Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 10 2009, 06:16 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Picardo On 'Stargate Atlantis' and 'Star Trek'

Robert Picardo is satisfied with the arc that his character Woolsey took in this season of Stargate Atlantis.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, Picardo hasn't forgotten his Star Trek: Voyager days. He suggested a reference to Star Trek: The Experience be dropped into the Stargate Atlantis: Vegas episode. "I sold that little bill of goods to [executive producer] Robert Cooper," explained Picardo. "He thought it was funny. We shot it and he put it in. It is one of those things I love about 'Stargate.' Not only do they not take themselves too seriously, but they are quite irreverent at times. I thought to make a reference to the other franchise simply because the show was set in Vegas was real tribute to their rogue soul."

Picardo became a regular on Stargate Atlantis this season, with his character Richard Woolsey becoming the leader of the Atlantis expedition. Picardo credits the writers and producers with making the changes in Woolsey believable. "...They had the outline for Woolsey's transformation from a briefing room guy with bad people skills into a very credible leader who trusts his principles," he said. "I think he grew most impressively in his ability to listen and to make judgments simply by the rule book. I think it was a good arc as a leader and a person and I am happy with it. I think it was done in very quick moments where we established he had a bit of a sense of humor. I think we got some of the audiences sympathy with the fish out of water elements. 'I am here to run the expedition but don't quite to know how to use the briefing room door.'"

What does the future hold for Woolsey? "...You can expect to see him in the DVD movie," said Picardo. "I am confident of that and Woolsey will be in command. I have been told it is definitely happening and will shoot in the first half of next year. And also there will probably be guest star opportunities in the new show [Stargate Universe]. Let's put it this way, it seems likelier I will be doing more 'Stargate' than more 'Star Trek.'"

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old January 10 2009, 03:45 PM   #2
scottydog
Admiral

View scottydog's Twitter Profile
Re: Picardo On 'Stargate Atlantis' and 'Star Trek'

Cool beans. Voyager's EMH doctor is one of my all-time favorite trek characters. I hope they do make an irreverent reference to it
Old January 11 2009, 02:56 AM   #3
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

Woolsley has been a good addition to SGA. I didn't think it'd work, and after the awful Sam Carter introduction I feared for the worst. But it turned out well.
Old January 12 2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Let's put it this way, it seems likelier I will be doing more 'Stargate' than more 'Star Trek
Funny that.