TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 8 2010, 08:44 PM   #31
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Star Trek; Starfleet Academy

Brainsucker wrote: View Post
I think, Star Trek Academy is a good idea for the next series. But, even when the Anime is good, I prefer Live Action.
Brainsucker we know we won't see Anime style on American TV for Trek TV series.
I would like to ask you whether you would like CGI animation (as discussed in this thread), traditional animation, or a live-action series if it were based around Starfleet Academy cadets.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2010, 02:13 AM   #32
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander

errr...don't know about CGI. But it can work

The problem of Live Action is that every Stage that used in episodes will increase the cost of the budget. While in CGI, the creator can create as many as stages / setting as they want.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2010, 02:13 AM   #33
Brainsucker
Lieutenant Commander

errr...don't know about CGI. But it can work

The problem of Live Action is that every Stage that used in episodes will increase the cost of the budget. While in CGI, the creator can create as many as stages / setting as they want.
Brainsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2010, 02:43 AM   #34
Whofan
Fleet Captain

Red Rapier wrote: View Post
Jeyl: You're right, I've never seen Moribito. But I'm monumentally unimpressed with anime style. The ridiculous doe eyes alone make me want to barf! Even though I like early anime like Speed Racer and even Starblazers, I really have an intense dislilke of that unrealistic, unnatural style where peoples' mouths are twisted into toothsome maws! -- RR

Whofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2010, 04:06 PM   #35
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

elite cadets at Starfleet Academy

from the What channel should a new Trek TV series be on? thread regarding a Starfleet Academy-based Trek series
Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
The trick to doing this is to tell stories about young Starfleet cadets that deal with whatever emotional problems they have in addition to being what they are as Starfleet cadets. The Starfleet Academy comic book by Marvel did this quite well; maybe a show can use it a s a guide.
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy was a comic book series published by Marvel Comics in the United States, running for 19 issues from December 1996 until June 1998.
The series followed the adventures of Nog and his classmates in Omega Squad in the years 2372 and 2373.
Now that is 211 years after Starfleet Academy was created.
It was created in the year 2161
SOURCE
via Starfleet Academy wiki:
A Starfleet Academy TV series has been proposed several times, but has never made it past the discussion stage.
although
The Academy existed as early as the 2140s. It was originally used as a training ground for United Earth Starfleet personnel.
I think a more exciting time would be around 2161 when Starfleet Academy is first created.

check out these locations that would be used for the series:
Starfleet Academy training bases and annexes
and these extention courses would make great 2 or 3 part episodes:

There is also the separate
Red Squad or Cadet Training Squadron 47 was an elite group of cadets at Starfleet Academy. Red Squad members received special classes and advanced fieldwork training.
as well as
Nova Squadron

which would make a good idea for a series since one would assume these cadets would be older and more mature rather than young EMO angst. It was in 2372, the program was a relatively new idea when the comic book series of the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy's Omega Squad was also set.
Old October 15 2010, 08:54 PM   #36
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Horror Club wrote: View Post
the US Naval Academy did it for a while was you went to the academy for one year, then you receive academic and practical instruction aboard ships with the fleet for three years as a midshipman, followed by one more year at the academy.

A Star Trek series that follow a group of midshipman AWAY from the academy during their second, third and fourth years aboard a starship would be far more interesting than a campus show.
This could work and would put the cadets on a ship for a 3-year period of time.
Of course the pilot could be done at the academy and a reveal at the end of the ship leaving spacedock.
Old October 16 2010, 08:53 PM   #37
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Maybe animation would be ok after all. I'm warming up to the Clone Wars animation style. It's great for doing the spaceships, planets and nonhumanoid characters and monsters. For humanoids, the movements are still too weightless and jerky, but the faces can be animated to be emotionally believable, which gives that style a vital advantage over more 2-D styles of animation.

I'd still prefer live-action, though.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2010, 07:38 PM   #38
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
same problem with every academy idea concept-which is it's about kids going to school!
How about this, same cast of youthful characters, but change the setting. Make them senior midshipmen assigned to a one ship or have them as a group moving between many ships. The commissioned officers are peripheral characters, rarely seen. Show the "kids" carrying out mission from the ship, not from the academy. They still have a lot to learn, sometimes the lessons come hard won.
Then it's just "The Lower Decks: The Series," an idea I'd find as repulsive as "Star Trek: Kids In School."

I want to see officers fully graduated and doing the job. I don't want to see wet-behind-the-ears man- and woman-children learning stuff. I have to watch that everyday I go to work. It's never pretty, and I couldn't bring myself to watch any series based on the concept.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2010, 08:19 PM   #39
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

What if our young heroes-in-training are more intrepid, intelligent and admirable than the pack of bozos you apparently are forced to work with?

I agree, nobody wants a show that reminds them of the bozos they know personally. Unless it's comedy.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2010, 01:30 AM   #40
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Frankenvorta wrote: View Post
What if our young heroes-in-training are more intrepid, intelligent and admirable than the pack of bozos you apparently are forced to work with?

I agree, nobody wants a show that reminds them of the bozos they know personally. Unless it's comedy.
Then you run into the Wesley problem. You can't have a bunch of cadets constantly saving the ship. There should be a reason they are only cadets and not officers.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2010, 09:56 PM   #41
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Frankenvorta wrote: View Post

Then you run into the Wesley problem. You can't have a bunch of cadets constantly saving the ship. There should be a reason they are only cadets and not officers.
^^^Well said!

Old October 19 2010, 06:07 AM   #42
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Then it's just "The Lower Decks: The Series," an idea I'd find as repulsive as "Star Trek: Kids In School."

I want to see officers fully graduated and doing the job. I don't want to see wet-behind-the-ears man- and woman-children learning stuff. .
The experienced officer can't be too peripheral. Maybe something more like a mentor - apprentice relationship. Something like what you see in a lot of cop shows, firefighter shows, series where a percentage of the time the "youngling" is the hero of the day. The character of Tim McGee on NCIS would be an example (the only one who comes to mind).

There no way around the midshipmen's being a rookie, greenhorn, neophyte, to a certain degree. But if written correctly the individuals inexperience would be engaging to watch. Again the rookie cop example.

The characters would not be completely ignorant. There would be academy training behind them, the (rare) occasional flash-back could come into play.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2010, 06:12 AM   #43
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

if written correctly the individuals inexperience would be engaging to watch. Again the rookie cop example.
I honestly cannot see this as the basis for a series with say 6-10 characters that would stay for say 5 years. At some point it will become boring for the audience to see the very formulaic experienced one teaching the rookie ala CSI investigators teaching the junior CSI fresh out of the laboratory.
Maybe 1 season then I'd be bored of it and the characters may grow but in 2-3 seasons the entire premise of the show with the same characters just won't work.
Old October 19 2010, 05:57 PM   #44
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I want to see officers fully graduated and doing the job. I don't want to see wet-behind-the-ears man- and woman-children learning stuff. .
The experienced officer can't be too peripheral. Maybe something more like a mentor - apprentice relationship. Something like what you see in a lot of cop shows, firefighter shows, series where a percentage of the time the "youngling" is the hero of the day. The character of Tim McGee on NCIS would be an example (the only one who comes to mind).
But Tim McGee is not the star of NCIS. Jethro Gibbs, the grizzled, gray-haired former marine and agent-since-forever is the star of NCIS. Under the academy scenario, Tim McGee would be the focus of the series. Would you want to watch that?

And there's one fact that really ought to kill this deal once and for all: IT. HAS. BEEN. DONE. BEFORE. By Filmation. Starring Doctor Smith. All you'd be doing is putting those characters in Starfleet uniforms.

Old October 19 2010, 06:24 PM   #45
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

And there's one fact that really ought to kill this deal once and for all: IT. HAS. BEEN. DONE. BEFORE. By Filmation. Starring Doctor Smith. All you'd be doing is putting those characters in Starfleet uniforms.
After a few minutes of searching and deducing you are talking about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Academy
Space Academy was a live-action sci-fi children's television program, produced by Filmation and airing on CBS television on Saturday mornings from 1977 to 1979. A total of fifteen half-hour episodes were made over two seasons.
Jonathan Harris, [Dr. Smith on “Lost in Space”] as Commander Isaac Gampu appears as the headmaster in Space Academy
Space Academy opening video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnAaM...layer_embedded

Much like the premise of Star Trek's Starfleet Academy, the Space Academy (located on an asteroid, and occasionally shown on camera) brought together the best young minds, and those with special skills and abilities, to learn and prepare to experience the unknown, as Earth people continued to branch out into space during the distant future.
Space Academy: The Complete Series on DVD in Region 1 on January 16, 2007.[1] The 4 disc set includes many special features.
As of 2009, this release has been discontinued and is out of print