RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 653
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old December 19 2008, 12:40 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Quinto, Abrams, Saldana On 'Star Trek XI'

"Awesome," "mind-blowing" and "humbling" are just some of the terms used by some of the actors as well as J.J. Abrams in describing the work on Star Trek XI.

As seen on YouTube, two of the Star Trek XI actors as well as Abrams spoke with TV Guide regarding working on the latest Star Trek movie. "It's kind of mind-blowing for me," said Zachary Quinto. ""I'm really fortunate to have Leonard Nimoy really, really involved and really supportive and so you can't really get much more direct than that source."

Abrams explained again his target audience. ""It is made for people who may know the series," he said, "but it's really made for future fans of 'Star Trek,' not existing ones." Abrams went on to praise actress Zoe Saldana, Star Trek XI's Uhura. "She's awesome in the movie," said Abrams. "She's fantastic. She's always a genius."

Saldana was amazed when she saw some of the finished project, finding it very different with the special effects added into the film. ""I was blown away with the trailer," she explained. "Because we shot green screen like half of the time. And to see these buildings and to see space and stuff, it's pretty cool."

Old December 20 2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Entcv65
Ensign

Re: Quinto, Abrams, Saldana On 'Star Trek XI'

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Abrams explained again his target audience. ""It is made for people who may know the series," he said, "but it's really made for future fans of 'Star Trek,' not existing ones."

Up until this point I have been neutral about the new Star Trek project and was hoping for just a good entertaining Science Fiction movie, but upon reading the comment from Abrams it just really bothers me for some reason. Just who does he think will be the majority of people who are going to see this interpretation of his? He must have a very inflated ego to think that it is not we existing fans who will be the bulk of people paying to see this flick and returning to see it again if it is decent. I would think that the best way Mr Abrams should proceed would be not to disregard the long time fans and just wait until after the premier to start talking about how many new fans he personally created. Unlike old soldiers we existing fans do not just fade away, we raise hell. So for your sake JJ I hope you have made one hell of a movie because if you haven't you will never hear the end of it, just ask Malcolm Mcdowell.

Last edited by Entcv65; December 21 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old December 21 2008, 04:12 AM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

When did Malcolm McDowell direct and produce a Trek movie?
Old December 21 2008, 06:34 AM   #4
Entcv65
Ensign

^ He has not directed but he has starred in one and he was not cool with the negative feedback he received about "Generations" and if I am not mistaken he was pretty vocal in telling the fans who disapproved to get over it.
Old December 21 2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I see Zach is back to his adorable "crazy grits" look.
Just who does he think will be the majority of people who are going to see this interpretation of his?
If the movie's going to be a hit, Abrams better hope that they are "future fans," who have never heard of DS9, VOY or ENT, and barely TNG. There just aren't enough of us to fund a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster, not even close.

Unlike old soldiers we existing fans do not just fade away, we raise hell.
Whatcha gonna do, burn down the theaters? Face it, what counts here is the money and unless all us 'true fans' want to send Abrams about ten thousand dollars apiece, we don't have the numbers to make a financial difference.
Old December 22 2008, 08:26 AM   #6
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Entcv65 wrote: View Post
^ He has not directed but he has starred in one and he was not cool with the negative feedback he received about "Generations" and if I am not mistaken he was pretty vocal in telling the fans who disapproved to get over it.
If the negative feedback included some of the harassment he was supposed to have received for being the "guy who killed Captain Kirk", then I can't say I blame him at all for not being cool with it. He was an actor playing a part, and anyone presuming to take him to task for what the character did was/is barking up the wrong tree and way out of line on more than one front.
Old December 22 2008, 02:07 PM   #7
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

Just who does he think will be the majority of people who are going to see this interpretation of his? He must have a very inflated ego to think that it is not we existing fans who will be the bulk of people paying to see this flick...
He's absoloutely correct an all counts. And if we're the bulk of people who
see this movie we and Star Trek are screwed. J.J. Abrams was correct in
making this film to appeal to non Trek fans. Not only can Trek fans not be
relied on to put out an effort towards it, but there just isn't enough of us
for those efforts to really matter.

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
If the negative feedback included some of the harassment he was supposed to have received for being the "guy who killed Captain Kirk", then I can't say I blame him at all for not being cool with it. He was an actor playing a part, and anyone presuming to take him to task for what the character did was/is barking up the wrong tree and way out of line on more than one front.
And he would have been right in telling them to get over it regardless of
the situation. Fans really need to do just that.
Old December 22 2008, 10:52 PM   #8
WeAreTheBorg
Vice Admiral

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Abrams explained again his target audience. ""It is made for people who may know the series," he said, "but it's really made for future fans of 'Star Trek,' not existing ones."

Up until this point I have been neutral about the new Star Trek project and was hoping for just a good entertaining Science Fiction movie, but upon reading the comment from Abrams it just really bothers me for some reason. Just who does he think will be the majority of people who are going to see this interpretation of his? He must have a very inflated ego to think that it is not we existing fans who will be the bulk of people paying to see this flick and returning to see it again if it is decent. I would think that the best way Mr Abrams should proceed would be not to disregard the long time fans and just wait until after the premier to start talking about how many new fans he personally created. Unlike old soldiers we existing fans do not just fade away, we raise hell. So for your sake JJ I hope you have made one hell of a movie because if you haven't you will never hear the end of it, just ask Malcolm Mcdowell.
You need to get over it. Abrams is saying this so people will go see it. Non trek fans will not go if they think its designed for Trekkies. If you want a movie designed for Trekkies, then you want Trek to fail. Because it will if it doesnt bring in a vast new audience.

Get over it.