Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 2 2009, 02:05 PM   #316
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

I always thought "Diagnosis" looked more like a 70s TV show, which is worse...

xortex wrote: View Post
Why are you producing and doing it yourself instead of selling it to be produced?
Because that requires a buyer.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 05:53 PM   #317
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Dennis wrote: View Post
No, "Tressaurian Intersection" was ambitious and in the end I think we'll have exceeded our goals in some places and doubtless will be judged to have fallen short in some. I certainly would not have wanted to see us settle at the outset for any less than we've attempted, though.

If anything, I don't think my script was ambitious enough, in terms of the drama. The project grew radically during preproduction, and having seen the result of what so many people were able to put on the stage I wish I'd reached a little higher (certainly wish that I'd gone through another draft and done some deep cutting in places). In retrospect I'd certainly have focused a bit more on one or two of the featured actors.

Polaris (Starship Polaris: Phaidros on alternate days, depending on my mood), despite our radio silence, is moving forward remarkably steadily right now. I just got back from a meeting with our lead actor (who's also one of the producers) and our Director of Photography. We're on the verge of casting the remaining two pivotal parts with a couple of folks that I really like, will start set construction in a few weeks and (knock on wood) will settle the arrangements for our soundstage shortly thereafter.

I hope to have specific announcements to update the news blog with before the end of this month. I know I keep saying that.
Dennis,

I just have to say, I've watched TTI, and personally think it is the finest example of ST fanfilm yet... the whole bit with the Tholians, and the way you recreated the Tholian itself... utter perfection.

I don't really feel anything fell short... yes, things were noticeably better in TTI, than in the first Exeter episode, but that's to be expected, even in real TV... I mean, look at TNG's first season, compared to its third and fourth.

Keep being ambitious! I love Exeter, and you guys (or you) are doing things totally the right way. I don't mind waiting for new episodes, or parts of episodes, if the quality is high, because I'd rather have quality and substance over something rushed any day.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 06:13 PM   #318
HarryM
Fleet Captain

I think it's excellent also, great job. Hope to see more (when it is finished... )

I also love the use of the old Trek riff as the theme song, brilliant.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2009, 07:39 PM   #319
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Thanks, guys.

On the Polaris front, our initial stage space seems to be a little shaky and I'm spending the holiday weekend looking at "plan B" warehouse availability around the DC metro area.
Old September 7 2009, 02:36 AM   #320
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

So, has Act IV of TTI been released yet?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2009, 05:47 PM   #321
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
So, has Act IV of TTI been released yet?
No, we are not there yet!

As awesome as the group producing Exeter is, a they are fans, not pros, and they have to deal with oh... making a living... beside their work.

I understand your confusion. I did not know about BBS when I first discovered fan films... in MAY of THIS YEAR, and I delightedly watched each part of TTI until I tried to download Act IV. I thought I was having a computer problem!

Anyway, my blog will announce it in it's top "News" section very soon AFTER it's actual release (my blog is only in the present, what's available to see RIGHT NOW, TODAY, and does not deal with the future... except to the extent Star Trek stuff deals inherently with the future, of course!). I want Dennis and his Exeter friends to know we are waiting with great interest and gratitude for their past work and looking excitedly for Part IV, but with full knowledge that yes, YOU HAVE A LIFE and WE respect that!

In the meanwhile, Captain April, you are welcome to look and see what fan films, shorts, parodies, you may have missed (or tell me of any I may have missed!) while you wait for the release of ACT IV. That's what I'm doing! (my signature is a link to my collection of fan films on and off the web).

Last edited by Barbreader; September 7 2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: typo
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2009, 07:01 AM   #322
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Shiny.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2009, 06:24 PM   #323
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
No, "Tressaurian Intersection" was ambitious and in the end I think we'll have exceeded our goals in some places and doubtless will be judged to have fallen short in some. I certainly would not have wanted to see us settle at the outset for any less than we've attempted, though.
Dennis,

I just have to say, I've watched TTI, and personally think it is the finest example of ST fanfilm yet... the whole bit with the Tholians, and the way you recreated the Tholian itself... utter perfection.

