IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 15 2009, 10:47 AM   #1
the Dagman
Commodore

The Latest on the Batman

I am going to put everything behind a spoiler tag because I am touching on subject matter that was only released yesterday. If you are a comic book fan and have been wondering just what the current story lines have been leading to and haven't made it to the comic shop yet, DO NOT LOOK AT THE SPOILER! I would hate to actually ruin the story for a dedicated fan and collector. And now...

ETA: And if you are going to avoid my info behind the spoiler tag, definitely do NOT scroll down this page to read some of the comments. It seems that the idea and use of the spoiler tag has not yet spread to everyone here at this forum. And they are posting rather blatant spoilers outside of a tag and just stating there will be spoilers and spacing down a few lines. If this has diminished the story for you in any way, I do apologize. This was not my intent as I even went to the trouble of making the thread title spoiler-free.

Last edited by the Dagman; January 15 2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: poor forum ettiquette down thread
the Dagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 11:20 AM   #2
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

Re: The Latest on the Batman

Worst. Comic. Ever.

I wonder why do I stil bother to read the crapfest that is DC?
Old January 15 2009, 11:20 AM   #3
sithlord
Lieutenant Commander

yeah, I read the issue in question today. I made the foolish mistake of not reading the 2 follow up issues of Batman (682 and 683) before reading FC #6 (really wish I had, events would have made some sense and had some impact.)

SPOILERS PAST THIS POINT:

Marvel drove me away with Civil War. DC just drove me away with Final Crisis.

Last edited by sithlord; January 15 2009 at 11:57 AM.
sithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 11:44 AM   #4
the Dagman
Commodore

sithlord, you really ought to put the bulk of your post behind a spoiler tag. I went to the effort not to spill any details outside the spoiler tag in the OP as well as the thread title. You have just blown that with your post. Please be considerate to those who have not yet made it to the comic shop, no matter what you may think of the story.

But I do agree that I find Grant Morrison's work on Batman and Final Crisis lacking. It is like it is an idea he has had for several years, and gone over it time and again. Only when it came time to actually tell the story after his long set-up for it, it is like he expects us to know his mental notes that have been floating in his head the last few years and he forgets to put it all down on paper in the book. Bendis is guilty of the same crap over at Marvel.

ETA: Thanks sithlord!

Last edited by the Dagman; January 15 2009 at 01:08 PM.
the Dagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 11:46 AM   #5
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Spoilers......

I flipped through this issue at the comic book store yesterday. I don't think Batman's dead. Yeah, Supes was holding a corpse with a bat outfit on, but I'm sure the writers will come up with some way to explain that.

I've been very disappointed, no vexed by Batman RIP. The artwork was good for the most part, the villians were interesting, but the story just went off the rails. And then to not even have Batman's 'end' in RIP, but to place it into FC was even stranger.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 01:19 PM   #6
the Dagman
Commodore

I was questioning since Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns have been said to be working closely on Final Crisis and the books that tie into it if there is...

Old January 15 2009, 01:28 PM   #7
FALCONX0N
Captain

the Dagman wrote: View Post
I was questioning since Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns have been said to be working closely on Final Crisis and the books that tie into it if there is...

Well, considering that
FALCONX0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 01:41 PM   #8
the Dagman
Commodore

FALCONX0N wrote: View Post
the Dagman wrote: View Post

Well, considering that
Also...
Old January 15 2009, 01:42 PM   #9
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

After reading these spoilers (I'm about 2 weeks behind on books), I'm wondering if it's time to unsubscribe from the Bat-titles again and just wait a while before things get back to a point where I'll care about them again.

Edit: To clarify what I mean by the above - I want Bat-stories that involve Batman and Robin (sometimes Nightwing, Batgirl etc.) fighting crime and solving mysteries in Gotham City. Throw in some traps, great fight scenes, gadgetry etc. for a good mix. I know that may sound outdated but that's the Batman I grew up enjoying.

Last edited by God Magnus; January 15 2009 at 06:32 PM.
God Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 05:50 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

I'm confused by the pages posted at the link in the first post. It appears that two different books are portraying the same event in mutually contradictory ways. Are these supposed to be slightly alternate realities, or is there just a lack of authorial/editorial coordination between titles?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 06:02 PM   #11
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm confused by the pages posted at the link in the first post. It appears that two different books are portraying the same event in mutually contradictory ways. Are these supposed to be slightly alternate realities, or is there just a lack of authorial/editorial coordination between titles?
The Nightwing issue takes place in between Batman 681 and Final Crisis 6. Post-Batman 681, most everyone thinks Batman is dead. Batman 683 reveals that he's not(and leads into Final Crisis). He's just gone deep underground. Nightwing, Robin, and a few others are trying to pick up the pieces in Gotham without Batman around. So, yes, the two things don't match, because Nightwing is reacting to Batman's absence, not the (somewhat later) events of Final Crisis 6.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 08:39 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

No, I'm not talking about Nightwing's reactions. That's from the second link, which I haven't looked at yet. I'm only talking about the first link. It has the cover and six pages from an issue of Final Crisis, and below those is a page from "Grant Morrison's JLA run." These both show
, but everything else is completely different.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 09:08 PM   #13
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Really? that's how Batman "dies"? in some cosmic gobbledygook universe storytelling? really? BATMAN?

Man, monthly comic books are so fuckin stupid sometimes
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 09:12 PM   #14
Ol Scratch
Lieutenant Commander

In my opinion it's all been a huge set-up for the upcoming Black Lantern Corps ever since they added R.I.P. in there. It couldn't be more blatantly obvious, especially since it was foreshadowed with the Sinestro Corps when the Batman was approached by one of those power rings. I mean they all but basically flat-outl you this when Darkseid reveals what he's about to do the deed with in the above clip.

If they really wanted to be as clever as they think they're being, they would have done this quite some time ago long before they ever let slip the idea of the Black Lanterns. As it stands now, it's truly, truly painful watching this <sarcasm>brilliant and wholly unexpected idea</sarcasm> unfold.
Ol Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 09:14 PM   #15
the Dagman
Commodore

Morrison's JLA run was from several years ago. And yes, it does seem he reuses plot points doesn't it? Or maybe he forgot? The way the story reads as I described up thread, these ideas have been floating around in his head for a long time. And if his scatter-brain plotting can't remember to put down all the details of a story, it is possible that he has forgotten he had tapped those ideas once before. A good editor would have caught the similarity between the two stories, but it seems both DC and Marvel's editorial staff these days are really just glorified traffic cops between the various creators and not true editors. At least regarding their "big name" creators who are given carte blanch to tell their story any way they like and then leave it to their successor on the book to weed through all of it, retcon the crap out and try to make sense of the rest.