Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 26 2008, 11:08 PM   #1
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile
Anyone interested in doing a TOS novel "club"?

I'm interested in rereading a bunch of novels I enjoyed, and a few I didn't read as a kid (Yesterday's Son, the early Rihannsu books, Dwellers in the Crucible, Killing Time, etc.) as well as a number of other, older TOS-era novels I have recently picked up but never read (Prime Directive, The Rift, Doctor's Orders, Vulcan's Glory, Memory Prime, etc.).

I'm still pretty new to TrekBBS, so I dunno if this kind of thing is appropriate or has already been done, but, um... anyone want to read any with me? Or, more likely, re-read for most of you?

I just started Prime Directive last night and am loving it so far. So, how about this for a proposal — we read a novel around every two weeks (meaning, December 12th to finish Prime Directive), and then we discuss? Would that make sense/be fun for anyone?

I'm perfectly able to admit that this may be a dumb idea, but what the hell, it could also be fun. Opinions?
Old November 26 2008, 11:30 PM   #2
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Anyone interested in doing a TOS novel "club"?

Could be fun ... Just have to keep in mind that while some people can read a book in an hour, it may take others a month for the same book. You've already taken that into consideration, so that's good. Good luck!
Old November 27 2008, 01:16 AM   #3
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

Well, now that Csalem's got The Rings of Tautee, we can finally start that one.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 02:34 AM   #4
casey
Lieutenant Commander

I always thought it would be fun to do something like this in real life, but I know exactly 0 other people that like Star Trek.

So I would be game for something like this. I haven't read any of the early TOS books, so I think it would be fun.
Old November 27 2008, 02:59 AM   #5
tranya
Commander

Awesome! So, is Prime Directive okay for the first one? I just started it last night, so I'd be down with doing this one first.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/me...eHardcover.jpg

That's the edition I've got, but various editions should be easy enough to find at used bookstores (I can't seem to find out if it's still in print, but there are at least 200+ used copies for sale via Amazon, plus other sites like abebooks.com, etc. -- plus, presumably eBooks).

Last edited by Rosalind; November 27 2008 at 05:12 AM. Reason: hotlink
tranya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 03:19 AM   #6
casey
Lieutenant Commander

That will be good. I have heard that Prime Directive is a great book and have wanted to read it.
I checked and my local used bookstore has it for $3.

I will go pick it up on Friday.
Old November 27 2008, 05:14 AM   #7
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

tranya wrote: View Post
Awesome! So, is Prime Directive okay for the first one? I just started it last night, so I'd be down with doing this one first.

That's the edition I've got, but various editions should be easy enough to find at used bookstores (I can't seem to find out if it's still in print, but there are at least 200+ used copies for sale via Amazon, plus other sites like abebooks.com, etc. -- plus, presumably eBooks).
tranya, hotlink to images is strictly forbidden on the BBS (unless you're the owner of Memory Alpha, you can't directly link image to there). Please don't do it again.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 07:05 AM   #8
ireactions
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd be up for this.

- Ibrahim Ng
ireactions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 03:26 PM   #9
tranya
Commander

Rosalind wrote: View Post

tranya, hotlink to images is strictly forbidden on the BBS (unless you're the owner of Memory Alpha, you can't directly link image to there). Please don't do it again.
Sorry, I'm still new and was unaware of the policy. Apologies.

Last edited by tranya; November 27 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old November 27 2008, 03:55 PM   #10
bennyrex
Lieutenant

Count me in too.
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 09:37 PM   #11
quazar
Captain

I'd definately be down for this. I will dig out my old copy of Prime Directive and start re-reading it now that I have finished the amazing Destiny trilogy. 'Best Destiny' or 'The Lost Years' would be an awesome followup to PD.
quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 09:41 PM   #12
tranya
Commander

Yeehaw, that's great! I'm going to finish reading it by the end of next week, and then by the 10th-12th, I'll start a thread for discussing it. Sound good? Looking forward to this!

Oh, and I think either Best Destiny or Lost Years would be fine to do next -- I own Lost Years and my local thrift store has a hardback of Best Destiny I've been thinking about picking up anyway. I only ever read one or two Diane Carey books when I was a kid (Dreadnought! and something else which had an exclamation point in the title). I wasn't too impressed, and remember some clear Marysueage going on in one of the books; but, that said, I'd be happy to give Best Destiny a shot, too -- I'm curious about the juvie delinquent Kirk portrayed in the book.

Last edited by tranya; November 29 2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: avoiding the double-post
Old November 30 2008, 04:41 AM   #13
casey
Lieutenant Commander

I picked this up today. Depending on how busy the week ends up being I should be able to get through it by the end. I am also trying to read Wounds in the meantime.

I picked up Best Destiny today just in case. I couldn't find Lost Years but I will try another store.

Off topic, but I also picked up three of the first trek books I ever read: Q Squared, Vendetta, and Devil's Heart. I am kind of excited to revisit those books, since they (particularly Q Squared) are the ones that turned me on to trek lit in the first place.
Old November 30 2008, 05:01 AM   #14
tranya
Commander

Awesome, casey. You and I were getting into TNG novels right around the same time -- that was my last few years of college, and after about 6-7 years of not reading any Trek fiction (I read a ton in my early teen years), I went crazy reading a lot of PAD books. Still fondly remember Vendetta and Q-In-Law. I vaguely recall Devil's Heart... is that the one about the Iconians?
Old November 30 2008, 05:22 AM   #15
casey
Lieutenant Commander

Awesome, casey. You and I were getting into TNG novels right around the same time -- that was my last few years of college, and after about 6-7 years of not reading any Trek fiction (I read a ton in my early teen years), I went crazy reading a lot of PAD books. Still fondly remember Vendetta and Q-In-Law. I vaguely recall Devil's Heart... is that the one about the Iconians?
Yes, I believe Devil's Heart involves the Iconians. I don't remember much about the book at all, but I think the stone was Iconian technology. And that is about all I remember.

It was really Q Squared that got me in the Trek to begin with. I had watched it with my dad as a child, but he wasn't really a fan, so I didn't watch it all that much.
Then a friend in school started talking to me about it and she gave me Q Squared, and I was hooked. I started devouring anything PAD I could find. And the rest is history.

I think it will be really interested to go back and read Q Squared since the first time around I wasn't terribly familiar with the characters and back stories. I am sure I will get alot more out of the book this time.