RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,629
Currently online: 546
Newest member: Karzak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Best show
Buffy 39 29.77%
Angel 31 23.66%
Firefly 61 46.56%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 23 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

Best Joss Whedon show?

Which Joss Whedon show do you consider to be the best?

I saw the shows when they first appeared. I think Buffy has the best starting seasons, while Angel had the best middle seasons, and Firefly was mostly good all the way through but I didn't care much for Serenity. So I picked Angel mostly because I seem to rewatch it the most on dvd.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 09:57 PM   #2
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Re: Best Joss Whedon show?

Having never seen Buffy or Angel, I'm going to go with Firefly, which I love.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:02 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, I love Firefly. I just finished watching all of Buffy for the first time, and I thought it was pretty good. However, it definitely had a lot of episodes that, to me, just weren't all that exciting. When it was good, it was very good, but it could also be very mediocre.

I still have a half season left in Angel, so I will reserve my vote until I finish. However, it looks like Angel might win out.
Old January 23 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Firefly
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Mr Light
Admiral

Firefly was fun and all but I don't think its fair to weigh a half-season against a five or seven year show. Buffy was great at first but its later years soured the deal. Angel is my vote because (after the first season) it was always good and consistent.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

That is being a bit overly kind to the Pylea arc, but I'll let it slide.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:28 PM   #7
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

This is a toughie, since I love all 3 shows for different reasons, but I'm gonna pick BtVS because it has two of my all-time favorite seasons of anything (Seasons 6 and 5).

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Angel was great, but Firefly was better.
Old January 23 2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Own Angel and Firefly, watched most of Buffy-FIREFLY. Just better characters, IMO, playing upon the experience he built up doing the other two shows....

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:53 PM   #10
amdmiami
Commander

Bffy FTW! However Angel and Firefly are almost just as good. Buffy wins by a hair line .
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
amdmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 10:54 PM   #11
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Angel as a complete show, although I think Firefly had more potential.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 11:02 PM   #12
Seven of Five
Commodore

Well, Firefly was doing much better than either Buffy or Angel after 13 episodes IMO.

However, I don't think you can properly compare a 13 episode series with either Buffy or Angel, so I'd go for either of those really. Angel was much more consistent so was probably the better show, but Buffy is the one I like just a teensy bit more.
Old January 23 2009, 11:51 PM   #13
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

I'll give it to Angel also; I think it achieved a greater consistency than BTVS did. Firefly, as has already been mentioned, was awfully short to try and evaluate compared to the longer series.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2009, 11:57 PM   #14
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral

Seven Of Five wrote: View Post
However, I don't think you can properly compare a 13 episode
And that's just it. I think people tend to have an overly skewed view of the show because of the way it ended. But, despite what all the conspiracy theorists and "Brown Coats" tend to spew from their bully pulpit, I think there's a much more obvious and mundane reason it was canceled: it was stale, trite, and boring ... and kind of obvious. I never understood why it gets so much attention. (Of course, I think the same way of BSG, but I digress.) And, had the show not been killed the way it was, I doubt it would have lasted past two season, anyway.

If it wasn't for that God awfully bad season 4, I might have voted for "Angel." But that just ruins the whole show for me. One of the other Buffyverse threads we had over the past few weeks veered off into dissecting the events of the seasons end. As I was reading the various posts of the plots, I found it more and more incredulous that so many people found that entertaining television.

So in the end, it really is "Buffy." While I certianly don't deny it has its fualts, it really presents the complete package. I don't think there's ever been another show made that, over the years, pulled viewers across such a wide and varied range of emotions.
Old January 24 2009, 12:00 AM   #15
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Knowing this board, Firefly will easily win. And as it did on a similar thread last year

For me it's like choosing between three children, but on the "as a whole" angle I'd have to say Angel.
But the High School era of Buffy will always be what stays with me when I think back to the 'verse in say 20 years time (and that's not to say I don't love s4-7, but s1-3 just is Buffy the Vampire Slayer for me)

btw, I was gonna make a thread for this, but I'll just post it here.
Remember those rumours Alan Tudyk started for a Serenity sequel, here's him and Nathan Fillion talking about it, bloody funny-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEvYzA2_YU
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote