Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Alpine Fields"
"I'll be back." (Excellent) 12 25.00%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 26 54.17%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 8 16.67%
"Hasta la vista, baby." (Below Average) 1 2.08%
"You are TERMINATED." (Failure) 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 9 2008, 06:32 AM   #31
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Re: Terminator-212 "Alpine Fields" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

I thought it was interesting to see Skynet coming after another mother of an important future figure, that was nice and consistent. Although I got some kind of weird vibe from the sister with the short hair...perhaps they are going to use her again because they sure seemed to develop her a bit.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 07:06 AM   #32
nx1701g
Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I missed the last couple of minutes and I'll have to watch the whole thing again tomorrow.
HighteeHeller wrote: View Post
I missed the whole ep because i had a date. Since that doesn't happen very often i thought i'd share.
Look forward to catching up on it tomorrow night.
Watch it on Fox.Com PLEASE And vote for the show for a People's Choice Award for best Sci-FI
Old December 9 2008, 07:12 AM   #33
nx1701g
Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
Could you tell me where subs are mentioned in the T2 novelization? I happen to have a copy, so I'd like to confirm your statements. I forgot about the stealth bombers being used by Skynet, but I wouldn't take that as evidence subs were refitted to be Skynet controlled. And we can't use any of the novel series events to conjecturalize about what happened in the SSC timeline since there has been so much divergence.
Specifically mentioning which one will be a problem. I have both copies and I'm not 100% sure which one I read it in. There is one by Randall Frakes that came out around the time of the movie itself. A new version was released in the late 90s by I think a man named Campbell or maybe it is Jefferies. It's been a while since I read them. They're packed away though because of our renovations. I'll have to look for them. I also have the comics and the illustrated screenplay - autographed by Cameron.

Anyway, the day the Navy lets a USAF AI control its ships will be when hell freezes over.
If it's ordered by the Pentagon I don't think they'd have much of a choice.

In this timeline, I think even the southern hemisphere got hit, since Derek is surprised that the Aussies are growing food again. Then again, it could've been the effects of fallout or a post J-day hit that was responsible. Since in this timeline, J Day happens in 2011, I think Skynet would know enough to neutralize China as well as the US and Russia; it might go as far as attacking the other nuclear powers as well in order to prevent them from attacking while it built up its infrastructure.
Likely possibility. There are only a couple of continuities in which I know of the southern hemisphere being left alone. Then again some storylines exist where there were two JDs.
Old December 9 2008, 07:21 AM   #34
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Overall I thought this was a pretty good episode. Not as brilliant as last week, but still enjoyable. Doing flashbacks and flashforwards with the story interweaving was pretty nice. Seeing how Jesse and Derek first met was also neat.
Brent wrote: View Post
Why did she have such a hard time taking down this Terminator when she's made easy of them in the past?
Well that part of the episode did take place 6 months in the past, perhaps she hasn't developed more advanced Terminator fighting techniques that she currently uses? I would imagine that every time she fights another Terminator, especially ones of a different model, she is better able to analyze her fights and is better able to predict how a Terminator will react to a given situation, and is able to figure out better ways of fighting them.

Kaijufan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 01:20 PM   #35
flavaflav
Commander

average
decent filler ep. nothing else i can really say about this one.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 03:26 PM   #36
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

The story unfolded on three different timelines, I loved that.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 03:45 PM   #37
Paul
Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure why Skynet doesn't just kill Sydney in the future, considering she's holed up in Eagle Rock all by herself.

I like the change of pace in the narrative of the series, though. The intertwining plotlines reminds me a bit of Mr. Ferguson Is Ill Today.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 06:05 PM   #38
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Maybe Skynet doesn't know she's the source of the cure or that there were even survivors.
Old December 9 2008, 06:37 PM   #39
Ryan8bit
Commodore

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Maybe Skynet doesn't know she's the source of the cure or that there were even survivors.
Then why try to kill her in the past before she is born?

I think there's a little bit too much time travel in this show to try and give any kind of logical explanation. It's like they expend unrealistic amounts of resources to take care of the simplest of tasks, and only to serve a story...

In almost all Terminator media (including the novel of the first film actually) John Connor lied to Kyle. The War Against the Machines lasted well into 2040s.
Personally, I'm not a fan of any of these types of novelizations. I hate the retconning of a lying character just so that sequels can be rationalized, especially when it makes little sense. I preferred the idea of a single terminator (or at the very least, a few) being sent as a last ditch effort on an important mission, rather than this time travel at the drop of a hat for silly reasons.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 07:07 PM   #40
nx1701g
Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Then why try to kill her in the past before she is born?
I meant at the time that the virus was deployed. The Bio attack was believed to be able to kill all the humans at that base and that it would spread according to dialogue. Skynet probably assumed that there would be no survivors to contend with at all.

In almost all Terminator media (including the novel of the first film actually) John Connor lied to Kyle. The War Against the Machines lasted well into 2040s.
Personally, I'm not a fan of any of these types of novelizations. I hate the retconning of a lying character just so that sequels can be rationalized, especially when it makes little sense. I preferred the idea of a single terminator (or at the very least, a few) being sent as a last ditch effort on an important mission, rather than this time travel at the drop of a hat for silly reasons.
I prefer the Dawn of Fate ending myself because it means no one was lying. Skynet was destroyed during the Cheyenne Mountain invasion in it; however, the secondary backups were not and Skynet restored itself 24 hours after the Primary Core was destroyed. That was why in The Terminator the Primary Core was at SAC-NORAD (Cheyenne Mountain) and in T2 it was in downtown LA.
Old December 9 2008, 08:36 PM   #41
highlander
Fleet Captain

View highlander's Twitter Profile

HighteeHeller wrote: View Post
I missed the whole ep because i had a date. Since that doesn't happen very often i thought i'd share.
Look forward to catching up on it tomorrow night.
Good choice. I got your back on this one homie!

I voted above average. I like the different time lines and the further look into Derek's future/past. BAG is really great again in this episode. It was nice to see him take the lead instead of John or Sarah.
Old December 9 2008, 09:12 PM   #42
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed this episode. And I like how the use of frequent time travel has opened up story possibilities.

It's interesting to see the focus switch from film to series. Time travel in the films was just a means to set the monster loose in the village. But here, time travel is the primary focus. This, as last week highlighted quite clearly, is a time travel show.

One effect of this is the flood of terminators. While that lessens the impact of the individual terminators - they are with few exceptions no longer characters, but cannon fodder - it also brings Skynet more into the forefront as a tangible force. Likely built from the Turk chess program, Skynet uses the Terminator as pieces on the time travel board. Skynet moves, the Connors counter, Skynet moves again, and so on. It's a little messier than chess because there are more than two players in the game - Jesse, Weaver, Babylon - whose intentions and impact are unknown. But I like the way this is all playing out.

As far as the episode, it was good to see how the relationship between Jessie and Derek was forged. It makes her more interesting. And I enjoyed the no nonsense way Sarah and Cameron go about their business despite being surrounded by a hysterical family, although I found some of the family "drama" to be a bit forced.

Above Average

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."

Last edited by TheArsenal; December 9 2008 at 09:27 PM.
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 10:27 PM   #43
Wouter2
Captain

Voted average. Weakest episode of the season so far, IMO.

The family in the present didn't really engage me, the "6 months later" part with Derek felt very isolated from all the rest and the future story was interesting, but short and a bit disjointed.

Cameron losing a fight for once was actually a nice touch though, considering that so often she wins through the skin of her teeth. Cameron would have lost quite a few fights (against Carter, against Vick, against Cromartie once and against the Greenway Terminator) if not for intervention by Sarah, or other lucky breaks (like the enemy terminator having other priorities than dealing with her).

Last edited by Wouter2; December 9 2008 at 11:57 PM.
Wouter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 10:34 PM   #44
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Eh, Average.
Old December 9 2008, 10:42 PM   #45
Cicero
Admiral

Wouter2 wrote: View Post
Voted average. Weakest episode of the season so far, IMO.

The family in the present didn't really engage it me, the "6 months later" part with Derek felt very isolated from all the rest and the future story was interesting, but short and a bit disjointed.

Cameron losing a fight for once was actually a nice touch though, considering that so often she wins through the skin of her teeth. Cameron would have lost quite a few fights (against Carter, against Vick, against Cromartie once and against the Greenway Terminator) if not for intervention by Sarah, or other lucky breaks (like the enemy terminator having other priorities than dealing with her).
Which one was Carter?