RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 560
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old April 12 2014, 09:07 PM   #1096
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Re: "Polaris"

I much prefer to do stuff in-camera, because then you HAVE it. The actors know what they're looking at and how to react to it. I liked the Polaris Command Deck set a lot because it was mostly practical, with live animated displays on the consoles and what have you. Interactive lighting, the whole nine yards. The bulk of the post work is for the planet and exterior space scenes, which I am less fond of from a filmmaker's standpoint.
óGlen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 10:16 PM   #1097
Dennis
Commodore

Here's something that Neo FX has been working on for us for a long time.

Welcome to Phaidros.

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 10:38 PM   #1098
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Very cool!
Old July 10 2014, 10:41 PM   #1099
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

This is a production that I'm eagerly looking forward to!
Old July 10 2014, 10:43 PM   #1100
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Neat!
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 11:07 PM   #1101
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Very nice!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 11:20 PM   #1102
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Hey that looks great.

(I may be biased).
Old July 10 2014, 11:40 PM   #1103
USS Kongo
Fleet Captain

View USS Kongo's Twitter Profile

It's great to see the work is coming along nicely on this.
USS Kongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 11:40 PM   #1104
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

The tracking is good, the matte painting and the integration isn't. I suppose it's not a final?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 02:41 AM   #1105
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Nice.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 02:47 AM   #1106
Dennis
Commodore

There's color correction to be done, and a couple of touch-ups.

Old July 11 2014, 05:57 AM   #1107
Duane
Captain

I hope this isn't inappropriate to ask, but, since Polaris is an original product, there should be some attempt made to get distribution. I worked in advertising for 20 years, 10 of those years were spent in various European countries. Smaller TV stations were always looking for inexpensive programming. The UK and Germany are fairly big markets for science-fiction products, as is Japan.

I left the industry in 2008 and probably a lot has changed since then. I live in Asia and last year I met with the second largest TV station in the Philippines to discuss their programming needs. As a market it was a bad choice. They have no real cultural love for science-ficton products, and their highest rated TV show in prime time consisted of a what was essentially a three hour game/variety show. And they aired this program SEVEN nights a week.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 11:06 AM   #1108
northstar
Lieutenant

Nice shot there, but I have a couple of observations (feel free to ignore if that shot is considered final):

- You would not be able to see a galaxy this clear in bright daylight with an earth-like atmosphere. I would use the rim of another planet or two moons to establish that we are not on earth.

- The background matte painting behind the white lander looks ok, but the colors do not match the red foreground area. Also problematic at the end when the camera pans up.

- If the big sandwall that hides one half of the frame in the later part of the shot is a seperate element, lower it - it takes far too much space and feels wrong - probably needs to be slightly out of focus as well.

- The tracking in the later part is not 100%stable - the background is moving slightly against the foreground.

- The mattepainting of the crashed ship need serious rework. No signs of an impact, not enough debris parts, no light on the ship, depending on how long it is crashed - either some sand/deterioration on it or, if it crashed recently, some smoke emanating from it.

It could be a great shot, but it needs some work for that...
northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 01:10 PM   #1109
Dennis
Commodore

Duane, we are interested in distribution but given the extended post-production schedule on the show we haven't approached that yet - with no fairly certain completion date we can't really deal. I'd love to talk about that, though, if you're willing. Thanks.

northstar
, thank you - that's all useful. It's good to have a fresh pair of eyes on this after so long.

Old July 11 2014, 02:10 PM   #1110
Duane
Captain

Dennis, I need to contact a former colleague and will send you a PM as soon as I can.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote