CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 7 2009, 06:20 PM   #46
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

Re: I finally watched Firefly! (SPOILERS)

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Evil_Kirkneivel wrote: View Post
The Firefly DVD sold so well it was in the top 100 at Amazon for sales. That's pretty good for a TV show with a flawed premise.
I believe it actually held the #1 spot for a while.
Off and on for weeks, actually. Having been an "original" Browncoat, I followed it all along, and it spent months and months drifting around in the top 50. It would sink, then some news would come out, or it would go on sale, and BAM it would top the list again, beating out all manner of new releases and more recently popular shows & movies. That was a fun time. Even today, the set is ranked #70.

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
When the film rights to the franchise were sold to Universal, the legal situation was one in which the series couldn't be made on television again for (IIRC) ten years, essentially rendering any televised versions of Firefly dead. I'm not sure exactly how or why the deal went down the way it did, but that's as best as I can remember it.
This is exactly it. One of the conditions of the transfer of the property to Universal was that it couldn't be developed for TV again for 10 years. This was stated by the actors multiple times in interviews and at cons when people would ask, "If the movie succeeds, can we have our TV show back?" The answer was always, "No. Part of the deal was that it can't go back to TV for 10 years." At the time, it was hoped that the movie would spawn a trilogy, which would have covered most of that 10-years anyway, but that didn't happen.
Old December 21 2009, 03:39 PM   #47
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Re: I finally watched Firefly! (SPOILERS)

I'm late to the party, as usual; however, I felt the need to comment on this show since I've seen so many comments on this board about the series, that Joss Whedon person, etc.

First, I watched the movie Serenity. I found it interesting and with a good plot. So, I decided, based on the Netflix recommendation, to put the Firefly series in my queue. This past weekend I watched the first three DVDs and was absolutely enamored with the concept -- outer space colonization with an Old West style influence combined with smugglers who have morals. I found the characters to be well written and with interesting backgrounds and excellent interaction. I think Jayne is my favorite The concept of the series is (was) well executed and wasn't the typical Sci-Fi technobabble fanboy dorkiness. The premise was versatile enough that any average-Joe would have commented "Oooh, that's cool" on the Sci-Fi elements. What I really liked was that any explosions, collisions, or gun shots that took place in outer space was all done in complete quiet! FINALLY, someone has keyed in on the fact that sound won't travel out there.

Anyway, it's a shame this series didn't last. Then again, TV audiences seem to be hooked on the craptacular (Reality TV). Perhaps Stephen King was on to something with his Running Man story.