Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 6 2009, 12:57 AM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Because I'm completely nuts..

For what it's worth, the actual title of Filmation's original live-action sitcom was The Ghost Busters. And as I understand it, Columbia sued Filmation for the right to use the name, and they settled out of court for an undisclosed sum, with the settlement preserving Filmation's right to use their original title and concept. Filmation's animated show (a sequel to the live-action original, featuring the twentysomething sons of Storch's and Tucker's characters) had the working title of The Original Ghostbusters, but the title it ended up with was Filmation's Ghostbusters.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 01:48 AM   #17
Plain Simple
Commodore

So, does the dvd experience live up to what you remember as a kid? For me cartoons that I watched as a kid just (almost) never do. Not that I see much of them anymore.

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.
Plain Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 01:53 AM   #18
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Plain Simple wrote: View Post
So, does the dvd experience live up to what you remember as a kid? For me cartoons that I watched as a kid just (almost) never do. Not that I see much of them anymore.
Eh.

It still a good cartoon, I'd say one of the better-made ones fromthe 80s, and I'm enjoying watching the DVDs but, frankly, they're more novelty than they are anything else, I'd say.
Old January 6 2009, 01:59 AM   #19
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

cylkoth wrote: View Post
Manticore wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
Probably a dumb question from someone who has never seen this show, but why do they call it "The Real" Ghostbusters?
Filmation held the rights to a cartoon named The Ghostbusters (and was producing a cartoon with said name).
Filmation produced a live action Sat AM series called Ghostbusters, which starred Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch in the early 70s, about-wait for it, a trio of ghost busters! Columbia was oblivious to the fact that their big, million dollar budgeted movie starring one of the biggest stars of the 80s, happened to violate Filmation's copyright. Fil entered into an agreement with Colum to use the name, allowing Colum to proceed with it.
The movie became a huge hit, and a few years later both studios decided to produce an animated version of their respective properties. More legal wrangling ensued, with the end result, Columbia's having 'Real' tagged onto it to differentiate it from Fil's 'Original Ghostbusters'.
Fascinating! Thanks for the info. I had no idea there was a "competing" Ghostbusters franchise (albeit a much smaller one) out there.
Old January 6 2009, 05:18 AM   #20
Data Holmes
Admiral

I so want this one... As soon as I have an extra $200 laying around, I intend to buy this. Just one of many pieces of my youth I plan on picking up.
Old January 6 2009, 05:28 AM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
I so want this one... As soon as I have an extra $200 laying around, I intend to buy this. Just one of many pieces of my youth I plan on picking up.
I tell ya, it is a "fun" series and there's actually some good episodes scattered here and there. It really makes me wonder if, say, they never did the toon and today they made a weekly series and these toons were the "episodes" of it. (There'd have to be some changes to fit with a more naturakistic setting)

I think it would've been pretty neat, especially in today's time where the ghost/equipment effects could be done within a TV show's budget. I could see it being a "CSI"-like series only around paranormal investigations and eliminations rather than crime-solving.

Ah what could be.

Worth noting, too, that retail-releases of the "seasons" (actually volumes) are coming this Spring. So if you don't want to spring for the $200 "Firehouse" boxset you can wait until the volumed releases come out.

But the firehouse box is pretty neat, comes with a nice booklet listing out the episodes (and as I said earlier the Slimer episodes are seperated on the last two discs and the "regular" episodes of the hour-long format show are on their own) and some neat bonus features -which I've not watched yet.

Yeah, people can keep their GI Joe, their Transformers, their He-Man and Thundercats, etc. The Real Ghostbusters is MY nostalgic "grew up with it" 80s cartoon!.

God, I had all of the toys. All of the Ghostbusters, Ecto-1 and Ecto-2 I also had the firehouse playset (which I "expanded" by building an "addition" behind it with Construx to make more living quarters and my own "containment unit."

Old January 6 2009, 06:24 AM   #22
Data Holmes
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I tell ya, it is a "fun" series and there's actually some good episodes scattered here and there. It really makes me wonder if, say, they never did the toon and today they made a weekly series and these toons were the "episodes" of it. (There'd have to be some changes to fit with a more naturakistic setting)

I think it would've been pretty neat, especially in today's time where the ghost/equipment effects could be done within a TV show's budget. I could see it being a "CSI"-like series only around paranormal investigations and eliminations rather than crime-solving.

Ah what could be.

Worth noting, too, that retail-releases of the "seasons" (actually volumes) are coming this Spring. So if you don't want to spring for the $200 "Firehouse" boxset you can wait until the volumed releases come out.

But the firehouse box is pretty neat, comes with a nice booklet listing out the episodes (and as I said earlier the Slimer episodes are seperated on the last two discs and the "regular" episodes of the hour-long format show are on their own) and some neat bonus features -which I've not watched yet.

Yeah, people can keep their GI Joe, their Transformers, their He-Man and Thundercats, etc. The Real Ghostbusters is MY nostalgic "grew up with it" 80s cartoon!.

God, I had all of the toys. All of the Ghostbusters, Ecto-1 and Ecto-2 I also had the firehouse playset (which I "expanded" by building an "addition" behind it with Construx to make more living quarters and my own "containment unit."

How old are you?
Old January 6 2009, 12:31 PM   #23
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

How old are you?
Old January 6 2009, 01:52 PM   #24
Data Holmes
Admiral

How old are you?
Weren't you a little old for this toon?
Old January 6 2009, 02:30 PM   #25
Ward Fowler
Commodore

How old are you?
I'm 34 and I used to watch it.
Old January 6 2009, 03:27 PM   #26
Manticore
Rear Admiral

How old are you?
He'd have been 6/7-12/13. So no, not too old.
Old January 6 2009, 05:39 PM   #27
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I wouldn't mind checking this thing out again. Comparing the animated version with the live-action version is always fun.
T'Baio wrote: View Post
I didn't click on the original post and thought you bought Stephen King's IT.
That's what I thought at first too.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 08:53 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

Definitely not. It's an outmoded prejudice to assume that if something is animated, it's therefore intended for children. Animation is a medium, not a genre. It can be used to tell stories suited for audiences of all ages.

And The Real Ghostbusters was a pioneering show in this regard. Under story editor J. Michael Straczynski (who later created Babylon 5 and wrote the recent Angelina Jolie movie The Changeling), it was one of the first US animated series that broke out of the "kiddie show" mold and raised the bar of American TV animation to a more adult, sophisticated level. True, it was still kept appropriate for children, with violence and sex kept to a minimum, but the stories were smart, witty, sophisticated, often macabre and twisted, sometimes quite poignant. They were literate fantasy, based on everything from Norse mythology ("Ragnarok and Roll") to Celtic mythology ("Banshee Bake a Cherry Pie") to Washington Irving ("The Headless Motorcyclist") to H. P. Lovecraft ("The Collect Call of Cthulhu"). They were written by acclaimed SFTV scribes like Straczynski, Michael Reaves, Diane Duane, David Gerrold, and Marc Scott Zicree. (And they defied cartoon conventions sometimes. For instance, TRG was just about the only animated show I've ever seen which correctly acknowledged that falling into water from a great height would be as fatal as hitting concrete.)

True, it did get toned down to a more juvenile level once Straczynski left, and was never as free of censorship in its later Saturday morning seasons as it was in its original syndication season. But those first 65 episodes, and some of the ones that followed, were pioneering stuff for their day, and by showing American audiences and executives that animated shows could be smart and older-skewing, they helped pave the way for later animation classics like Batman: TAS, Gargoyles, Justice League, and Avatar.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 09:25 PM   #29
Data Holmes
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Definitely not. It's an outmoded prejudice to assume that if something is animated, it's therefore intended for children. Animation is a medium, not a genre. It can be used to tell stories suited for audiences of all ages.

And The Real Ghostbusters was a pioneering show in this regard. Under story editor J. Michael Straczynski (who later created Babylon 5 and wrote the recent Angelina Jolie movie The Changeling), it was one of the first US animated series that broke out of the "kiddie show" mold and raised the bar of American TV animation to a more adult, sophisticated level. True, it was still kept appropriate for children, with violence and sex kept to a minimum, but the stories were smart, witty, sophisticated, often macabre and twisted, sometimes quite poignant. They were literate fantasy, based on everything from Norse mythology ("Ragnarok and Roll") to Celtic mythology ("Banshee Bake a Cherry Pie") to Washington Irving ("The Headless Motorcyclist") to H. P. Lovecraft ("The Collect Call of Cthulhu"). They were written by acclaimed SFTV scribes like Straczynski, Michael Reaves, Diane Duane, David Gerrold, and Marc Scott Zicree. (And they defied cartoon conventions sometimes. For instance, TRG was just about the only animated show I've ever seen which correctly acknowledged that falling into water from a great height would be as fatal as hitting concrete.)

True, it did get toned down to a more juvenile level once Straczynski left, and was never as free of censorship in its later Saturday morning seasons as it was in its original syndication season. But those first 65 episodes, and some of the ones that followed, were pioneering stuff for their day, and by showing American audiences and executives that animated shows could be smart and older-skewing, they helped pave the way for later animation classics like Batman: TAS, Gargoyles, Justice League, and Avatar.

Preaching to the choir here man...

I was a loyal watcher back in the day, myself. I just figured that he would have "moved passed cartoons" by the point this show was full bore.
Old January 6 2009, 09:58 PM   #30
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post

Preaching to the choir here man...

I was a loyal watcher back in the day, myself. I just figured that he would have "moved passed cartoons" by the point this show was full bore.
Well, as said, I would've been 6/7 when I started watching this show -harldy an age where you're too old to watch cartoons or to play with toys -esp. one as "sophisticated" as TRG was.