TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 29 2008, 11:03 PM   #46
Pixel
Commander

View Pixel's Twitter Profile
Re: For those who attend conventions, boy do I have an article for you

I gotta say - I think the idea of granny Vulcans rocks! Age brings serenity and wisdom, which Vulcans already possess in spades - a granny Vulcan would be serene and wise twice over! The kids can all go have their Playstations and what have you - the cool place to hang is with the smart people who have been there, done that, and have all the stories to tell. Roll on the granny Vulcan revolution!
Old December 30 2008, 07:15 PM   #47
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

[quote=teacake;2447694][quote=QuasarVM;2447618Why does it amuse you that they dress up as elderly Vulcans? Is dressing up only for the people you think are attractive?[/quote]

In a word....yes.

I'm a 40-year old Afro Canadian male, and I'm also grossly overweight. I am a volunteer at the Saturday Night Masquerade at the Polaris conventions in Toronto, and I've observed (and taken pictures of) cosplayers. To be fair, there are older people-long-time cosplayers-who do look great as who they dress up as (two people, now dead, who used to dress up as Picard and as Amanda come to mind), so I will leave the older ones alone.

I will not, however, leave the 'starpigs' alone; as a fellow fatty, I find their attempts to dress up as characters they don't have the body shapes for completely and utterly ridiculous. If you are slim enough to be Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, et.al, then by all means, do so. However, if you are 300 lbs. and trying to be most of the characters you see on TV, guess what-it just looks plain dumb, unless you're cosplaying as Jev Porkins. In fact, that also applies to most Starfleet officers and crew seen on most of the various Star Trek shows, to say nothing of most of the other sci-fi shows/movies because they aren't fat either. This detail came to the fore nationally on the Dr. Phil show when a Star Wars fan said that he wanted to lose weight to be able to fit into a Stormtrooper uniform to be a member of the 301st Imperial Legion-exactly the reason I won't be cosplaying myself until I lose weight. To sum up: I don't mind their being fat, so long as they don't try to dress in costumes that don't suit them.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 07:24 PM   #48
Flibble
Fleet Captain

I used to get a lot of con lurgi back in the late 70's and early 80's, but over the past few years, I have been fit and healthy after every convention. Now that I have said that, the next one I go to, I'll get something nasty......
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 12:22 AM   #49
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

[quote=Dusty Ayres;2452638][quote=teacake;2447694]
QuasarVM;2447618Why does it amuse you that they dress up as elderly Vulcans? Is dressing up only for the people you think are attractive?[/quote wrote:

In a word....yes.

I'm a 40-year old Afro Canadian male, and I'm also grossly overweight. I am a volunteer at the Saturday Night Masquerade at the Polaris conventions in Toronto, and I've observed (and taken pictures of) cosplayers. To be fair, there are older people-long-time cosplayers-who do look great as who they dress up as (two people, now dead, who used to dress up as Picard and as Amanda come to mind), so I will leave the older ones alone.

I will not, however, leave the 'starpigs' alone; as a fellow fatty, I find their attempts to dress up as characters they don't have the body shapes for completely and utterly ridiculous. If you are slim enough to be Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, et.al, then by all means, do so. However, if you are 300 lbs. and trying to be most of the characters you see on TV, guess what-it just looks plain dumb, unless you're cosplaying as Jev Porkins. In fact, that also applies to most Starfleet officers and crew seen on most of the various Star Trek shows, to say nothing of most of the other sci-fi shows/movies because they aren't fat either. This detail came to the fore nationally on the Dr. Phil show when a Star Wars fan said that he wanted to lose weight to be able to fit into a Stormtrooper uniform to be a member of the 301st Imperial Legion-exactly the reason I won't be cosplaying myself until I lose weight. To sum up: I don't mind their being fat, so long as they don't try to dress in costumes that don't suit them.
A well reasoned and non-insulting post Dusty Ayers.

I have never dressed up, am not overweight but am no 7 of 9 LOL. I honestly thought that dressing up was all about fun and expressing your love for the character regardless of how closely you match them. Isn't a lot of it about the costumes themselves and what people have put into making them, how they creatively got around limitations etc.. how realistic are those Andorrian antennae? How accurate are the insignia, where did you get that wonderful fabric? Isn't it about the creativity FIRST with looking-hot as a side benefit that some achieve?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 01:48 AM   #50
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Pixel wrote: View Post
I gotta say - I think the idea of granny Vulcans rocks! Age brings serenity and wisdom, which Vulcans already possess in spades - a granny Vulcan would be serene and wise twice over! The kids can all go have their Playstations and what have you - the cool place to hang is with the smart people who have been there, done that, and have all the stories to tell. Roll on the granny Vulcan revolution!
Yeah, but I wouldn't have wanted to date one (when I was a single con-goer)...or a Starpig either...

That's where I was going with it.

I don't care if people are old or fat, but I know what I personally find attractive and that was part of another conversation here...so, in context...

I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment either. Otherwise there would be threads here for glorifying granny-Vulcans and Starpigs. But, there's not...

I think both the terms "granny-Vulcan" and "Starpig" are priceless...how can a word "bully"? Believe me, as a youngster Star Trek fan I know what true "bullying" is...and it didn't just involve words.

People are such wimps now.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 10:29 AM   #51
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Isn't it about the creativity FIRST with looking-hot as a side benefit that some achieve?
I agree. I don't care what people look like when they wear their uniforms etc. Part of costuming is making them, sitting in on cold winter nights, or whatever, putting costumes together; researching fabrics, tracking down embellishments.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2009, 03:23 AM   #52
dreadpiraterose
Lieutenant Commander

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Isn't it about the creativity FIRST with looking-hot as a side benefit that some achieve?
I agree. I don't care what people look like when they wear their uniforms etc. Part of costuming is making them, sitting in on cold winter nights, or whatever, putting costumes together; researching fabrics, tracking down embellishments.
Exactly

http://conventionfansblog.com/
dreadpiraterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 12:01 AM   #53
Lonemagpie
Writer

My wife gets round the figure issue by cosplaying as Londo Mollari.

But she doesn't weigh anywhere near 300lbs - but she has lovely curves and big tits...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 12:02 AM   #54
Lonemagpie
Writer

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
Yep, it's a creative hobby - great!

Says the guy who'll be Captain Barbossa next month...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote