RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 465
Newest member: 713brianp27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 18 2008, 12:05 PM   #16
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Extras

During college I worked at the Gap. We were a big Gap, but one not in a mall so we didn't have any heavy foot traffic so it was pretty common for TV people shooting in the area to come in all the time for wardrobe stuff.

Being in North Jersey, 2 big shows that filmed locally were "Ed" and "The Sopranos"
The guys from Ed used to come in mid morning on weekdays and do their thing, so I would end up talking to them a lot. One time we got to talking and I brought up how I lived right down the street from the common street they used to shoot on and I walk down on Sunday mornings and watch them film. So they told me to I should always come down even earlier and talk to them on scene when they were preparing the shoot, saying they could always use some extra people around.

I don't know if I was ever on screen shown walking in the background though.

The Sopranos thing was a different story, since I refused to watch the show, I have no idea if I was ever seen.

I was also in a ton of Sports Illustrated for Kids commercials when I was in grammer school. They loved the look of our field and our uniforms so they came all the time during our soccer practices to shoot their commercials. I have them all on tapes somewhere around here, but it's been so long.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 12:35 PM   #17
Super Grover
Vice Admiral

My Grandparents got to be in the background of a locally produced commercial for a country club. We were there because I had a golf lesson, and they were waiting in the clubhouse. The guy making the spot asked if they wanted to be in the commercial, and they would get a free dinner. I would see that spot running every once in a while, and always look for them.
Bobby "Oh, you mean like Chlamydia?"
Super Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 01:21 PM   #18
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

I've done it a couple of times but only once in the past few years.

I'm told I should be proud of being in Phoo Action since it bizarrely won a Scottish BAFTA for best drama. I was initially hired in to do some fight scenes as, and this is the 2nd AD's words; they needed 'fat guys who can fight'.

Odd thing was we had a big stunt director who was filled with great ideas for the main fight sequence and we had to teach him basic wrestling reversals.

And this was the result;
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PynYTdCxU4g

And watching that back, I noticed I'm in it twice as I got an extra day as a photographer... and they called me back to be an evil overlord type. 12 hours minimum per day away from my daughter though, so I never did it again.

There was also a very nice documentary where I gave a very passionate interview but the bastard funding fell though and my genius was lost forever
Old December 19 2008, 12:05 AM   #19
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

ScottDS wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
ScottDS wrote: View Post
I got about $100 for playing a strip club patron and all I did was sit around.
And watch the actresses being strippers.

You got PAID to watch strippers.

You bastard.
That was shot at a real strip club off of Olympic or Pico or something. They used real strippers but they were clothed (barely). The 2nd assistant director (in charge of extras) actually had to warn some of the guys not to talk to the strippers or ask them questions like "When's your next shift?" I actually got to sit at the main stage and fling fake money to one girl in six-inch heels!
My kind of hard work.

jamestyler wrote: View Post
I'm told I should be proud of being in Phoo Action since it bizarrely won a Scottish BAFTA for best drama. I was initially hired in to do some fight scenes as, and this is the 2nd AD's words; they needed 'fat guys who can fight'.
My kind of entertainment.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote