Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 19 2008, 05:16 AM   #31
Ward Fowler
Commodore

Re: Dear Movie Studios, Marketers and DVD Manufacturers;

Yes. You have more consumer rights with analog than you do with digital. It's been an issue for quite a few years. Feel free to look it up.
Old December 19 2008, 05:31 AM   #32
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ward Fowler wrote: View Post
Yes. You have more consumer rights with analog than you do with digital. It's been an issue for quite a few years. Feel free to look it up.
Guess I don't care. I think I know what you're talking about but at the same time I think the idea of "consumer rights" is silly considering the owners of the property on the media has more rights to protect it and if people weren't so keen on stealing and distributing other people's property and work we wouldn't need all of these restrictions.

I can buy a DVD and play it in my player. All that matters to me.
Old December 19 2008, 05:47 AM   #33
Ward Fowler
Commodore

Respectfully, it's not always about thievery. The MPAA fought against the VCR in the '70s saying that it would ruin their business model and cause rampant piracy. It went all the way to the supreme court. Fortunately it was found that consumers do have the right to record media from both tv and radio, and it ended up being a huge boon for the studios that the MPAA was representing because it started the home video market. Not everyone is out to steal. I'd just like for it to be legal (and not prohibited by DRM) for me to move media files between all of my computers and ipod.
Old December 19 2008, 06:00 AM   #34
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Ward Fowler wrote: View Post
Respectfully, it's not always about thievery. The MPAA fought against the VCR in the '70s saying that it would ruin their business model and cause rampant piracy. It went all the way to the supreme court. Fortunately it was found that consumers do have the right to record media from both tv and radio, and it ended up being a huge boon for the studios that the MPAA was representing because it started the home video market. Not everyone is out to steal. I'd just like for it to be legal (and not prohibited by DRM) for me to move media files between all of my computers and ipod.
And I understand that need and want, but the pirates ruined it for everyone. The makers of a property also have a right to protect it. I think there's some extremes in it and some leeway should be given on transfering it between computers/devices, no limits on how many times it can be copied/transfered, etc. but at the end of the day people want to steal. All the studios are trying to do is protect their investment(s) and make sure they get properly compensated for their work.
Old December 19 2008, 06:05 AM   #35
Ward Fowler
Commodore

There will always be pirates. If you can watch it or listen to it, you can record it.. I think the movie and music companies need to adjust their business model just like they did 30 years ago, because they aren't going to be able to stand in the way of technology.
Old December 19 2008, 08:17 AM   #36
nx1701g
Admiral

What's funny is that at my local video store they've had to stop renting DVD's because people are renting them the first day and then use the code to download the film. One of the cashier's told me they have actually had phone calls from the distributors about too many people downloading the film with the pass codes.
Old December 19 2008, 06:14 PM   #37
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Why are video stores including the digital copy disc with the rental? There's no good reason to do so.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 06:31 PM   #38
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Smiley wrote: View Post
Why are video stores including the digital copy disc with the rental? There's no good reason to do so.
The second disc may have special features on it.

So begs the question why they include the passcode card or why the DVD makers aren't making each DVD have a different passcode that can only be used once.
Old December 19 2008, 06:33 PM   #39
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Who needs a digital copy of a movie you have on disc anyway?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 06:42 PM   #40
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

ST-One wrote: View Post
Who needs a digital copy of a movie you have on disc anyway?
Because apparently I can't legally rip a copy of a DVD that I bought to my Ipod. So if I want to follow the law, or if I'm don't have the software/technical know how, then I can have a copy for my portable use.
Old December 19 2008, 06:44 PM   #41
Ward Fowler
Commodore

^Hence the problem with corporations trying to stand in the way of technology. It's shorted-sighted and ultimately a losing battle.
Old December 20 2008, 07:36 AM   #42
nx1701g
Admiral

Scrooge4747 wrote: View Post
Smiley wrote: View Post
The second disc may have special features on it.

So begs the question why they include the passcode card or why the DVD makers aren't making each DVD have a different passcode that can only be used once.
I really don't think that the woman who puts out the new releases (she's in her late sixties I believe) really cares enough to do it. She's a really nice lady though.

They order the DVDs with Special Features typically (it's an older Mom and Pop rental store). Normally if it's a two disk DVD set they get that one. If it comes out and is supposed to be exclusive to another store (i.e. blockbuster) if a customer asks for it they go out and buy copies.
Old December 20 2008, 08:21 PM   #43
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Hell, the digital copy isn't even on the disk. I decided to put the digital copy of the CLONE WARS movie on my computer just to see what it was like. You punch in the security code and the actual movie downloads from the iTunes store!
For those using iTunes, yes, it downloads; I'm not sure of the exact details of how the iTunes authentication works for video, but for music there's no way to ship encrypted files on disc without a complete redesign of iTunes' DRM; the file is encrypted to allow only one account access to it, and having the account information lets you decrypt the file. You can move the movie file to any machine, and as long as you can log in with your iTMS account you can view the movie.

For the Windows Media Player versions, however, those do ship on the disc. The encryption on the media file is the same for all users, while the decryption information is a separate download (a "license file") that you need the account information to get but is locked to your machine instead of the account. You can move the movie file to any machine, but you're reliant on the gods of DRM issuing you a new license file.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2008, 01:06 AM   #44
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'm kinda up in the air on Digital copies. On the one hand, they really need to sell them seperately or as special 'digital copy edition' for those who want them rather than forcing them on everybody
OTOH, it means you can keep the dvd and give your digital copy to a friend and save them $20 (I'm looking at YOU Wall-E).

I somehow suspect the reason the extras on TDK 2-disk sucked so badly was because some studio weasel insisted they needed to include a DC.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2008, 08:42 AM   #45
Mike Farley
Commodore

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I somehow suspect the reason the extras on TDK 2-disk sucked so badly was because some studio weasel insisted they needed to include a DC.
Nah, it's because some studio weasel wants to sell you a super-special 3 disk set in a year or so.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote