RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,680
Members: 24,828
Currently online: 406
Newest member: DimeRhyme

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 30 2008, 08:53 PM   #1
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

Watching Buffy for the first time & hoping to avoid spoilers question

Hey guys. I recently bought the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer off Amazon UK for 70 bucks and am starting to watch season 1. I tried looking on Wikipedia for some info on the show but wanted to avoid spoilers.

When exactly does the Angel spin off start? And how interconnected are the two series, in comparison to say SG-1 and Atlantis? Like, do they actually have a two parter that starts in one show and ends in another?

Thanks
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 09:00 PM   #2
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman
Re: Watching Buffy for the first time & hoping to avoid spoilers quest

cal888 wrote: View Post
Hey guys. I recently bought the entire series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer off Amazon UK for 70 bucks and am starting to watch season 1. I tried looking on Wikipedia for some info on the show but wanted to avoid spoilers.

When exactly does the Angel spin off start? And how interconnected are the two series, in comparison to say SG-1 and Atlantis? Like, do they actually have a two parter that starts in one show and ends in another?

Thanks
Angel picks up after the 3rd year of Buffy. the two shows are fairly independent, but there are a handful of crossover episodes and occasional references to what happens in the other show.

If I'm not mistaken, the proper viewing order is to watch the Buffy episode, then the Angel episode, and then just keep alternating.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the proper viewing order is to watch the Buffy episode, then the Angel episode, and then just keep alternating.
For Season Buffy 4/Angel1 and Buffy 5/Angel 2 yes that's right. 1st ep of Buffy, 1st of Angel, 2nd of Buffy, 2nd of Angel, etc etc

After that the shows split between the WB and UPN, so it's not so clear cut.
But A. They're aren't that many crossovers then anyways,
B. It's fun to do it but not 100% vitally important. Wait and see how much you enjoy the shows or not to see if you can be bothered
C. That'll be a long way off, 144 episodes of the verse until the end of B5/A2, so don't worry about it just yet
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 01:42 AM   #4
Seven of Five
Commodore

I want to watch Buffy again for the first time. Wish there was a memory wipe!

As you're probably already gathering at this point, it isn't really essential to watch Buffy and Angel alternately to enjoy them. I had finished season 6 of Buffy before I went anywhere near Angel. They are both quite independent shows and you don't need to watch one to get the other; watching seasons 1-3 of Buffy first does enhance certain character arcs in Angel and I would highly recommend it.

However, if you do want to watch Buffy/Angel/Buffy/Angel, then watching them alternatively works from the start of season 4, until season 6, where they stopped temporarily after Buffy moved to the UPN network. Angel was still airing on the WB network, where Buffy had previously aired for five seasons. Season 7 is a tad more complicated. Here are the episodes that feature some sort of direct crossover between the shows:

Season 4 Buffy/Season 1 Angel
4x01 'The Freshman'/1x01 'City Of...'
4x03 'The Harsh Light of Day'/1x03 'In The Dark'
4x08 'Pangs'/1x08 'I Will Remember You'
4x15 and 4x16 'This Year's Girl,' and 'Who Are You'/1x18 and 1x19 'Five By Five' and 'Sanctuary'
4x20 'The Yoko Factor'

Season 5 Buffy/Season 2 Angel
2x01 'Judgment'
5x07 'Fool For Love'/2x07 'Darla'
2x09-2x11 'The Trial,' 'Reunion,' 'Redefinition'
5x17 'Forever'/2x17 'Disharmony'
2x22 'There's No Place Like Pltz Glrb'

Season 6 Buffy/Season 3 Angel
3x01 'Heartthrob'
There's an offscreen crossover between episodes 4 and 5 of both Buffy and Angel.

Season 7 Buffy/Season 4 Angel
Argh! Complicated. This season of Angel happens in a compressed space of time, yet is supposed to link up with Buffy which stretches on for a longer period. Oh well. Crossover goodness happens between 4x13 and 4x15; 'Salvage,' 'Release,' 'Orpehous.' Events in 7x17 'Lies My Parents Told Me' happen before 4x15 'Orpheous' so your viewing of alternate episodes would have to change here. 7x18 'Dirty Girls' slots in after 4x15, but then to add to the confusion, events in 4x22 'Home' happen before 7x21 and 7x22 'End of Days,' and 'Chosen.'

Season 5 of Angel has more crossover fun, after Buffy went off the air, but I'll leave that for you to find out.

Last edited by Seven of Five; December 31 2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Angel and Buffy history is hard
Seven of Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 02:03 AM   #5
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

cal888 wrote: View Post

Thanks
Yeah I had this question when I was first watching the show but they make it pretty clear that Angel is leaving.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Kryton
Admiral

Remember that Angel's leaving is directly tied to the earliest appearance by "The First". (That's not enough of a spoiler to spoil anything unless you've already seen it all.)
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 10:26 PM   #7
cal888
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for all your input. Have watched the first nine episodes of the series, and am enjoying it.

Just wish they were a little more realistic about the students and town residents reacting to such a high questionable death rate...
cal888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 11:34 PM   #8
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

The high mortality rate is just a way of life (or death as it were) in Sunnydale, so everyone pretty much just goes on. That's part of the joke.
Old December 31 2008, 11:47 PM   #9
Forbin
Admiral

There's a gag about at the end of season three - that particular class of Sunnydale High having the lowest ever mortality rate thanks to Buffy.

But yeah, the residents (and Joyce Summers in particular) are made out to be VERY clueless.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2009, 12:05 AM   #10
Kryton
Admiral

But I truly loved Joyce...considering that most shows centered around youth/teens rarely bother to give the stars any parents at all, or they tend to be parental assholes. Joyce spent a lot of time in denial over the whole thing, but she eventually came around and was very cool I thought (again, trying to be vague to avoid spoilers).
Old January 1 2009, 01:43 AM   #11
amdmiami
Commander

Yah Joyce was a sweetheart. To bad we couldn't get to see much of Xander and Willow's parents.
There are many times throughout the series were I question: Were the hell are their parents at a time like this?
For example:
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
amdmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2009, 01:45 AM   #12
Kryton
Admiral

Well, (and it's not really a spoiler) Xander's entire family is a bunch of ultra-dysfunctional drunks, more or less.

But his dad was played by Sgt. Wojohowicz from Barney Miller, so that was cool.
Old January 1 2009, 01:50 AM   #13
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

amdmiami wrote: View Post
Yah Joyce was a sweetheart. To bad we couldn't get to see much of Xander and Willow's parents.
There are many times throughout the series were I question: Were the hell are their parents at a time like this?
For example:
It could also be becuase by that point their children were adults and had moved out.
Old January 1 2009, 03:32 AM   #14
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
There's a gag about at the end of season three - that particular class of Sunnydale High having the lowest ever mortality rate thanks to Buffy.

But yeah, the residents (and Joyce Summers in particular) are made out to be VERY clueless.
But then by the second year of Angel it seemed odd that so Angelenos were clued in.
Old January 1 2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post

Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote