Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old December 7 2008, 03:38 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek' Authors React To Simon & Schuster Layoffs

Star Trek authors and literature fans were saddened by the news that Senior Editor Marco Palmieri was let go in the recent round of Simon & Schuster layoffs.

As reported by TrekBBS, it's no surprise in these troubled economic times to hear of layoffs, but one hit close to home for Star Trek literature fans. Marco Palmieri, the editor responsible for the post-finale Deep Space Nine relaunch, Titan and Vangaurd series of books, was one of the ones furloughed.

Some authors who had worked with Palmieri spoke about the impact he had made on them. "I'll always be grateful to him for the opportunities and consideration he offered," said Allyn Gibson. "He let me crash the Constellations party, and he took a chance on 'Make-Believe,' and I owe him an immense debt of gratitude for that." "I have a deep gratitude for the opportunities Marco has given me," said Scott Pearson, and sure hope things play out in a way that I get to work with him on something, anything, in the future." "My writing career owes an awful lot to the guidance and opportunities I've received from Marco over the last few years,' said Jim Johnson.

Keith R.A. DeCandido was certain that Palmieri had brought out the best in his writing. "I think the three best novels I've written among the thirty-five plus I've penned were all under Marco's editorial tutelage, and that's not a coincidence. He was always good at pushing me to push myself harder. In the discipline of karate I study, the term 'shihan,' which means 'master instructor,' is reserved for sixth-degree black belts. The person who runs my dojo is a 'shihan,' and he also pushes me to push myself harder. Dave Mack has called Marco his 'sensei,' which means 'teacher,' but I think 'shihan' is more apropos."

Others spoke of the man and what he did for Star Trek literature. "I found him to be an enthusiast, a gentleman and a professional," said James Swallow. "He was pivotal in making 'Star Trek' literature what it is today, and brought great innovation, sophistication, and quality to the line," said Christopher L. Bennett.

To read more, head to the thread located here.

Old December 9 2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek' Authors React To Simon & Schuster Layoffs

This is really shitty news...
Old December 14 2008, 10:56 AM   #3
TrekGuide.com
Fleet Captain

Why is this written like an obituary, referring to Palmieri in the past tense? Getting laid off is not the same as dying.

I'm an unemployed editor myself, but I'm not sitting around planning my own funeral.

It's an opportunity to look for a better job with a better company. The whole paper-and-ink industry is in a downward spiral, and we'll probably hear a lot more news like this in the future.

The trick is to find a stable company that produces a consistent product that is not a victim of the current economy. That's true whether you're in publishing, car manufacturing, mortgage lending, or a commercial airline.
Old December 14 2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

TrekGuide.com wrote: View Post
Why is this written like an obituary, referring to Palmieri in the past tense?
So use of the past tense is somehow "like an obituary"? I'd say it's written in the past tense because the specific things it describes happened in, you know, the recent past...

What the prose style of this news article has to do with your own employment status, or how Palmieri is handling his own job search, remains likewise unclear.