New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 9 2009, 08:57 AM   #1
FTV
Cadet

Episodes in which Data is captain

Data always seemed to kick butt whenever they actually put him in charge. So I tried really hard to find which episodes include the times Data has the bridge on any ship but my Google-foo was not strong enough. Can anyone recall the episodes where this happens?
FTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Lt.Cmdr.LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Episodes in which Data is captain

I was watching the episode 'Brothers' last night from season 4. Data is called home to his father, (originally presumed dead). Data takes control of the ship, deactivating the life support on the bridge to force everyone out, he then over rides all ship systems to only answer to picard on the bridge (whom data has been impersonating). He sets the Enterprise on a course to the residence of his father at warp 9.3, which apparently at the time was dangerous due to some recent upgrade or something. During this brief rebellion in which Data has no control over, nor does he even remember. He isn't 'given' the bridge as such, but the way in which he aquires it and takes control of the entire ship single handed is awesome, he 'kicks butt'!

Hope this helped =]
Old January 9 2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Timo
Admiral

In addition to "Brothers", there's "Redemption II" where Data gets to command the Sutherland against the objections of her top officers, and "Gambit II" where Data commands the E-D when both Picard and Riker go missing. And then there are umpteen episodes where Data commands a shuttlecraft... Plus one or two where he commands himself on a demanding away mission, such as in "Ensigns of Command" or "Thine Own Self", but I guess the question was about commanding vehicles rather than missions.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 12:54 PM   #4
Finn
Vice Admiral

I wouldn't count Brothers. He wasn't in control of his actions since he wasn't himself. Plus he didn't act like someone in command or control of the ship. By that reasoning, Wesley was a Captain briefly in The Naked Now.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Timo
Admiral

...OTOH, Barclay was a commanding personality in "Nth Degree"...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

I think his best two 'command moments' were:

1. When he was in command of the Sutherland and he put that goof Hobson on his place. "FIRE!"

2. When he gave Worf that dressing down in "Gambit". Spiner does 'Data in command' really well, he would have made a believable Captain one day.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 11:58 PM   #7
dave_R_treker
Captain

He was in command in Gambit part two
dave_R_treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 07:33 AM   #8
Red Ranger
Admiral

Both Gambit, Pt. II and Redemption, Pt. II were Data's Spock/The Tholian Web/Galileo Seven moments. I agree, Data made a good command officer. We did see him in command red twice, also, in Chain of Command, Pt. II and in Future Imperfect. He looked good in that color, too. Would've always had him as a command officer, and reworked it so the conn was an operations post like security or engineering. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Jefferies
Captain

Thought I should share this with you.

Personally, I think Data would have made an excellent captain. Its a shame he never got promoted. If he had lived after Nemesis he maybe could have taken over command of the Enterprise from Picard at some point.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 06:55 PM   #10
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

I think he was in control of the ship in one of the season one's episodes. I believe it might be the episode "Justice"
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2009, 10:53 PM   #11
john titor
Captain

Data should never have been killed off in Nemesis, they need to rectify that as its in direct conflict with how he turns out to be university professor in the future.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 10:09 PM   #12
captcalhoun
Admiral

^ the future with an E-D with three nacelles in it? and Worf rules some Klingon colony?

'possible future', chum. GEN negated it before NEM did.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2009, 10:33 PM   #13
Red Ranger
Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post
Thought I should share this with you.

Personally, I think Data would have made an excellent captain. Its a shame he never got promoted. If he had lived after Nemesis he maybe could have taken over command of the Enterprise from Picard at some point.
Jefferies: Nice pic. You know, there is a novel where a future Data is in command of Enterprise, I think it's Imzadi. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 12:59 PM   #14
Jefferies
Captain

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
Jefferies: Nice pic. You know, there is a novel where a future Data is in command of Enterprise, I think it's Imzadi. -- RR
From what I have heard it's a really good book, although Data only plays a supporting role in it. Its somewhat strange, in the series Data must be one of the characters with the most development and yet unlike the others he is never given any additional responsibilities.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2009, 01:57 PM   #15
Anwar
Vice Admiral

john titor wrote: View Post
Data should never have been killed off in Nemesis, they need to rectify that as its in direct conflict with how he turns out to be university professor in the future.
That whole future was just a creation of Q's. As soon as Picard undid the anti-time anomaly he erased that future.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote