Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old January 3 2009, 01:43 AM   #151
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell
Re: "Fury" Kes, a Mirror Kes?

Johnhead99 wrote: View Post
Union Elf wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
...and fans consider canon paramount.
Not all of us do, many of us are open minded enough to accept alternatives and discuss "what if" that is why we have a message board, to discuss "what if." We are NOT the ruling elite of religious order deciding which works are canon and which are to be rejected.

Please do not issue these sorts of sweeping general statements as fact please.
Agreed. If I only cared about Canon, I wouldn't read the novels. And, for me, the novels are the best.

The String Theory explanation is plausable; but I never really understood what the deal with FURY was in the first place. I guess I need to go back and watch it; but, at the time, it seemed plausable. Especially with her mental abilities in all. Can someone elaborate on the issues of the episode so when I watch it again tonight and I can look for those?
I agree that the String Theory explanation sounds plausible.

Lynx wrote: View Post

We must also face the facts that it will never be any Voyager episode or movie and that those who ruined the character are not involved with Star Trek anymore. So if a writer presents something which might give an acceptable solution to the "Fury" problem, something that the fans of the character Kes appreciate, why must it had to be waved away as unacceptable because of not being "canon"?
I totally agree. If there is relaunch novel with Kes in it, I will certainly read it.

Therefore it's actually natural to discuss other options who may be more acceptable for the fans who ind "Fury" as nothing but an insulting piece of crap.
I think we all should be allowed to talk about the ep. whether some find it acceptable or not. The board is for everyone to express their opinions, correct?
Definitely.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2009, 07:05 AM   #152
Mirror_Barclay
Lieutenant Commander

I didn't care for the ep.

I do think Kes had a lot of unexplored potential; it's a shame so little was done with her.

As for books, they're a nice source of potential explanations and cool ideas, at the very least. However, as books are non-canon, I'm quite disappointed at how seldom alternate universes are explored. Indeed, Trek is better at doing this than many continuations of former TV series. And the most obvious change is to bring back former characters - there can be no excuses as to actor unavailability, or lack of budget, etc.
Mirror_Barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2009, 12:07 AM   #153
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Therefore it's actually natural to discuss other options who may be more acceptable for the fans who ind "Fury" as nothing but an insulting piece of crap.
I think we all should be allowed to talk about the ep. whether some find it acceptable or not. The board is for everyone to express their opinions, correct?
I get the impression that we are doing just that.
That is my impression too.

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
I actually do like the episode "Fury." Even as a fan of Kes. It's a fun episode, action packed, and it features the Vidiians again who are one of my favorite villains. For my own personal canon, if you will, I accept the String Theory books explanation for the Kes we saw in "Fury." Just because I don't see the friendly Kes we last saw in "The Gift" twisting so far evil as to want to kill all of the friends she made on Voyager. Not just kill them but actually torture the crew by having the Vidiians remove their vital organs.
The Vidiians were good villains. (Meaning that they were portrayed well. The writing was also good, making their plight believable)

That 'String Theory' explanation sounds interesting.

Without being too melodramatic, I will never forgive Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and Bryan Fuller for that episode. Did you know that Braga and Fuller actually did spend a Christmas, figuring out that diabolical scenario? The true spirit of Christmas, wasn't it? And a real Christmas gift to the Kes fans. But what can be expected from such ?
Not in the spirit of Christmas at all!
Old January 15 2009, 12:51 AM   #154
USS Fardell
Captain

Lucy of Nine wrote: View Post
^^
Doesn't matter. The Voyager story continues in the books and the explanations in the "String Theory" books are plausible.

And acceptable for many fans.
LOL - read the above post from Lynx, but do it in a Borgified accent... ta dah... it sooo sounds like Seven! I love it! LOL

BTW like I said in the other thread... I am not a great fan of ole Kes, but I thought Fury was a bit ridiculous in my humble opinion...
I agree, in more ways than one. For example Tom Paris's "Faster than Light: No left or right" with the subspace vacuoles. We had seen starships change direction at warp before...

teacake wrote: View Post
No it was OUR Kes and she finally, finally leaves forever.

Kes is my least favorite character so it's a toss up as to whether having her dissipate into whatevuh in "The Gift" or turn into Psycho-harridan in "The Fury" is better.
I would have preferred to have "The Gift" as the final episode for Kes, rather than what had happened.

teacake wrote: View Post
No it was OUR Kes and she finally, finally leaves forever.

Kes is my least favorite character so it's a toss up as to whether having her dissipate into whatevuh in "The Gift" or turn into Psycho-harridan in "The Fury" is better.
Well, I guess that malice can be fun but consider the fact that there are many fans who like Kes and who were very unhappy by the way she was treated.

What would you say if your favorite character would have been destroyed in the same way?
I would be upset at the writers for the travesty of a script that destroyed said character.