unmoved as well as too many films reviewers dissed and I enjoyed.