Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 9 2009, 03:40 PM   #31
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Re: UFO episode reviews... [spoilers]

Now I'm gonna have to pull out my UFO DVDs...
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 04:15 PM   #32
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

The Badger wrote: View Post
BTW, it's been a while since I've seen this episode. Am I right in thinking that, after Straker gives Carlin the news about his sister, we get a voice over from Straker mentioning the illnesses that the aliens suffer? As I recall, one of them was 'hereditary sterility'. How, exactly, would that work? "I can't have any kids, because my parents couldn't".
He does use that line, in reading from the autopsy report in his office. That is quite an oxymoron, unless it means that something has made this generation of the aliens able to procreate but not have fertile offspring? It's definitely an odd construction lol.

ty for the encouragement all, I'll have the next one up a little quicker I hope... I only have 5 episodes left on my initial watching but I'm viewing them again before doing the reviews.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 10:49 PM   #33
Ptrope
Agitator

I'd forgotten that the "infamous scene" was shot in the mirror of the cubicle where the other girl was dressing. Clever!
Old January 10 2009, 12:35 AM   #34
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Great stuff, I remember catching it lunchtimes on UTV (ITV for Northern Ireland) as a kid.

There was so much wierdness, I'm surprised I wasn't freaked out more by it. The autopsy scene in the credits (pulling something off someone's eye) and I remember the scene where they tried to get the alien to breathe air too.

The models really spoiled us too, par for the course for a Gerry Anderson series. But why has nobody mentioned the mobiles?!
Old January 10 2009, 12:20 PM   #35
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
The autopsy scene in the credits (pulling something off someone's eye) and I remember the scene where they tried to get the alien to breathe air too.
In the fake Roswell Autopsy footgate (and let's assume it is), I wonder if that's where they got the idea for lifting something off the Grey's eye?

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2009, 12:35 PM   #36
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
There was so much wierdness, I'm surprised I wasn't freaked out more by it. The autopsy scene in the credits (pulling something off someone's eye) and I remember the scene where they tried to get the alien to breathe air too.

Think it's something akin to a contact lense but can't remember if was so they could see when on earth or someting do with being able to see in the atmosphere suits.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2009, 02:03 PM   #37
Australis
Writer

Thanks for this. UFO was one of my favourite shows as a teen. And I had the die cast Interceptor AND the Mobile. Looked real good on my bookshelf .

I also think it would be a GREAT show to revive, it already had that darkness they push in BSG, compared to cheesy oldBSG.

One thing would have to change: the Interceptors would have to carry more than one missile. Better to make the Interceptor a pilotless drone.

That treatment for UFO2 was pretty cool as well (Michael Winter did it, isn't he some big noise?).

Now to get back to my idea for reviving Stingray...
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; January 11 2009 at 11:15 AM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2009, 12:10 AM   #38
McCoy
Commodore

No mention yet of the only thing I wanted in real life after watching this show...Straker's car!
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2009, 12:30 AM   #39
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

McCoy wrote: View Post
No mention yet of the only thing I wanted in real life after watching this show...Straker's car!
And there's a surprising amount out there on it too.

Sounds like a surprisingly expensive prop, the body was made from hand beaten aluminium.
Old January 11 2009, 12:44 AM   #40
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

The contact lens was to protect the eye from the oxygenated liquid they were breathing in the suits...

...and the mobiles will figure heavily in the next review. Hope to have that up very soon.

According to wiki:

Ed Straker's dramatic gas turbine car, resembling somewhat the 1970 Citroën SM, was, in fact, a humble Ford Zephyr with a specially built aluminium bodyshell.
And personally I like Foster's car better than Straker's...

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2009, 06:22 AM   #41
Ptrope
Agitator

I like a lot of the ideas of the remake/continuation, although I don't see the purpose of making it so insular that people are born into it and live apart from society. It would be great to have it current-day, but by making the personnel live in the 'real world,' it would keep some tension in their need for secrecy, as well as provide more potential for 'B' or even 'A' storylines that take place amongst the civilian populace.

I'll get on with buying my lottery tickets so this can be funded ... . James Purefoy (Resident Evil and A Knight's Tale for Paul Foster ... ). Might even bring back Nehru jackets!

NewStraker's car

NewFoster's Car
Old January 11 2009, 10:19 AM   #42
Hoshi_Mayweather
Fleet Captain

QuasarVM wrote: View Post
I love Space:1999 more as well, but I doubt anyone could do that justice with any kind of a remake (Space:2999?)...
Wouldn't that be something like: Star Trek meets Lost In Space meets nuBSG meets 2001?

Basically, what Voyager could have been...and what nuBSG is somewhat like...
Old January 11 2009, 07:04 PM   #43
solariabsg25
Captain

View solariabsg25's Twitter Profile

I definately feel that UFO could be remade today.

And having the Aliens as humanoids that need healthy transplants, hence abducting people, is a rather sinister reason for their coming, but is a lot better motivation than usual alien invaders. Also, it could explain why they simply don't invade Earth en-mass, they want the humans to live breed and provide them with organs.

It also creates huge story telling possibilities. What if scientists discover a cure to cancer, but SHADO finds out it was provided by the aliens to ensure there would be more healthy doners?? Do they allow the cure to be used and save millions, or stop the alien plan?
Old January 11 2009, 08:45 PM   #44
Captain Gandalf
Commodore

Here's another vote for a UFO remake. I'd certainly be the first to watch it.
Captain Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2009, 07:17 PM   #45
Hoshi_Mayweather
Fleet Captain

Captain Gandalf wrote: View Post
Here's another vote for a UFO remake. I'd certainly be the first to watch it.
Neal McDonough(sp?) for Straker!