Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 18 2008, 06:53 PM   #31
BCI
Rear Admiral

Re: I've Got This Overwhelming Urge...

While you say goodbye to it the British Navy just has just equipped twelve nuclear submarines with Windows. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me...

Last edited by BCI; December 18 2008 at 07:14 PM.
BCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 11:12 PM   #32
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

BCI wrote: View Post
While you say goodbye to it the British Navy just has just equipped twelve nuclear submarines with Windows. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me...
Pixar uses Macs, and that's good enough for me.

I ordered my Mac today. Had to get a different one but it's better.

Apple iMac Intel Core Duo 1.83 Ghz
1 Gb RAM
160 GB HD
DVD Superdrive
17" Monitor (built in)
OSX Leopard

I got it brand new for $600!

I can't wait!

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 11:18 PM   #33
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Good deal for that price. If the RAM turns out to be an issue, you should be able to buy more and install it yourself. Some models make that easier than others, though.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 11:24 PM   #34
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Lindley wrote: View Post
Good deal for that price. If the RAM turns out to be an issue, you should be able to buy more and install it yourself. Some models make that easier than others, though.
Yep. RAM will be a snap to install. Literally!

The Intel Macs have the easiest access of any Mac. I also found 2 GB of DDR667 3200 (Mac) for $29, so I'm all set!

J.
Old December 18 2008, 11:31 PM   #35
BCI
Rear Admiral

Actually the render farms are using Linux... I'm in favor of different systems. And there are good things to be said about OSX - that it is not installed on my PC, for example. But there are rumors in that in the future, Apple will release it for every computer. Another real downside is how annoying and complicated it is to share files between Mac and Windows on a network. I couldn't make it work.
Old December 18 2008, 11:34 PM   #36
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I haven't had much chance to fool around with the Windows Sharing option in OSX, but with an entire section of a control panel devoted to it, I can't imagine it being *that* hard.

I doubt Apple will open OSX to all machines. They're a hardware company first, and the business model would have to change dramatically to make that practical.
Old December 18 2008, 11:41 PM   #37
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

When I get my Mac, I'll let you know, since my network has a Win PC on it.

J.
Old December 22 2008, 06:29 PM   #38
BCI
Rear Admiral

Hi John, have your Mac already? I'd like to know whether you made it work...
Old December 22 2008, 07:26 PM   #39
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Hi John, have your Mac already? I'd like to know whether you made it work...
I've got 7 more days until it gets here. If I knew it was coming from Washington state I'd have sprung for the extra cash to get it here by air instead of ground.

J.
Old December 22 2008, 07:50 PM   #40
richpit
Commander

View richpit's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to richpit Send a message via Yahoo to richpit

I've tried, over the last few months, to exclusively use a Mac laptop that I got from work. There are some things I like about it, but many more that I don't. We all have things we don't like about Windows / Micro$oft, but I say Windows (XP) is the way to go.

Keep in mind that Boot Camp is a deal where you need to reboot the machine to switch between operating systems. If you want to pay for the ability to switch between on the fly, you'll have to buy something like Parallels or VMWare Fusion.
Old December 23 2008, 01:23 AM   #41
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

richpit wrote: View Post
I've tried, over the last few months, to exclusively use a Mac laptop that I got from work. There are some things I like about it, but many more that I don't. We all have things we don't like about Windows / Micro$oft, but I say Windows (XP) is the way to go.

Keep in mind that Boot Camp is a deal where you need to reboot the machine to switch between operating systems. If you want to pay for the ability to switch between on the fly, you'll have to buy something like Parallels or VMWare Fusion.
After using Microsoft products all my life, I'm ready for something better. I'm hoping that Mac OS X is that "better". As for Boot Camp, yep, I have my XP SP2 disk here if I need to install it, which I might to run some of my older Trek games, otherwise, I'm going to be happy with OS X. Why didn't I choose 3 day mail!? Oh yeah, because it was $20 more.

J.
Old December 28 2008, 02:56 PM   #42
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Speaking of.....
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20081228
Old December 28 2008, 03:01 PM   #43
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

richpit wrote: View Post
There are some things I like about it, but many more that I don't.
Anything that an experienced user can help out with? EG, is it related to problems finding how to do stuff?

Also note that any such "side-by-side" environment will be running one of the systems (in this case Windows) inside a virtual machine. It may be a thin layer in this case since the underlying hardware supports the OS, but it will still represent a performance hit over using the reboot-into-Windows approach.
Old December 29 2008, 09:00 PM   #44
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

I'm posting this from my iMac.
It is a fantastic machine.

J.
Old December 30 2008, 05:59 AM   #45
Charlie Kelly
Commodore

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm posting this from my iMac.
It is a fantastic machine.

J.
While I'm not a fan of Macs myself I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. One of my favourite things in life is getting a new computer and using it for the first time (which is quite sad when you think about it).

Charlie