Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 9 2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Tracking Someone Else's Cell Phone Location Using Only a Phone Number

My co-worker has an iPhone. This morning, he told me that his 8 year-old son was playing around with the phone and showed his dad how to track my location using only my cell phone number.

I asked my co-worker to duplicate this process for me. He was not able to do so (his kid is more savvy with the phone than he is), but he showed me a map that clearly indicated a location that I had been at a few days before.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I can't imagine that this service would be available to the public without getting permission from the 'trackee' in advance. The potential for abuse is off the chart. Stalkers will go wild.

Again, I can hardly believe it myself, but there I was on the map on his phone.

My Blackberry is GPS enabled, if that has any relevance.
Old December 9 2008, 01:06 AM   #2
An Officer
Vice Admiral

Re: Tracking Someone Else's Cell Phone Location Using Only a Phone Num

Quite disturbing stuff.

I have heard of a phone that is being produced, which can still transmit whatever is being said, even if the number dialed is only ringing and hasn't been picked up...

Imagine, you could be saying: "I don't wanna pick up THAT fucker's call"... and they can hear on the other end...
Old December 9 2008, 01:07 AM   #3
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I'm deeply speculating here, but if your phone is set to send location data during phonecalls, then it's entirely possible that if you were talking with someone that they'd be able to figure out where you were when they were talking with you.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 01:09 AM   #4
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Most phones are GPS enabled by default, and most people don't know how to disable it. Even my own phone, a Samsung Slide, is GPS enabled. It's a bit disturbing, really, but it's good for 911 if you call from your cell phone. They can pinpoint you in seconds.

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 01:18 AM   #5
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

More information:

I wasn't speaking to him at the time. Nor did he call me. Nor did my phone ring.

Looking back, I could swear that I remember my phone making a weird beeping noise at the time, as if I was receiving a message, but there was no incoming message.

And I could have been using my GPS at the time to find an address.
Old December 9 2008, 02:49 AM   #6
billcosby
Commodore

Incredibly disturbing, yes.

But there's also the application of finding those who have gotten lost, or even kidnapped.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 02:50 AM   #7
Gertch
Admiral

There is a real estate application that will use the location of your cell phone to show you houses on the market near your present location. Of course you are connected to their service or web page requesting the information.

I believe Verizon is one of the few if only carriers that will not let 3rd party apps use their gps application at the moment.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

Guys, GPS has nothing to do with it.

It's possible to track any cell phone based on which TOWER it's currently communicating with. This is possible with ANY cell phone.

What the O.P. wants to know is if this ability is available to the public (and not just the police, FBI, etc.) I honestly have no idea about that, but the question of "can you be located?" is a definite YES! It's the "who" that's up in the air.
Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 06:04 AM   #9
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

Does your friend have the Loopt application? This is the only app I know that lets you track friends. Though I'm not 100% sure how it works with people on other carriers.

-nobody
Old December 9 2008, 07:59 AM   #10
Hermiod
Admiral

Small White Car wrote: View Post
Guys, GPS has nothing to do with it.

It's possible to track any cell phone based on which TOWER it's currently communicating with. This is possible with ANY cell phone.

What the O.P. wants to know is if this ability is available to the public (and not just the police, FBI, etc.) I honestly have no idea about that, but the question of "can you be located?" is a definite YES! It's the "who" that's up in the air.
Indeed, I was shown a demo about 9 years ago showing a map and the route a Vodafone engineer had taken between cell towers as he went about his business maintaining their towers.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Nobody wrote: View Post
Does your friend have the Loopt application? This is the only app I know that lets you track friends. Though I'm not 100% sure how it works with people on other carriers.

-nobody
In any event, he has nothing more than my phone number. In other words, I haven't authorized him to track me or given him a special pin number or anything.