Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 17 2008, 12:13 AM   #16
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: I've Got This Overwhelming Urge...

Yep. I don't need a hardcore gaming PC, because I'm switching to a console. I have a nice gaming PC, but PC games are falling out of the mainstream, slowly they lose more market every day, and I'm just not going to keep upgrading my hardware to buy a $300 video card just to compete. Plus, a Mac would let me have that Windows functionality if I needed it, but at any time I could switch over to OSX and enjoy the benefits of that OS. Also, and I think Lindley would find this interesting, but Microsoft will be producing a new OS every 2-3 years from now on, as they considered XP's long service run a fluke. Remember XP SP2? That was going to be a separate XP OS, but Microsoft changed at the last minute. So Windows 7? A year or so away. Windows whatever comes after that? 2 to 3 years. Plus, I can go ahead and get the software that Windows tries so hard to copy anyway: Mac OS.

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 12:14 AM   #17
BCI
Rear Admiral

When the number behind the dot changes, I call that minor. And yes, programs stop to work. For example, Google Earth is smart enough to auto update itself, but not smart enough to realize it wont work after the upgrade. So the system breaks itself, and yes, the fundamental architecture for this comes from Apple.
Old December 17 2008, 12:24 AM   #18
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

BCI wrote: View Post
When the number behind the dot changes, I call that minor.
When the feel of the OS changes notably, that's not minor. 10.5 definitely doesn't feel like 10.4 to me. But call it what you want.

And yes, programs stop to work. For example, Google Earth is smart enough to auto update itself, but not smart enough to realize it wont work after the upgrade. So the system breaks itself, and yes, the fundamental architecture for this comes from Apple.
That sounds like something you should take up with Google. Honestly, though, Google has never really been a Mac-supportive company, although they do put in a token effort at least. The "oops-I-upgraded-too-far" problem has always been an issue, though, and always will be for every system; usually you can go dig up the version that worked somewhere online.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 12:45 AM   #19
BCI
Rear Admiral

I admit, I prefer Windows. It has backwards compatibility, my PC was cheap, and I can upgrade components as I wish. Three things a Mac does not offer.
Old December 17 2008, 12:59 AM   #20
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I admit, I prefer Windows. It has backwards compatibility, my PC was cheap, and I can upgrade components as I wish. Three things a Mac does not offer.
Because of Boot Camp, Macs have multi-compatibility. I can upgrade components as I wish, and this Mac I'm looking at is reasonably priced. I say this as an ardent, hard core Windows user.

J.
Old December 17 2008, 01:26 AM   #21
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

It has backwards compatibility
10.5 eliminated Classic support; little choice in the matter, keeping it would have required emulation within emulation, not pretty. But I still occasionally play Lemmings or Prince of Persia 2 on my TiBook G4 running 10.4, and 10.5 supports 98% of all OSX-era programs.

, my PC was cheap,
Refurb Macs can be inexpensive, as this thread shows. If you want a new one you'll have to shell out, though.

and I can upgrade components as I wish.
The biggest challenge to upgrading the components in a Mac is getting into the case. For some models this is very difficult; for others it's easy. The towers just open right up without even a screwdriver. (Or they did----haven't used one in a while.)

Finding new components for them is slightly harder than for a PC, simply due to limited availability, but they're out there. And installation isn't particularly different once you have the box open. A few years back I upgraded the CPU on an old G3 Blue&White tower from 400MHz to 900Mhz. (That was a bigger change then than it would be now.) It was fairly simple. That was the same machine, incidentally, that I stuck a Voodoo2 card in years ago even though the box claimed it was Windows-only, and it worked fine once I downloaded the Mac drivers from 3Dfx's website.
Old December 17 2008, 06:45 AM   #22
J. Allen
Best Pony™

For me, getting parts has never been a problem, and I usually know my way around a computer, regardless of it's make and model, so if that's all people have to keep me from switching, well I'm afraid it's not good enough.

I'm hoping to sell my PC by this weekend. That would be a nice Christmas present for someone, and much cheaper than what they'd pay for the same rig with these specs on the market, even refurbished.

J.
Old December 17 2008, 10:58 AM   #23
BCI
Rear Admiral

Another issue is that the mouse on a Mac just isn't precise. My dear brothers, who play Quake and Warcraft for endless hours refused to work on a Mac for this very reason. I had to look for some shareware to somewhat emulate the feel of Windows for them to accept it. For me too, it was a real letdown how jumpy it felt (with several different mice).
Old December 17 2008, 11:26 AM   #24
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Another issue is that the mouse on a Mac just isn't precise. My dear brothers, who play Quake and Warcraft for endless hours refused to work on a Mac for this very reason. I had to look for some shareware to somewhat emulate the feel of Windows for them to accept it. For me too, it was a real letdown how jumpy it felt (with several different mice).
Really? When I've used a Mac I've never had a problem with the mouse.

Anyhoo, I just put my PC up on Craigslist and our local paper.
Hopefully someone around here will buy it within the next week or so, maybe as a Christmas present. Once that's done, I'll save up my money for a couple of weeks (I'll browse the web with my PSP), and then get my Mac!

It's actually a little hard for me to believe I took such a jump so quickly, but this is my chance to actually own one, and for me, that would be very nice indeed.

J.
Old December 17 2008, 12:19 PM   #25
BCI
Rear Admiral

The only Mac I'd buy is a Mini. But since I have software that needs Windows I wouldn't switch. Why should I use bootcamp when I already have the original?
Old December 17 2008, 01:13 PM   #26
J. Allen
Best Pony™

The only Mac I'd buy is a Mini. But since I have software that needs Windows I wouldn't switch. Why should I use bootcamp when I already have the original?

True. However, I have always liked Mac (give or take the annoying commercial), but they had always been way outside of my price range. Now, however, they're falling within that price range, and I can finally get one, throw OSX Leopard on it and put my Windows XP OS on there and I'm in like Flynn.

J.
Old December 17 2008, 01:58 PM   #27
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

I've never noticed a significant difference between Mac and Windows mouse tracking. Well, obviously the tracking speed is fully configurable on both, but I mean beyond that.

I play FPSes with a trackpad, actually, so it couldn't be too bad.
Old December 18 2008, 04:37 AM   #28
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Lindley wrote: View Post
I've never noticed a significant difference between Mac and Windows mouse tracking. Well, obviously the tracking speed is fully configurable on both, but I mean beyond that.

I play FPSes with a trackpad, actually, so it couldn't be too bad.
Well, I just sold the PC. Tomorrow I order the Mac.

A question: How important is RAM to a Mac? Is 1 GB enough to smoothly run Leopard?

J.
Old December 18 2008, 04:41 AM   #29
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Probably, but I'd go with 2GB anyway if I were you. Remember, you'll have XP on the machine as well; and if you decide to go with Paralells rather than Boot Camp (slower, but no restart required) for running Windows, they'll be side-by-side. Put any gaming capability on top of that, and 1GB starts to seem a bit thin.

I have a Macbook Pro sitting here running Leopard and not much else; it's claiming about 400Mb of "active" memory and another 200 of "wired", whatever that means.
Old December 18 2008, 05:05 AM   #30
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Ah, okay. Between the 2 I'm looking at, one has a 20" screen but only 1 GB RAM. The other is 17" but has 1.5 GB.

J.