Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 3 2009, 11:54 PM   #16
Snaploud
Admiral

Re: Dark Mirror

This is my second-favorite mirror-universe story (just behind the Sorrows of Empire).
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 09:00 AM   #17
Robert Treat
Commander

John Clark wrote: View Post
I think I'd have liked to have seen this one on screen

I certainly enjoyed the book

Mike Sussman has admitted using Dark Mirror as a guide in making "In a Mirror, Darkly". See here
Robert Treat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 09:36 AM   #18
Hoshi_Mayweather
Fleet Captain

Robert Treat wrote: View Post
John Clark wrote: View Post
I think I'd have liked to have seen this one on screen

I certainly enjoyed the book

Mike Sussman has admitted using Dark Mirror as a guide in making "In a Mirror, Darkly". See here
It shows they did their research...

Pretty cool!
Old January 4 2009, 05:30 PM   #19
Semah
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Semah Send a message via Yahoo to Semah

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post

I think it may have been the Iliad, actually--an act of mercy from Achilles that was omitted in the MU version.
Yup; in this version, Akilles kills Priam after the old man comes to beg to get Hektor's body back and give him an appropriate burial. That said, I don't think variations in literature (particularly one already so bloody-minded as the Iliad) can account for the MU's divergeance, nor do I think they necessary indicate when the timeline diverged. I think it's possible and I daresay likely that a civilization like this one would have no problem going back and editing classic works of literature to something more to their taste.
I agree that's possible. But what's telling is that the edits are more and more subtle as you go further back in time. If you go by the theory that these were redactions from a later time period rather than some divergence that started subtly thousands of years ago and got worse as time went on, I am curious to know--what do you use to explain that progressive divergence? Why not simply redact it all with the same heavy-handedness?

(I do not remember that line about the Eugenics Wars in Dark Mirror, BTW, but that's not saying it wasn't there.)
Though thought that the noticable divergence occurred during the Eugenics Wars but that the Literature was always different is actually more chilling.

(I'll have to reread this one to see whether or not the Eugenics War thing sprang out of my head somehow. Seems a weird thing to make up, though.)
Semah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 06:02 PM   #20
flandry84
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Calling it the Terran Empire makes me wonder if it had an agent named Dominic Flandry....
You called?

Yeah,"Dark mirror" was a particularly enjoyable romp.(Nice to see the return of the captains gold lame waistcoat).
With respect,far superior to the juvenile salaciousness of later MU efforts.IMO.
flandry84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 06:06 PM   #21
captcalhoun
Admiral

Semah wrote: View Post
(I'll have to reread this one to see whether or not the Eugenics War thing sprang out of my head somehow. Seems a weird thing to make up, though.)
there was a reference to the Eugenics Wars in DM, the supermen won, but (IIRC) dissolved into in-fighting and were overthrown.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 07:59 PM   #22
Semah
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Semah Send a message via Yahoo to Semah

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
Semah wrote: View Post
there was a reference to the Eugenics Wars in DM, the supermen won, but (IIRC) dissolved into in-fighting and were overthrown.
And in that Universe, Earth bacame far more expansionist and paranoid because of that and basically wiped out or enslaved all races they came across.
Semah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 09:17 PM   #23
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Since "Parallels" canonized, for want of a better term, the notion of an infinitely branching multiverse, I like to think that the Dark Mirror universe still exists.

I also like to think that what the Enterprise did with the superstrings to get back to their own universe "broke" the connection between "our" universe and the Mirror Universe, allowing "Crossover"'s Mirror Universe to take its place in harmonic convergence with "our" universe.

Oh, it's completely nonsensical technobabble I've just spouted, but I like it.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 09:42 PM   #24
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I've lost count the number of times I've read this novel. I love it. While I wish they'd made a MU TNG, this kinda makes up for the fact they didn't.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 10:59 PM   #25
aelius
Commander

I loved Dark Mirror. I also wish they had done a MU TNG. Then we probably would have had something similar to Dark Mirror rather than the fallen Terran Empire ruled over by the Alliance.
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 12:06 AM   #26
JD
Admiral

I take it you're not a fan of the DS9 MU storyline.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 12:46 AM   #27
aelius
Commander

Oh, I enjoyed the DS9 MU eps. I just wouldn't have minded seeing the evil Terran Empire go forward. I like the idea of watching the regular cast be evil. In the DS9 MU they were somewhat scummy freedom fighters. Of course I loved the MU Garak. He was just so smarmy.
Can you imagine seeing evil Sisko and company or evil Picard and crew plotting and scheming about conquering this or that. That would have been great.
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 02:08 AM   #28
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I really enjoyed Dark Mirror and wish that storyline had been continued. The early DS9 MU eps were good, but I think Dark Mirror's version had more potential. I wonder if "Crossover" might have been more interesting with a cruel Terran Empire having conquered Bajor from the relatively benevolent Cardassians. Having Kira come face-to-face with a broken, subjugated version of herself could have been a lot more interesting than the vampy Intendant.

Going a bit further, I always thought Seven's outlandish theories in "The Voyager Conspiracy" would have been plausible... in the mirror universe.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 04:29 AM   #29
Christopher
Writer

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I wonder if "Crossover" might have been more interesting with a cruel Terran Empire having conquered Bajor from the relatively benevolent Cardassians. Having Kira come face-to-face with a broken, subjugated version of herself could have been a lot more interesting than the vampy Intendant.
But Kira spent most of her life subjugated. The character wouldn't be much different then. Despite the caricature that Intendant Kira became, what was interesting about her interaction with Major Kira in "Crossover" was that she essentially represented everything Kira had wished for all her life -- a strong, free, powerful Bajor. And yet despite that, she turned out to be someone Kira wouldn't want to emulate. A "be careful what you wish for" sort of deal.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 06:18 AM   #30
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

aelius wrote: View Post
I loved Dark Mirror. I also wish they had done a MU TNG. Then we probably would have had something similar to Dark Mirror rather than the fallen Terran Empire ruled over by the Alliance.
Security Officer Deanna Troi was an amazing character, and I think that she would have translated well to the smell screen.

With some friends, a couple of weeks ago I watched the sixth-season episode where Troi is forced to pose as a Tal Sh'iar agent ("Clearly, your father was a traitor."). I mourned, just a little bit, for the episode that never got made.

Dark Mirror's impact for me lay in the way that it made so many could-be possibilities of TNG a reality--Picard and Beverly are a couple! and so are Riker and Troi! and Troi's a stronger telepath, confident in her abilities! and Wesley's a go-getter!--and make them go so horribly wrong.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote