Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 16 2008, 06:42 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Intimate Fire hose

Here in San Diego, a very interesting case against the city is weaving its way through the courts.

Once a year there is a GAY PRIDE parade here in san diego. Gays gather together, and march down several city blocks in a community that is mostly gay...nothing wrong with that. For the most part it is peaceful.

Since the parade is supported by the city of San Diego, the city makes at leaest one Fire Department attend. Because the firefighters are employed by the city, they must go.

So, the firefighters who up with their fire truck. A local news team is there, of course, to record the happenings of the parade. And then the strange things happen. Several of the gay marchers simulate oral sex in front of the firetruck, and also harass the firefighters with very lewd remarks. One of the marchers exposes his erect member and simulates having sex with another marcher, taunting the firefighters to have to watch. It is clear from the actions of several of the firefighters they are offended. I would have been offended too..

The fire fighters are sewing the city for half a million dollars. I hope they win their suit. It was blatant sexual harassment, on the job. The acts of these marchers happen every year at this parade, this is nothing new. I don't think the city should be able to force employees to attend such functions.

Oh..the fire fighters will be respresented by...the ACLU!! Imagine that...

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Re: Intimate Fire hose

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Here in San Diego, a very interesting case against the city is weaving its way through the courts.

Once a year there is a GAY PRIDE parade here in san diego. Gays gather together, and march down several city blocks in a community that is mostly gay...nothing wrong with that. For the most part it is peaceful.

Since the parade is supported by the city of San Diego, the city makes at leaest one Fire Department attend. Because the firefighters are employed by the city, they must go.

So, the firefighters who up with their fire truck. A local news team is there, of course, to record the happenings of the parade. And then the strange things happen. Several of the gay marchers simulate oral sex in front of the firetruck, and also harass the firefighters with very lewd remarks. One of the marchers exposes his erect member and simulates having sex with another marcher, taunting the firefighters to have to watch. It is clear from the actions of several of the firefighters they are offended. I would have been offended too..

The fire fighters are sewing the city for half a million dollars. I hope they win their suit. It was blatant sexual harassment, on the job. The acts of these marchers happen every year at this parade, this is nothing new. I don't think the city should be able to force employees to attend such functions.

Rob
Scorpio
Got a link? This is very interesting...
Old December 16 2008, 06:45 PM   #3
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Santa Romeo wrote: View Post

Rob
Scorpio
Got a link? This is very interesting...
Its an on going news item here in san diego. Has been going on since the last parade which I think was in october or so. Just check GOOGLE news and I'm sure you'll find it. It is interesting. And could only happen in california!!

Rob
Old December 16 2008, 06:47 PM   #4
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I am very against forcing public employees to cooperate with any kind of private demonstration.

The fire department shouldn't be forced into a Gay Pride parade anymore than they should be forced into a Christmas Pageant.
Old December 16 2008, 06:51 PM   #5
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
I am very against forcing public employees to cooperate with any kind of private demonstration.

The fire department shouldn't be forced into a Gay Pride parade anymore than they should be forced into a Christmas Pageant.
Yep..I totally agree. The lawsuit pits the City (me in essense) against the Firefighters. So, if the city loses, I lose because they, the fire fighters, will get paid out of the coffers for having to do something they shouldn't have had to do..

The local Gay/Lesbien groups are alligned with the city. They are saying that the incident was isolated and that if the fire fighters weren't forced to come to a city 'sanctioned' event, they wouldn't come.

Its a big mess.

Rob
Old December 16 2008, 06:59 PM   #6
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

I think that gay pride events should be treated with the same standards as other public events . . . namely enforcement of public exposure/indecency regulations
Old December 16 2008, 07:04 PM   #7
RobertScorpio
Pariah

backstept wrote: View Post
I think that gay pride events should be treated with the same standards as other public events . . . namely enforcement of public exposure/indecency regulations
But they aren't. These kinds of events happen every year at that parade. And they happen at other parades too, so it just isn't the Gay Pride parade...but to force someone who works for the city to attend? I think that is going a bit too far. IMO..

Rob
Old December 16 2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Jadzia
on holiday

The fire fighters must do whatever the fire chief tells them too. And whether or not they should be there is between them and their chief -- not the city.

If the chief gets a call to send the truck out to the parade, then it's up to the chief to interpret the role of the service, whether or not it is appropriate, whether or not to send out the truck.

So IMO, the claim is harrassed firemen vs those behaving inappropriately. It isn't against the city.
Old December 16 2008, 07:06 PM   #9
Sledder
Fleet Captain

Exactly, why shouldn't those rules apply?
Sledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 07:08 PM   #10
MarianLH
Fleet Captain

the city makes at least one Fire Department attend.

That was a pretty stupid move on someone's part.

Can't argue with that.

Marian

Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
--Jim McCarthy.
MarianLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 07:08 PM   #11
cultcross
Say my name...

Half a million dollars? In good legislative tradition, they are suing for an amount ludicrously disproportionate to any actual loss or damage suffered.
Old December 16 2008, 07:36 PM   #12
Markas
Captain

In San Francisco, they offer the job to gay firefighters, who volunteer for the job. It seems like an easier option.
Old December 16 2008, 07:38 PM   #13
Goliath
Vice Admiral

What Would Santa Do? wrote: View Post
In San Francisco, they offer the job to gay firefighters, who volunteer for the job. It seems like an easier option.
It also seems like a more sensible option.

It being a gay pride parade, and all.
Old December 16 2008, 08:44 PM   #14
RobertScorpio
Pariah

One would think..but we are talking about city government...not much common sense there, IMO..

Rob
scorpio
Old December 16 2008, 08:51 PM   #15
Hermiod
Admiral

St. Nicked wrote: View Post
Half a million dollars? In good legislative tradition, they are suing for an amount ludicrously disproportionate to any actual loss or damage suffered.
This is America we're talking about.

You stepped on my toe ? I'm suing you for ONE TRILLION DOLLARS!!!!
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote