Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 25 2008, 06:49 AM   #1
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Questons about my LCD TV

So I've got this nice LCD TV and I'm fooling around with some action/motion processor/filter thingine and when I've got it on the video looks... odd.

It looks sort of not-real? Almost like it's a pseudo 3D kind of effect but not really. This is when it was set to 120Hz.

So I was wondering what this thing is? It would seem to me that with it on things should look good not make me kind of sick and strange feeling. So I have it off. But I'm really wondering what it is, what it is for, when is a good time to use it and if maybe it has more to do with the device I had hooked up to the TV -a mediocre DVD player.
Old December 25 2008, 08:28 AM   #2
zephramc
Commodore

Re: Questons about my LCD TV

What's the brand and model?
zephramc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2008, 10:24 AM   #3
Sheep
Vice Admiral

IMO the 120Hz function is a gimmick to sell TVs at a premium price, as 120Hz TVs still cost significantly more than those without.

The short, Captain Dummy version of it is exactly what you described--visual processing to make everything look 3D that, at the same time, exposes flaws in the source (effects, makeup, fake stages, etc.) and makes everything look TOO smooth (think film sources looking "live" like video). I've heard some people claim that losing the film quality goes against the director's intent.

I've only seen it hooked up to a Blu-Ray player and while it is initially very striking, I can see it getting old quickly. I don't know how well it works for different types of video (film vs. live, etc.), so maybe it does have a place with some types of shows or movies.
Old December 26 2008, 07:34 PM   #4
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

Sheep wrote: View Post
IMO the 120Hz function is a gimmick to sell TVs at a premium price, as 120Hz TVs still cost significantly more than those without.

The short, Captain Dummy version of it is exactly what you described--visual processing to make everything look 3D that, at the same time, exposes flaws in the source (effects, makeup, fake stages, etc.) and makes everything look TOO smooth (think film sources looking "live" like video). I've heard some people claim that losing the film quality goes against the director's intent.

I've only seen it hooked up to a Blu-Ray player and while it is initially very striking, I can see it getting old quickly. I don't know how well it works for different types of video (film vs. live, etc.), so maybe it does have a place with some types of shows or movies.
This effect isn't the 120Hz from what I understand but rather an "anti-judder" processing feature. If this is a Sony product, there should be a function to switch this feature off as well.

For my $0.02, I don't like this effect either.
Old December 27 2008, 12:23 AM   #5
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

hamudm wrote: View Post
This effect isn't the 120Hz from what I understand but rather an "anti-judder" processing feature. If this is a Sony product, there should be a function to switch this feature off as well.
That's correct. 120Hz is always a good thing, though it's impact is debatable... it lets you go from 24fps movies to an LCD display much more gracefully then you can with 60Hz. The motion thing is something else entirely. Some people do like it; I can't stand it so I have it turned off on my TV.
Old December 27 2008, 02:36 AM   #6
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I noticed a more 3-D look on my Futurama DVD's, and that's playing them with an upconverting DVD player on my LCD Samsung (w/120Hz).
As far as I ever knew, the higher "refresh rate" helps reduce the motion-blur that all these flat screens have. I know that's more of a computer monitor term, but accurate.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Sheep
Vice Admiral

hamudm wrote: View Post
Sheep wrote: View Post

For my $0.02, I don't like this effect either.
Interesting and good to know. It seems like everywhere I've read about the anti-judder feature has been in the context of 120Hz televisions, so I got the two confused.