I don't really feel anything fell short... yes, things were noticeably better in TTI, than in the first Exeter episode, but that's to be expected, even in real TV... I mean, look at TNG's first season, compared to its third and fourth.

Keep being ambitious! I love Exeter, and you guys (or you) are doing things totally the right way. I don't mind waiting for new episodes, or parts of episodes, if the quality is high, because I'd rather have quality and substance over something rushed any day.
I must agree with you! Starship Exeter: TTI is already a truly outstanding episode of Trek!

As many know, I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the final act. I even held off on watching the first three parts until a few months. I totally regret holding off now because of how gripping and how amazing those first three acts were. I am very excited about seeing the conclusion. It feels close. Based on posts by Dennis and others, I'm hoping we'll see it in November.

Now, here's a fascinating new angle. Many of you know that Phase II had planned on releasing Blood and Fire - Part 2 around Labour Day or early September or sometime in September or the fall or .... now the official release date is Nov 20 (I think).

One of things I keep reading is how you can count on Phase II to release an episode when they say they will. And I have found that to be true. Along with this goes the common talk about how they are not like Exeter... they won't keep fans waiting for years. Well, as I said, I'm hoping to see Exeter release TTI: Act 4 is November. Wouldn't it be amazing if after all the hype, all the fan teasing, if Exeter released the finale to TTI before Blood and Fire 2 is released?

I think that would be ironic! Dennis, could we get Jimm to aim for that? I love both productions and want to see both of them but given all the teasing over the years about Exeter's timetable, I think it would be great to see the ending of The Tressaurian Intersection before seeing the ending of Blood and Fire.

Anyone wanna gamble on this horse race?
Old October 8 2009, 10:41 AM   #324
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

All my money is on The Last Dangerous Visions.
Old October 8 2009, 04:23 PM   #325
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

CaptainKen wrote: View Post
I think that would be ironic! Dennis, could we get Jimm to aim for that? ...
Anyone wanna gamble on this horse race?
I don't think that Jimm is even aware of other folks' schedules. He's doing his own thing.

I'm really busy right now with another project, through at least mid-December. I don't think that my contribution to getting Exeter out involves more than another hour of my time, though.
Old October 9 2009, 02:38 PM   #326
CaptainKen
Lieutenant Commander

View CaptainKen's Twitter Profile

Thanks for getting back, Dennis.

Do you think a 2009-release of Act IV is still possible?

It sure would be awesome to finally be done with it, wouldn't it?
Old October 11 2009, 11:18 AM   #327
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I just bought the final issue of Planetary, so I now believe anything is possible.
Old October 15 2009, 11:49 PM   #328
CaptainSerek
Commander

View CaptainSerek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to CaptainSerek Send a message via AIM to CaptainSerek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CaptainSerek Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainSerek

I would not mind seeing the final act before the year is out. One can only cross fingers.
Old October 16 2009, 07:00 PM   #329
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

Speaking from my own experience in post production, it reminds of the old joke: Q. "How do you eat an elephant?" A. "One bite at a time". You keep plugging away and plugging away at what seems like an impossible mound of work and then at some point you realize you can see the finish line. Once that happens you get a lot more motivated to work more quickly. While I gather Jimm is an extreme perfectionist, I'm sure that at some point he will get to where he can smell the finish line and like a great jockey, sort of goes to the whip to get it done.

One thing I am absolutely certain of: when Act IV is released it will be the absolute best that Jimm and company can make it.
Old October 19 2009, 11:43 PM   #330
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
One thing I am absolutely certain of: when Act IV is released it will be the absolute best that Jimm and company can make it.
That you can bank on. The Starship Exeter crew has set an incredibly high bar for themselves, and so far they have delivered in spades. In royal flushes, even!