Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 6 2009, 10:50 PM   #31
Christopher
Writer

Re: Because I'm completely nuts..

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I was a loyal watcher back in the day, myself. I just figured that he would have "moved passed cartoons" by the point this show was full bore.
I don't understand the concept of "moving past" cartoons. I was 18 when the show premiered, and I was watching it from the word go (although I gave up on it after Straczynski left).

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 01:35 AM   #32
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

In rewatching it this week I agree with Chris, it's a very "grownup" cartoon from a sense of mentality and execution. Very well done.

They just don't make cartoons like this anymore.
Old January 7 2009, 03:03 AM   #33
Data Holmes
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
In rewatching it this week I agree with Chris, it's a very "grownup" cartoon from a sense of mentality and execution. Very well done.

They just don't make cartoons like this anymore.
That's why it was so popular.
Old January 7 2009, 03:10 AM   #34
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I kind of wish the bumpers between the commercial breaks were removed. They kind of break the "flow" of watching the DVDs.
Old January 7 2009, 04:33 AM   #35
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

Im 35, female, & I used to love it!

does anyone know why Egon looked nothing like the version in the movie? I know they couldnt use the actors likenesses but the other guys at least somewhat resembled their big screen counterparts. His hair always bugged me.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 04:48 AM   #36
Christopher
Writer

melancholymecha wrote: View Post
does anyone know why Egon looked nothing like the version in the movie? I know they couldnt use the actors likenesses but the other guys at least somewhat resembled their big screen counterparts. His hair always bugged me.
The characters were redesigned and given different hair colors and styles to make them more visually distinctive, easier to recognize from a distance. (That's also the reason for giving them all different-colored jumpsuits.) Egon and Peter both got more slender faces out of it, but somebody had to be blond and it ended up being Egon. Though I can't explain how Egon ended up with that bizarre cylindrical pompadour. Except that it does make him very distinctive. It's been said that the first rule of good cartoon character design is to make the character instantly recognizable even in silhouette.

Old January 7 2009, 05:03 AM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Egon's "hair" always cracked me up.

For a stuffy, brainacal German he sure did have a lot of "style" between the "bizzare cylindrical pompadour" and the red-framed glasses.

It's interesting, the cartoon implies that the actors in the movies are the "fake" Ghostbusters and that, well, the cartoon versions are the "real" ones as at one point in the cartoon the Ghostbusters are consulted on a movie made about them and they show some disgusted surprise over the guys "Murray, Akroyd and Ramis" playing them. I guess Winston felt he did pretty good with Ernie Hudson.

As Christopher said, their differences in apperance is mostly so they're distinctive looking not only for the visual effect of the cartoon, but also when shown in silhouette and in a cartoon even three distinct looking men like Ramis, Akroyd and Murray could look similar I also suspect some likeness/rights issues were in play too. Making cartoons after the likenesses of the real actors would probably entitle them to some royalties.
Old January 7 2009, 07:09 PM   #38
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's interesting, the cartoon implies that the actors in the movies are the "fake" Ghostbusters and that, well, the cartoon versions are the "real" ones as at one point in the cartoon the Ghostbusters are consulted on a movie made about them and they show some disgusted surprise over the guys "Murray, Akroyd and Ramis" playing them.
"Sounds like a law firm." (Ohh, please tell me Netflix has this set. I'd love to see the show again.)

I think that's a very elegant way to reconcile the discrepancies between the film and the show. There are always discrepancies when a movie becomes a TV series, but usually you just have to ignore them. Here, they came up with a perfect explanation for it.

I guess Winston felt he did pretty good with Ernie Hudson.
Actually I think the "real" Winston would've been miffed by the movies, since in the films, Winston was relegated to second-stringer status, getting less screen time than the other three. In the animated show, Winston was a full equal, and was the most competent, level-headed member of the team.

I also suspect some likeness/rights issues were in play too. Making cartoons after the likenesses of the real actors would probably entitle them to some royalties.
Yes, I'm fairly certain that was a factor too.

Filmation's cartoon adaptations of TV shows like Star Trek and Gilligan's Island generally used the actors' likenesses, but they usually had the original actors playing the roles anyway, so they were getting paid already. In Gilligan, the only character who didn't resemble the original actor was Ginger, because Tina Louise wasn't involved. They changed Ginger into a ditzy-voiced Marilyn Monroe clone.

On the other hand, I've always felt that Filmation's Lone Ranger looked a lot like Clayton Moore and their Tarzan looked a lot like Buster Crabbe. So maybe likeness rights are not universal and it depends on the actor's contract. It's probably become more common to include them in contracts over time, what with the increasing prevalence of merchandise using actors' likenesses.

Old January 7 2009, 07:55 PM   #39
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

It's interesting, the cartoon implies that the actors in the movies are the "fake" Ghostbusters and that, well, the cartoon versions are the "real" ones as at one point in the cartoon the Ghostbusters are consulted on a movie made about them and they show some disgusted surprise over the guys "Murray, Akroyd and Ramis" playing them. I guess Winston felt he did pretty good with Ernie Hudson.
I think I vaguely remember that. It really was a smart show huh?
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2009, 08:52 PM   #40
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

"Sounds like a law firm." (Ohh, please tell me Netflix has this set. I'd love to see the show again.)
Peter (to the director): I bet Redford was just dying to play me, wasn't he?

As far as I know this box-set is only available through Time Life, it isn't even in stores.

But "season" sets are due out this year for general release which would put them in Best Buy and likely in NetFlix.
Old January 7 2009, 10:11 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

What would be really cool is if these DVDs had isolated music tracks. Shuki Levy & Haim Saban did the music to seemingly hundreds of '80s cartoons, most of which was fairly ordinary and forgettable, but The Real Ghostbusters featured some of their finest and most eclectic work.

Old January 8 2009, 06:39 AM   #42
Kryton
Admiral

Any excuse to hear Maurice LaMarche is a good thing.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2009, 05:11 PM   #43
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Good Jeebus that's a whole load of awesome. I wish I had the $$$ to spare for it right now!
Old January 8 2009, 05:54 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Kryton wrote: View Post
Any excuse to hear Maurice LaMarche is a good thing.
You're pondering what I'm pondering.

Old January 9 2009, 12:41 AM   #45
Kryton
Admiral

I think so, Brain...but where are we going to find lederhosen for every orangutan in the world at this time of night?

NARF!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote