RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,694
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 463
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 29 2008, 12:50 AM   #31
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Re: For those who attend conventions, boy do I have an article for you

dreadpiraterose wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
QuasarVM wrote: View Post
All I ever saw was starpigs (disgusting fatties) and granny vulcans (YES! Old ladies wearing pointed ears trying to be T'Pau or something...)!

Rarely did I ever see any attractive girls at conventions...and the one or two there were were swarmed by other dudes...or were there with their boyfriend.

Ugh. Made me wanna barf.
So much for IDIC eh.

Why not switch to another genre if you are so offended by elderly Vulcans.. I suggest James Bond, the females there never age.
That's cause they're mostly plastic
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:06 AM   #32
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

All I ever saw was starpigs (disgusting fatties) and granny vulcans (YES! Old ladies wearing pointed ears trying to be T'Pau or something...)!

Rarely did I ever see any attractive girls at conventions...and the one or two there were were swarmed by other dudes...or were there with their boyfriend.

Ugh. Made me wanna barf.
So much for IDIC eh.

Why not switch to another genre if you are so offended by elderly Vulcans.. I suggest James Bond, the females there never age.
I didn't say I was "offended"..."amused" is more the appropriate word...

But as to the starpigs...I kind of feel sorry for them. And they pretty much only caught my eye because there seemed to be disproportionate population of them compared to the rest of us. It's this imbalance that usually draws my scrutiny. I have nothing against fat people per se...

IDIC is still in force...that's why we can be inclusive of people like me who are amused by granny Vulcans and nauseated by starpigs.

Surely you aren't being intolerant of my lack of appreciation for starpigs and granny Vulcans?

Let me ask you.. do you dress up for cons now? Do you think that when you are older with grey hair you should stop dressing up?

Your posts are insulting and don't make a lot of sense. Cons are all about having fun. Trek is over 40 years old so there WILL be fans who are a lot older than you. Why does it amuse you that they dress up as elderly Vulcans? Is dressing up only for the people you think are attractive?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:08 AM   #33
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

So much for IDIC eh.

But as to the starpigs...I kind of feel sorry for them. And they pretty much only caught my eye because there seemed to be disproportionate population of them compared to the rest of us. It's this imbalance that usually draws my scrutiny. I have nothing against fat people per se...

IDIC is still in force...that's why we can be inclusive of people like me who are amused by granny Vulcans and nauseated by starpigs.

Surely you aren't being intolerant of my lack of appreciation for starpigs and granny Vulcans?

Let me ask you.. do you dress up for cons now? Do you think that when you are older with grey hair you should stop dressing up?

Your posts are insulting and don't make a lot of sense. Cons are all about having fun. Trek is over 40 years old so there WILL be fans who are a lot older than you. Why does it amuse you that they dress up as elderly Vulcans? Is dressing up only for the people you think are attractive?

Awwwww....

Are you a granny Vulcan? Did I hurt your granny Vulcan feelings? Are you a starpig? Clearly, I've struck a nerve here...

I think you are really being intolerant of my feelings. I think you should be more inclusive and appreciative of the fact that I notice the imbalance between the starpigs, granny Vulcans and non-starpigs and non-granny Wulcans.

No, I've never dressed up...that's not my bag...but to each their own...

I saw a hot gal dressed like Princess Leia in her slave outfit once. I had no qualms about that...:-)
Old December 29 2008, 01:11 AM   #34
dreadpiraterose
Lieutenant Commander

Time to stop feeding this discussion, in my opinion. If he wants to speak about fans that way, fine, but we don't need to egg him on, or provide more fodder.

http://conventionfansblog.com/
dreadpiraterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:17 AM   #35
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Time to stop feeding this discussion, in my opinion. If he wants to speak about fans that way, fine, but we don't need to egg him on, or provide more fodder.

Um, yeah...I agree dread...I'll stop...
Old December 29 2008, 01:17 AM   #36
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Yep. I've said everything I have to say on the matter.

Reading your blog makes me soooo want to go to a con DPR. I have only been to one, and not in this country. I might go in a few years, if they are still having them in Aus. Hopefully I can find someone to go with. In the meantime I enjoy reading about and looking at all the pics!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:18 AM   #37
dreadpiraterose
Lieutenant Commander

Reading your blog makes me soooo want to go to a con DPR. I have only been to one, and not in this country. I might go in a few years, if they are still having them in Aus. Hopefully I can find someone to go with. In the meantime I enjoy reading about and looking at all the pics!
Well, I'm glad you enjoy the blog. Conventions are definitely a lot of fun. I've met a lot of cool people, celebrities and fans a like.

http://conventionfansblog.com/
dreadpiraterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 01:23 AM   #38
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Well, I'm glad you enjoy the blog. Conventions are definitely a lot of fun. I've met a lot of cool people, celebrities and fans a like.
I must concur...
Old December 29 2008, 02:14 AM   #39
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Awwwww....

Are you a granny Vulcan? Did I hurt your granny Vulcan feelings? Are you a starpig? Clearly, I've struck a nerve here...

I think you are really being intolerant of my feelings. I think you should be more inclusive and appreciative of the fact that I notice the imbalance between the starpigs, granny Vulcans and non-starpigs and non-granny Wulcans.

Please be civil
Old December 29 2008, 05:58 AM   #40
Pinkle
Lieutenant

I have to say...I love the term "granny Vulcan." <3
My FurAffinity: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/pinkle
Pinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 12:33 PM   #41
Zod
Commander

Ugh. Made me wanna barf.

You obviously have never been to Dragon Con.

Hot women all over the place there.
Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 02:32 PM   #42
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Damn...

Well, it's a moot point now...I been branded!
Old December 29 2008, 02:33 PM   #43
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Pinkle wrote: View Post
I have to say...I love the term "granny Vulcan." <3

It was highly illogical...
Old December 29 2008, 02:55 PM   #44
Lonemagpie
Writer

Ugh. Made me wanna barf.
You obviously don't go to the right conventions- I've never found them short of gorgeous and interesting babes. In fact I married one, who I met at a convention.

As for the actual subject of the article-

Just been sick the once, and that was upon returning home from Rura Pontins, the notorious Warp One con at a dying holiday camp in Morecambe in 1996, at which about two-thirds of the folks, including me, got food poisoning. No way to avoid that one, really...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 04:07 PM   #45
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

Ugh. Made me wanna barf.
You obviously don't go to the right conventions- I've never found them short of gorgeous and interesting babes. In fact I married one, who I met at a convention.
Yeah, too late now...I'm hitched.

I went to conventions from the 70's through the 90's (When the conventions became one-day T-shirt and coffee mug sales)...there wasn't much to look at in those days.