Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 13 2009, 10:40 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

most un-TREK character

sometimes the writers of Trek(s) tried to introduce characters into a show that were, well, un-TREKIAN perhaps in their first appearences or so...what star trek character, movies or TV SHOWS, was the most atypical Star Trek character?

The nut who kidnapped Data for his collection might fit the bill...

or, perhaps at the start, the Borg. And I mean at the start, before they were, I think, ruined by the invention of the Queen who totally gutted their hive-thing..which made them so scary in the first place

I have, and always will, like SYBOK. I liked the way Luckinbill played it because he didn't seem Vulcan at all.. WHICH WAS THE FRICKING POINT OF THE MOVIE...but I digress..

who fits the bill for you???

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 12:42 AM   #2
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Re: most un-TREK character

I think that was the point of "Outrageous" Thaddeus Okona when he was introduced... or at least a contrast to the TNG types in early seasons.
Old January 14 2009, 01:07 AM   #3
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

^^^I was thinking him. More of a Han Solo or a Madmardigan type.

I might even say Ens. Ro, when she first appeared.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 01:13 AM   #4
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Miles O'Brien, who was and apparently still is Starfleet's ONLY enlisted person. Don't get me wrong - I like O'Brien. But what the heck?!

Guinan. Why is this woman, who isn't Starfleet or at least related to a crewperson, on the ship? Why the heck does it need a bartender, with replicators? And if it was going to have one, shouldn't she be in Starfleet, in the Recreation Department?

Ro Laren. How'd someone like that fit through the doors to her Starfleet Academy classes with that HUGE chip on her shoulders? Or put another way, it just doesn't seem to me that she'd have made it through to graduate.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 03:06 AM   #5
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

^ I agree about Guinan. But not so much about O'Brien. On DS9 you see him working and talking to other enlisted people all the time. In fact, in one episode he takes the time to explain how to deal with the (enlisted) engineering personnel on the Defiant.

Ro Lauren I think I'm okay with. She wasn't nearly as hostile as B'Elanna Torres...and while Torres dropped out of the Academy, she DID get in and was quite successful at first. I always figured Lauren, not being Klingon, was able to keep her hostility in better check.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 03:09 AM   #6
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I think the notion that all characters have to fit certain molds or else they're "un-Trek" is a big part of why everyone stopped watching.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 03:32 AM   #7
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

USS_Triumphant wrote: View Post
Guinan. Why is this woman, who isn't Starfleet or at least related to a crewperson, on the ship? Why the heck does it need a bartender, with replicators? And if it was going to have one, shouldn't she be in Starfleet, in the Recreation Department?
Yeah, great way to simulate a bar or pub, by making people order from replicators. They might as well stay in their quarters then.

Why is it necessary for the bartender to hold a rank in Starfleet? So he/she can take over the bridge when all 800 other more qualified Starfleet people on board pass out?

There were other civilians on board. Ben from Lower Decks for example. Like he explained in that very episode, "when he [Will Riker] comes in here he wants to be treated like a civilian".

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 03:38 AM   #8
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Dane_Whitman wrote: View Post
There were other civilians on board. Ben from Lower Decks for example.
True. But he seemed like a family member for a crewperson.
Old January 14 2009, 05:14 AM   #9
rick
Lieutenant Junior Grade

mayweather, reed, or that dude that played max hedroom that was on TNG.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 05:31 AM   #10
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

It's got to be Sisko. He's an ass-kicking messiah-type who manipulated the Romulans into declaring war on the Dominion. Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and Archer don't even remotely have a resume like that.
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 06:55 AM   #11
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Starfleet HAS a Recreation Department?

As I understand it, Ten Forward is there for a combination off-duty water cooler and diplomatic function housing - having a bartender adds to the atmosphere of that. As to why 'this woman' is on the ship, she is a friend of Captain Picard's - likely he invited her aboard and who's going to argue with the Captain of the ship? Starfleet allowed the Galaxy class ship to carry around dozens of civilians already, she wasn't really that out of place.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 07:39 AM   #12
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Why would someone join Starfleet to be a bartender?

It makes sense, at least to me, that they'd hire civilians for their more mundane needs.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 07:47 AM   #13
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I would say Garak. Absolutely, completely freaking amoral, coldhearted, sociopathic scary little so-and-so, and yet one of the "heroes" by the end.
Old January 14 2009, 08:45 AM   #14
2 of 10
Captain

I don't really know why, but Admiral Alynna Nechayev always had the deer in the headlights look to her, espically when was telling Pickard what to do/or where to go, she was not a very convincing Admiral.
2 of 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 12:27 PM   #15
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
Starfleet HAS a Recreation Department?
According to some sources, the Recreation Department is a sub-department of Starfleet Medical that assists in maintaining the psychological well-being of crewpeople.

And don't get so defensive of Guinan. I liked her when all was said and done. I was just describing my initial reaction to her, which was that she seemed out of place. (And from what we know about her experience with the Nexus, that seems a particularly accurate observation. )
Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
I would say Garak. Absolutely, completely freaking amoral, coldhearted, sociopathic scary little so-and-so, and yet one of the "heroes" by the end.
Now that you bring him up, I agree.