Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old December 6 2008, 05:57 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Shatner, Moore, Abrams, Orci On Remaking Science Fiction

Several major science fiction franchises have had new series or movies recently and there is good reason for that, according to those involved in the creative processes.

As reported by the Los Angeles Times, some of the people who have helped to create classic science fiction explain why some of those science fiction shows are being remade in lieu of brand new ones being created.

William Shatner feels that "science fiction should be about the new and the challenging," yet understands why Star Trek is being remade. "'Star Trek' connected with so many people for so long, and 'Star Wars' is the same way," he said. "There's a thrill for fans to see the heroes they know."

Battlestar Galactica's Ronald D. Moore compared Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica remakes with the often repeated plays of Shakespeare. "In the same way that Shakespeare's plays can be revisited again and again in new ways and settings, with things like 'Star Trek' or 'Battlestar Galactica' there is enough of the core mythology there that you can change and adapt all the things around it for something very new and worthwhile," Moore said. "New generations can make it their own. Strong new interpretations build on the past, they don't repeat it. There was enough there [in various science fiction franchises] that it appealed to multiple generations and influenced creators. Some of those creators want to go back and work with these properties they grew up loving."

One of these properties is Star Trek. J.J. Abrams explained that, "people...really care about these characters and these stories and the details." In spite of that, Abrams is making a film to appeal to more than just the devoted fans. "I have to tell you, I'm not going to make a movie that tries to make every hard-core Trekker happy, because it's not possible. I'm making a movie for fans of movies. I want it to be an adventure and fun and sexy and scary and epic and intimate and everything. I feel a great responsibility to these characters and everything that has come before, but I need to make a film that is not paralyzed by all of that."

Writer Roberto Orci wants to embrace both the familiar and yet offer something fresh and new. "We're trying to do something in the middle, something that holds on to everything that makes 'Star Trek' what it is but also take it into a new place," he said. "One thing about the original show was its inherent optimism, and we very much wanted that in this movie. This is a future you would want to live in. And we hope it's a future people want to watch."

To read more, head to the article located here.