Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 24 2011, 10:36 PM   #1591
Bixby
Commander

Re: Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Dennis wrote: View Post
Well, Maurice was more specific than "having a secondary character die," he was talking about introducing a love-of-the-week and killing the character off. I entirely agree with him - it's beyond cliches, usually manipulative when it's not just lazy. COTEOF is a notable exception.
You're right. I do tend to take too much of a LAZY approach in my writing...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 01:24 PM   #1592
scifib5st
Commander

Talking with Scott is a good thing, a very good thing!
Sorry, silpped into Twlight Zone episode....
scifib5st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 02:33 PM   #1593
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Bixby wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Well, Maurice was more specific than "having a secondary character die," he was talking about introducing a love-of-the-week and killing the character off. I entirely agree with him - it's beyond cliches, usually manipulative when it's not just lazy. COTEOF is a notable exception.
You're right. I do tend to take too much of a LAZY approach in my writing...
Take it personally if you like, but it was a general comment on cliches in television. It's an opinion offered in response to an opinion stated. I have no opinion about your writing.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; September 26 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 07:09 AM   #1594
Maurice
Vice Admiral

I don't usually address fan interest, but here goes.

Personally, while I'm pleased to hear that there are people interested in seeing the product, their rabid or lack of interest has zero effect on my work. I am working on it because I want to, that's why. And I think that's the best reason: passion to make good work. Hopefully if the finished result makes us happy--and we are much pickier than most fans, I daresay--I think fans will like it too. As Chuck Jones said of his Warner Bros. cartoons, "I didn't make them for children. I made them for me." We are our target audience, and if you re like us, it'll be worthwhile for the lot of us.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 01:32 PM   #1595
scifib5st
Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
I don't usually address fan interest, but here goes.

Personally, while I'm pleased to hear that there are people interested in seeing the product, their rabid or lack of interest has zero effect on my work. I am working on it because I want to, that's why. And I think that's the best reason: passion to make good work. Hopefully if the finished result makes us happy--and we are much pickier than most fans, I daresay--I think fans will like it too. As Chuck Jones said of his Warner Bros. cartoons, "I didn't make them for children. I made them for me." We are our target audience, and if you re like us, it'll be worthwhile for the lot of us.
Ok, you had me at Hello, but now quoting Chuck Jones....
Please keep up the good work!
scifib5st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 04:35 PM   #1596
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post
QFT
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2011, 08:07 PM   #1597
Forbin
Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
It would be nice to see the rest of this while I'm still in my forties...
Well, that ship has sailed for me.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2011, 08:09 PM   #1598
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

You'll manage.
Old October 20 2011, 01:26 AM   #1599
Maurice
Vice Admiral

No offense, but you're sort of taking the topic off-topic and into fan fiction, rather than being about the show that's actually in production.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old October 20 2011, 01:45 AM   #1600
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Agreed.

A better way to go about this would be to start another thread, post a link to the PDF of your take on it, and then ask everyone's opinion on it, rather than hijack this thread. Every time I've seen it updated since this started, I've had a false-start-hope that finally the final act of The Tressaurian Intersection was up and viewable ... and then let down.
Old October 20 2011, 03:21 AM   #1601
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

If we should have learned anything about this production and it's history, it's that we should take every piece of news about it with a grain of salt. If they want to spend their time here in speculation about the third and likely never to be made episode, who does it really hurt? We appear to have plenty of time...
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 04:38 AM   #1602
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Who are "they"?

Besides, it's not one post, he's posting repeatedly, which is against the rules.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old October 20 2011, 06:52 AM   #1603
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

It's not like he's drowning out the updates.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 12:44 PM   #1604
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

By they, I meant the back and forth on that topic. I haven't followed it that closely, but at one point there was a discussion going on. I don't give a crap either way. One thing that does bug me a little is when topics meander on an essentially stagnant thread and someone comes along and complains that the thread needs to get back on topic. No one is being forced to come here and participate. If the thread has nothing that interests you because the active posters of the moment are engaged in a discussion that you couldn't care less about, just wait it out.

A perfect example of this is what I have been doing. I check in here everyday. I skim what was posted. If the posts are long and I don't see any key words that interest me, I close the thread and move on. I do that A LOT on these boards. No big deal. If the individual or individuals that are participating are happy to do so, who am I to come in and complain about?

Maurice, you essentially hold all the cards now. If you choose to share anything with us, it's entirely up to you. If you choose to scrap the project, it's up to you. The fact that ANYONE bothers to come in here to check to see what is happening is a testament to their affection for this project.

Anywho... I am off to find something interesting to read about or discuss. I'll check back tomorrow to see if there is any news on progress. If there is, it will we a sweet treat. If not...no biggie.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 08:30 PM   #1605
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Just to be clear, it's not up to me to scrap the project. I could stop working on it and that would mean...I stop working on it. There are several others back working on it now, so it's not just me. I just carried it through a period where no one else had time.

However, my point is that what's being posted is neither about the OT nor is it following board guidelines about numbers of posts/spamming. But I'll leave it to T'Bonz to decide if it's a problem.
—Glen Larson, 2010