Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 16 2008, 11:53 PM   #16
TGTheodore
Writer

Re: New Catwoman?

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
TG Theornament wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Um, wouldn't they need a script before they start working on a cast?
No. When assembling a "package" movie, you frequently get the basic idea, the director and the stars lined up and THEN commission a script.

--Ted
Not with this series.
Was answering the question in general as that's how it was presented. But I completely agree with your entire post regarding the current Batman series.

--Ted
Old December 17 2008, 01:12 AM   #17
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

No. When assembling a "package" movie, you frequently get the basic idea, the director and the stars lined up and THEN commission a script.

--Ted
Purely out of curiosity, can anyone name a few movies that were developed in this way?
Old December 17 2008, 01:25 AM   #18
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Why? Didn't stop them last time.
Old December 17 2008, 01:34 AM   #19
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
As Jackson Archer noted above, no new roles for The Dark Knight were cast until after a script draft had been produced.
Old December 17 2008, 01:38 AM   #20
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
As Jackson Archer noted above, no new roles for The Dark Knight were cast until after a script draft had been produced.
I was making a joke, about how the last "Catwoman" movie didn't have a script (or a director, or a point, but I digress) not realizing the thread was talking about a TDK sequel feature CW.

Old December 17 2008, 01:43 AM   #21
Dark Gilligan
Writer

--Ted
Purely out of curiosity, can anyone name a few movies that were developed in this way?
Casablanca is the most famous example. The script was being written literally while filming was well under way, one scene at a time. No one knew how the story was going to end until the last page was shot. It's amazing how well the story holds together, as there was virtually no "story" at all to begin with.
Old December 18 2008, 05:05 PM   #22
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

I'm sorry, but that's not at all true. Casablanca was based on the play 'Everybody Comes to Rick's' by Murrary Bennett and Joan Alison, which was a rather somber political piece. It was being furiously adapted on set to turn it into a Hollywood romance/ drama, and to punch up the dialog. While it's true no one knew if Ilsa would end up with Rick or Lazlo until they shot that scene, that's because no one was sure if they'd go with the play's ending (which they did - and which they were afraid would be a downer), or if they'd create a "happy ending" for the star-crossed couple.

I've been asking around - so far the only movie anyone's come up with that began with just a star and a concept is Top Gun. So it happens, but I think it's relatively rare.
Old December 18 2008, 05:13 PM   #23
T'Baio
Admiral

The Badger wrote: View Post
Although Warner are not saying anything yet, rumours are going round that actress Rachel Weisz may portray Catwoman in the next Batman film.

http://io9.com/5111080/rachel-weisz-...ust-passed-out
God, why do you people believe this shit?
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 05:30 PM   #24
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

I love Rachel as an actress, but upon thinking it over I don't know if she would be the right pick for Catwoman. She looks a lot like Kaite and Maggie. Her as Selina Kyle would no doubt remind Bruce Wayne of Rachel. Then again, that could be the idea.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 09:05 PM   #25
FordSVT
Vice Admiral

I'd pay to watch Rachel Weisz recite words from a dictionary. She's absolutely beautiful.

This rumour is doubtful though, probably just hype-building or her agents at work.
Old December 19 2008, 12:16 AM   #26
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Michelle Pfieffer.

Still looks amazing and more than capable of reprising the role.
Old December 19 2008, 03:01 AM   #27
nx1701g
Admiral

I have to say that I think they should go with Ashley Scott for the role. She played the daughter of Batman and Catwoman on Birds of Prey. I think she could be a good choice.
Old December 19 2008, 07:12 AM   #28
Reverend
Rear Admiral

FordSVT wrote: View Post
I'd pay to watch Rachel Weisz recite words from a dictionary. She's absolutely beautiful.

This rumour is doubtful though, probably just hype-building or her agents at work.
Selina needs to be more than just a pretty face, she needs to be dangerous and playful and I don't think Weisz has that in her, at least not in any of the roles I've seen her in.
Personally, my first choices would have been either Salma Hayek or Rosario Dawson. As for Halley Berry; although I never bothered watching that Catwoman film (trailer made it look crap) I think given the right film she could do the character justice. I'm just waiting for an X-Men Origins: Storm movie to be announced, anyone else notice here character in the Wolverine trailer?
Regardless, anything you hear about anything Batman related in the next six months or so is most likely going to be either completely fabricated or pie in the sky. I'm sure that as soon as DK started breaking records, hundreds of script writers began tapping out screenplays and treatments by the ton for any property even remotely associated with the Batman franchise.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 07:18 AM   #29
Aragorn
Admiral

If the character is successful in the next movie, they're going to give her a spinoff:

Batman Begins Origins: The First Catwoman
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 07:01 PM   #30
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
FordSVT wrote: View Post

Selina needs to be more than just a pretty face, she needs to be dangerous and playful and I don't think Weisz has that in her, at least not in any of the roles I've seen her in.
Personally, my first choices would have been either Salma Hayek or Rosario Dawson.
Dawson's the first name I've seen mentioned that I would get excited about. Most guys are just naming whoever they'd like to see in the catsuit. But Rosario Dawson would give the character a turn worth seeing. Though I'm fairly against the idea of Catwoman in the next film at all.