Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old January 8 2009, 06:13 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Star Trek News Bullets

• SyFy Portal has posted a video highlighting the life and achievements of the late Majel Barrett-Roddenberry. The video show photos of Barrett-Roddenberry from childhood through her adult life. Snippets from her television and movie appearances, from an Ajax commercial to all of her Star Trek roles and several other television appearances and voice work from Family Guy and Earth: Final Conflict, were shown.

• TrekWeb reports that Chris Pine and William Shatner have been cast in Quantum Quest, a 3-D animated film made in conjunction with NASA. Quantum Quest will tour the outer planets and moons of the solar system following the adventures of a photon living in the sun (Pine) who is caught between two battling beings, one of whom is voiced by Shatner.

• Hidden Frontier's Rob Caves spoke about the current Frontier Guard project according to Entertainment News International. Frontier Guard "started out as a retro 1950s remake of 'popcorn flicks' that has been updated for our times," explained Caves. "It's evolved into a complex plot with some great characters and a story that I like a lot. It's reminiscent of Trek in many ways, but also very different. I find myself increasingly attracted to the concept of a clean slate, a new universe and a chance to put my name on something different." Filming is expected to begin this year and trailers will continue to be added to the fan film site at HiddenFrontier.com.

• Battlestar Galactica's Ronald D. Moore spoke about his newest show, Caprica, as reported by Trekweb. Caprica, A Battlestar Galactica spin-off, will begin shooting in July. "We're putting the writing staff together now and the crew," explained Moore. "And, just staffing up and getting ready to go. We'll start breaking stories probably in February or maybe even as soon as the end of this month, kind of depending when all the pieces go together. We have a game plan of sort of what the general story line is and sort of some direction."

Asked if he had learned lessons from his Star Trek days, Moore replied that "You don't try to repeat the formula. Both those projects [Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise] felt too similar to 'Next Generation' and to the original series for me and by my lights. I felt that Deep Space [Nine] was the way to do a spin-off series of an existing franchise where you really are doing a very different show. It's a different format. It's a different feeling. The 'Deep Space Nine' station lent itself to continuing stories. 'The Next Generation' was episodic. I mean they were just very different animals. I felt that it was more creatively satisfying to do that instead of doing a spin-off that just felt like a different version of the mother ship. And so that definitely informed the process as we went into 'Caprica.'"

Old January 8 2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek News Bullets

The Pine/Shatner photon thing sounds weird. Instead of Shat playing a battling alien being(whatever the hell that means), he should play the photon later as it "ages" in its journey. That would make more sense, given that Pine plays the younger Kirk.

As for asking Moore if he has learned anything from his TNG days, how about asking him if he's learned anything from his days on BSG and fucking THAT up?!? How about making him sign an affidavit stating he will never again include bullshit made up alien pseudo mumbo jumbo religious crap ever again? How about learning THAT lesson MooreRon?

And I had to laugh at him saying he had a sort of game plan in place for the new show. Is it as concise as "The Plan" you had ready for the cylons in BSG? If so, [sarcasm]count me in!!![/sarcasm]
Old January 8 2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

Based on the overwhelming success of BSG, I think most people liked the "made up alien pseudo mumbo jumbo religious crap". What's your problem with it, sir?
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old January 8 2009, 05:52 PM   #4
T'Cal
Commodore

TrekToday wrote: View Post
<p>Asked if he had learned lessons from his Star Trek days, Moore replied that "You don't try to repeat the formula. Both those projects Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise felt too similar to 'Next Generation' and to the original series for me and by my lights. I felt that Deep Space [Nine] was the way to do a spin-off series of an existing franchise where you really are doing a very different show. It's a different format. It's a different feeling. The 'Deep Space Nine' station lent itself to continuing stories. 'The Next Generation' was episodic. I mean they were just very different animals. I felt that it was more creatively satisfying to do that instead of doing a spin-off that just felt like a different version of the mother ship. And so that definitely informed the process as we went into 'Caprica.'" </ul><center></center>
That's very true about TNG and DS9, two great Trek shows that had some very distinct differences. I'm just now getting into BSG and am impressed.
Old January 9 2009, 03:24 AM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Pioneer wrote: View Post
Based on the overwhelming success of BSG, I think most people liked the "made up alien pseudo mumbo jumbo religious crap". What's your problem with it, sir?
I'd be happy if the religious mumbo jumbo crap made sense (along with the Cylon Plan). I have a feeling part of Caprica's job will be to retcon BSG's storyline into some kind of logic, which may work as long as we don't think about it too hard.
Old January 10 2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Yassim
Fleet Captain

I'm surprised that it bothers people so much.

I share a species with lots of people who make no sense at all to me. Why would Cylons make sense to me?

I agree that it's patchwork writing, but the show's good enough that I can forgive it some shaky motivation.