Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 10 47.62%
Above average 5 23.81%
Average 3 14.29%
Below average 2 9.52%
Poor 1 4.76%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27 2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

FlashForward: "Future Shock" 5/27/10 - SERIES FINALE

Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 10:47 PM   #2
Borgminister

Re: FlashForward: "Future Shock" 5/27/10 - SERIES FINALE

Sad to see this show go...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Procutus
Admiral

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Sad to see this show go...

I'm with you, Borgminister. I've grown to like this show a lot, and I wish we'd get a proper ending, and it's apparent we won't.

That said, I'll be here tonight watching and commenting.
Old May 27 2010, 11:46 PM   #4
DeadmeatDiggory
Commander

You know, looking back, it's hard to believe that I was excited as I was for this show. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the show for the most part, but in the coming years I know that I'm going to look back and paint the show with the same brush as Heroes: a show that took itself way too seriously and was locked into a single premise that they couldn't move beyond.

I am going to miss seeing Sonya Walger on my TV though. Two of her show canned in the space of a week, harsh.

That said, bring on the finale.
Old May 28 2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Aragorn
Admiral

I'm going to say it didn't take itself seriously enough, with all the stupid subplots, dead ends that only served to waste an episode (Nazi prisoner, for example) love stories completely unrelated to the main threat. Nothing was wrong with this single premise, but the showrunners themselves locked themselves into a singular idea they couldn't move beyond.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 12:24 AM   #6
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I'm interested to see how this is going to play out. Don't worry though... ABC will probably reboot it for 2012 anyway!
Old May 28 2010, 12:30 AM   #7
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I'm going to say it didn't take itself seriously enough, with all the stupid subplots, dead ends that only served to waste an episode (Nazi prisoner, for example) love stories completely unrelated to the main threat. Nothing was wrong with this single premise, but the showrunners themselves locked themselves into a singular idea they couldn't move beyond.

I liked the show, but I have to say that the premise really WASN'T enough for a continuing series. A single-season maybe, a mini-series most probably but NOT a continuing show.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 12:52 AM   #8
Christopher
Writer

^I think sometimes we're limited by the modern assumption that a show has to have a big unifying arc. This could've worked well as the kind of show they made in the '70s, where the basic premise was often just a loose framework for what was essentially an anthology series. Think about it. Everyone on the planet had a flashforward. That's countless different stories about how people's lives were affected by what they saw of their futures. Maybe instead of trying to run a bunch of those stories in parallel alongside this big conspiracy arc, and ending up with a rather cluttered and cursory result, they could've devoted each week to a different character story revolving around a set of guest stars, with the regular characters' search for answers being just a vehicle for bringing them into contact with those guest stars (cf. The Fugitive, The Invaders, The Incredible Hulk). Of course, the flashforwards would probably have to have been years in the future like in the original novel rather than just six months ahead, so that the heroes' investigation could be open-ended and never really lead anywhere. (But still give the appearance of advancing, like how The Invaders showed "architect David Vincent" gradually learning new things about the alien infiltrators without really varying from the crisis-of-the-week format.)

True, such an approach seems superficial when looked at as an overall narrative, and today's audiences probably wouldn't be satisfied with that. But in the '60s or '70s, the emphasis was more on the individual stories -- an anthology-like approach, as I said. And while I'm not seriously suggesting that FlashForward should've been done this way in 2010, it does seem to me that there was a lot of potential for telling individual character stories about the many ways people's lives could be affected by seeing the future, potential that was too often squandered by excessive focus on the various conspiracies and mysteries. It's a valid argument that shows in the '60s and '70s had too little arc, but I often think that modern shows err too far in the other direction.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 12:53 AM   #9
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm going to look back and paint the show with the same brush as Heroes: a show that took itself way too seriously and was locked into a single premise that they couldn't move beyond.
Heroes is much less excusable. FlashForward had a tricky premise that would be tough for anyone to pull off. Heroes should have been a slam-dunk. I can't think of any way to really guarantee that FlashForward could be an artistic and probably ratings success, but I could write a book on the subject in regards to Heroes, and probably have done the equivalent, right here.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2010, 01:00 AM   #10
Procutus
Admiral

Well, here we go, folks.
Old May 28 2010, 01:03 AM   #11
Procutus
Admiral

Mark looks like hell.
Old May 28 2010, 01:05 AM   #12