RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,685
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 892
Newest member: Stevie Trek

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 14 2008, 09:35 PM   #1
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Best and Worst Clones

Cloning is a plot device that has been used a lot in genre works. In your opinion who or what have been the best and worst clones in the genre-comics, literature, film, TV, etc.?

Examples:

Luuke Skywalker-Thrawn Trilogy
Crichton's clone-Farscape
Ben Reilly-Spider-Man
Shinzon-ST: Nemesis
Rico-Judge Dredd movie
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 09:37 PM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: Best and Worst Clones

I sincerely hope nobody's putting Ben Reilly in the "best" category.

How about Carson Beckett in Stargate: Atlantis ?
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 09:43 PM   #3
A Clockwork Lim
Lieutenant Commander

I think Crichton was handled the best of all the clones I'm aware of. They almost always treated them both as individuals and real people. Hell, it's been so long since I've watched the series that I can't even remember which one survived or if they even established which was the original.

The worst are pretty much any story that implies that a typical clone (ie, vat-grown rather than someone splitting into two) is somehow the exact same person as the original. That they somehow stole their soul because someone downloaded a few memories into their head, or that they magically know what the other is thinking and planning. Shinzon and Schwarzenegger in that one God-awful film are prime examples.
A Clockwork Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 10:09 PM   #4
CaptainCanada
Admiral

X-23 is a well-done alternate take/commentary on Wolverine's origin, reversing the idea of Logan having to overcome his programming; instead, the question is what is there beside the programming (the answer so far is "something, but not a whole lot").

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Crichton was interesting because both Crichtons were clones, technically speaking. The original Crichton died in that episode where the two clones emerged.

Also let's not forget the wonderful Weyoun clones, particularly in "Treachery, Faith and the Great River."

Hell, it's been so long since I've watched the series that I can't even remember which one survived or if they even established which was the original.
Neither was original. And I can't remember which survived either! I certainly remember his death scene but not if it was Talyn John or Moya John.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral

Null ARC clone troops in the Republic Commando novels are the best.

all other Clone troops are second.

Weyoun in all incarnations is third.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 11:49 PM   #7
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Crichton was interesting because both Crichtons were clones, technically speaking. The original Crichton died in that episode where the two clones emerged.

Also let's not forget the wonderful Weyoun clones, particularly in "Treachery, Faith and the Great River."

Hell, it's been so long since I've watched the series that I can't even remember which one survived or if they even established which was the original.
Neither was original. And I can't remember which survived either! I certainly remember his death scene but not if it was Talyn John or Moya John.
Talyn John was the one that bought the farm.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2008, 11:54 PM   #8
V
Commodore

Rei Ayanami

(though of course, part of her storyline is that while she is a physical clone of the human Yui Ikari, she's got the "soul" of the alien entity Lilith implanted inside of her, so she's more a revanent version of Lilith using a cloned human body as a vessel, and part of her character arc is discovering how she, "Rei" is her own distinct person, neither Yui nor Lilith)
Old December 15 2008, 12:12 AM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral

What the bad guys were doing with the cloning in The Sixth Day was pretty stupid -- when you die, you're dead. Your clone may be alive, but IT'S NOT YOU!!! Though it was funny (and a bit scary) when the clone deliberately killed his previous version.

However, I completely bought the fakeout, thinking I was following one person and it turns out to be the other person. So that made the movie better than what it was -- which was Arnold on auto pilot.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Captain Intrepid
Vice Admiral

Up the Long ladder was one of the worst easily.
Old December 15 2008, 12:34 AM   #11
Thrall
Commodore

BOBA FETTZ!
Old December 16 2008, 10:39 AM   #12
Hermiod
Admiral

Temis the Red-Nosed Vorta wrote: View Post
Best clones ever!

Well, except us Asgard of course.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 05:23 PM   #13
Mistral
Vice Admiral

worst: Michael Keaton, Multiplicity

one of the best: Arnie in the Sixth Day

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 06:04 PM   #14
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Tom Riker!
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 06:39 PM   #15
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Mini-Me.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote