MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Alpine Fields"
"I'll be back." (Excellent) 12 25.00%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 26 54.17%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 8 16.67%
"Hasta la vista, baby." (Below Average) 1 2.08%
"You are TERMINATED." (Failure) 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 9 2008, 02:51 AM   #16
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: Terminator-212 "Alpine Fields" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Quantum wrote: View Post
LutherSloan wrote: View Post
Was that conversation between Derek and Peter Mensah's character in the future a nod to Kyle Reese going back in time from the first Terminator film?
That is how I took it.
It also refers to the events of Season One's Dungeon's & Dragons.
Old December 9 2008, 02:52 AM   #17
bullethead
Fleet Captain

It's nice to see the producers give us some background info on the Resistance's military strength. I wonder how the Jimmy Carter (SSN-23) survived and ended up in the hands of Australians (or partially crewed by Aussies, at least).

Also, it's nice to see that Skynet was smart enough to develop bioweapons, but it seems kinda odd that they weren't deployed earlier. Maybe Skynet felt its conventional forces were enough to deal with the humans and with its defeat looming, it decided to pull out all the stops to give it time to develop the time displacement tech?
Old December 9 2008, 02:53 AM   #18
Tom
Rear Admiral

Cameron: He was human? Oops my mistake. LOL
Old December 9 2008, 02:55 AM   #19
nx1701g
Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
It's nice to see the producers give us some background info on the Resistance's military strength. I wonder how the Jimmy Carter (SSN-23) survived and ended up in the hands of Australians (or partially crewed by Aussies, at least).
It's about par for the course actually. In the novels Brazil (may have been Venezuela) had the USS Roosevelt - a fictional Ohio Class Sub. The northern hemisphere was most damaged by JD.
Old December 9 2008, 02:58 AM   #20
Quantum
Captain

nx1701g wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post

Wasn't Kyle sent back once Skynet was finally defeated though?
Why they smashed skynet's defense perimeter it was a major victory but it wasn't the end. Thier where still Skynet's minions to deal with. Wouldn't a sub commander have a good chance of surviving J-Day becasue it would be underwater and its exact whereabouts would be unknown.

P.S. How did Derek get from SoCal to Aussie Land?
Derek is still in SoCal, Jesse got to the US via the Jimmy Carter.

All United States Navy vessels were reprogrammed and upgraded with cybernetic brains following the break through to the Skynet System. On JD Skynet shut down the environmental systems of the subs and took over them by remote.
Where are you geting your inside information from if you don't mind me asking?

Cam made a pretty big goof knocking out/killing roger... Why couldn't/didn't she "scan" him...

P.S. Wouldn't thier be relatively "safe" areas on the planet. Surely Skynet's reach is not every corner of the world...

Final Cam goes doen in a fight It was about time....
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 03:02 AM   #21
bullethead
Fleet Captain

All United States Navy vessels were reprogrammed and upgraded with cybernetic brains following the break through to the Skynet System. On JD Skynet shut down the environmental systems of the subs and took over them by remote.
That only happened in the Stirling T2 novels. None of the canon Terminator stuff has actually gone into detail about what military assets survived in any usable form. Even this show hasn't; the mention of the Carter and the glimpse of the carrier in "Allison from Palmdale" are just background things that don't tell us much about the overall disposition of either sides' assets.
Old December 9 2008, 03:03 AM   #22
nx1701g
Admiral

The novelization of Terminator 2 features a line that mentions Nuclear Subs were updated with Cybernetic Brains. The novel T2: Future War has several chapters dealing with the Roosevelt trying to evade Skynet destruction from submartines that have been taken over by Skynet.

Cam made a pretty big goof knocking out/killing roger... Why couldn't/didn't she "scan" him...
Fog of war.

P.S. Wouldn't thier be relatively "safe" areas on the planet. Surely Skynet's reach is not every corner of the world.,,
Depends on what you look at. In most media the southern hemisphere wasn't as devastated as the North.
Old December 9 2008, 03:03 AM   #23
nx1701g
Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post
That only happened in the Stirling T2 novels. None of the canon Terminator stuff has actually gone into detail about what military assets survived in any usable form. Even this show hasn't; the mention of the Carter and the glimpse of the carrier in "Allison from Palmdale" are just background things that don't tell us much about the overall disposition of either sides' assets.
The novel of T2 mentions it with the line about Stealth Bombers being upgraded with Cyberdyne processors.
Old December 9 2008, 03:06 AM   #24
Tim
Vice Admiral

It could be the chip damage, the topic of which was touched upon again last week. She also got banged up pretty well hunting the T-888 in the woods. Roger did groan a bit after being knocked down, so I don't think he was dead. Plus, dialogue implies that the T-888 kills him later on.

Did anyone else notice the "should be apples" comment from Jessie, which was the same language used by Riley when she was introduced? Given their scene together a few episodes ago and the preview for next week, there are some definite homoerotic overtones to their relationship.

Ultimately, I voted "above average." Good taut action and a well-written character story, but I was left wanting a bit more closure at the end. I also wanted to see more Cameron, but well, can't have everything.

Next week looks like a bringing together of a lot of loose plot threads, which would be great. The Ellison / John Henry interaction looks fascinating (and rather like Dr. Chandra / HAL from 2010).
Old December 9 2008, 03:26 AM   #25
bullethead
Fleet Captain

The novelization of Terminator 2 features a line that mentions Nuclear Subs were updated with Cybernetic Brains. The novel T2: Future War has several chapters dealing with the Roosevelt trying to evade Skynet destruction from submartines that have been taken over by Skynet.
Could you tell me where subs are mentioned in the T2 novelization? I happen to have a copy, so I'd like to confirm your statements. I forgot about the stealth bombers being used by Skynet, but I wouldn't take that as evidence subs were refitted to be Skynet controlled. And we can't use any of the novel series events to conjecturalize about what happened in the SSC timeline since there has been so much divergence.

Anyway, the day the Navy lets a USAF AI control its ships will be when hell freezes over.

P.S. Wouldn't thier be relatively "safe" areas on the planet. Surely Skynet's reach is not every corner of the world.,,
Depends on what you look at. In most media the southern hemisphere wasn't as devastated as the North.
In this timeline, I think even the southern hemisphere got hit, since Derek is surprised that the Aussies are growing food again. Then again, it could've been the effects of fallout or a post J-day hit that was responsible. Since in this timeline, J Day happens in 2011, I think Skynet would know enough to neutralize China as well as the US and Russia; it might go as far as attacking the other nuclear powers as well in order to prevent them from attacking while it built up its infrastructure.
Old December 9 2008, 03:35 AM   #26
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Cameron was knocked out too easily in this episode, they aren't very consistent. In previous episodes she can take out Terminators easily, in this one she ends up taking a lot of damage to the point of being knocked out?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 03:56 AM   #27
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Too easily? She was in a hand-to-hand fight. It was daylight when it started, and night by the time it was over. That means she was keeping him at bay for at least an hour.
Old December 9 2008, 04:16 AM   #28
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Why did she have such a hard time taking down this Terminator when she's made easy of them in the past?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 04:39 AM   #29
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I missed the last couple of minutes and I'll have to watch the whole thing again tomorrow.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9 2008, 04:53 AM   #30
HighteeHeller
Rear Admiral

I missed the whole ep because i had a date. Since that doesn't happen very often i thought i'd share.
Look forward to catching up on it tomorrow night.
HighteeHeller is offline   Reply With Quote