Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old December 8 2008, 08:27 AM   #31
addik
Ensign

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to addik
Re: Frakes On 'Star Trek XI'

I didn't take what he said the way some are, that he's expecting or hoping for the TNG cast to come back in any way. He was just saying that it's great for Trek and the fans if the new movie does make a hit. If it does do well, there's a future where there wasn't one before. And when they talk with each other, about loving the idea of working together on Trek again, of course they would. They're pretty much family.

TNG is by far my favorite (I grew up watching it) and while I'd love to see them together again, I also hope they don't. Just out of fear that somebody would screw it up again. They had their send off, there's no ends to tie up. They got screwed with Nemesis, and I hate it for them, but that's that.
Old December 8 2008, 08:42 AM   #32
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

addik wrote: View Post
They had their send off, there's no ends to tie up. They got screwed with Nemesis
That's why I want TNG to get a better final film, a good one they so well deserve, maybe involving Q somehow and a new alien race. If the original crew got star trek 6 after the 5th one, tng should get another one after Nemesis (Insurrection was/is good, I like Nemesis but not as tng's final film)
Old December 8 2008, 08:42 AM   #33
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

addik wrote: View Post
I didn't take what he said the way some are, that he's expecting or hoping for the TNG cast to come back in any way. He was just saying that it's great for Trek and the fans if the new movie does make a hit. If it does do well, there's a future where there wasn't one before. And when they talk with each other, about loving the idea of working together on Trek again, of course they would. They're pretty much family.

TNG is by far my favorite (I grew up watching it) and while I'd love to see them together again, I also hope they don't. Just out of fear that somebody would screw it up again. They had their send off, there's no ends to tie up. They got screwed with Nemesis, and I hate it for them, but that's that.
Agreed aside from the part about Nemesis. Outside of box-office I think it was their best film.

And you guys are missing one thing when comparing TOS to TNG. TOS only had 3 seasons worth of
TV material before moving on to the bigscreen. TNG ran for 7 years. They got far more content out of that
than the TOS crew did with all the Motion Pictures combined. 4 movies was plenty. The only part that saddens
me is the box-office they got, but in the end that doesn't matter. They got their goodbyes and the characters
got their climaxes.
Old December 8 2008, 09:02 AM   #34
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

trekkerguy wrote: View Post

4 movies was plenty. The only part that saddens
me is the box-office they got, but in the end that doesn't matter. They got their goodbyes and the characters
got their climaxes.
There are 4 movies, but they need a better last film, maybe 2 more. Also the Enterprise E is vastly underused and underrated

I would say Tngs' first three movies did well, Nemesis is their only one that did not but could have if it was not for the release date and the script being released on the internet
Old December 8 2008, 09:21 AM   #35
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

Siwilliams wrote: View Post

4 movies was plenty. The only part that saddens
got their climaxes.
There are 4 movies, but they need a better last film, maybe 2 more. Also the Enterprise E is vastly underused and underrated

I would say Tngs' first three movies did well, Nemesis is their only one that did not but could have if it was not for the release date and the script being released on the internet
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think Nemesis was the best way to end it and four was enough.
Simple as that. I can see how others would disagree, but that's my view.
Old December 8 2008, 07:54 PM   #36
davidant32
Commodore

Dasher'n'Dancer32 wrote: View Post
After 4 feature films, it would be an insult to send off the TNG crew with a TV movie, even if their recent box office performances warrant it.

The DS9 and VOY crews kind of got screwed (not as much as ENT cast though). Bermaga had too many children that they couldn't show each of them the proper love and attention they deserved.

So, do a combined tv event for DS9/VOY casts. I mean, they started together on DS9 in "Caretaker," they should come full circle. Leave out Worf, though (maybe a mention) since he'll get his due on the big screen. They could even shoehorn Shatner in.

Then do one last TNG movie, and make it the end of the 24th Century on the big screen.

Forget Enterprise. Maybe Abrams can revisit the Romulan War down the road, but I don't think he should draw too heavily from ENT.

Insult to you maybe, but considering most of their success came from the TV series, and they aren't that anal, I doubt they would have anything against the gesture. If they did they'd just be making themselves out to be more bigger-than-their-britches Shatner types and I don't see any of the TNG cast like that.

And how exactly did DS9 and VOY get screwed? They both lived out full 7 year spans even with declining viewership. And not every series needs a movie nor would it really work with the characters having gone other directions.

Neither show needed nor earned a movie. Every part of your idea sounds extremely contrived. If they have a good story to tell about the TNG crew they should. But throwing a bucket of assorted characters together just for the hell of it is a waste of time, effort and creativity. The same reason Abrams left Shatner out of XI.
DS9 and Voyager got screwed because they were all on the air at the same time as each other, as well as during the TNG movie run. Thus, the audience for each was arguably less than it would've been had TNG run its course, done a set of movies, followed by DS9 and its movies, then finally VOY and its movies. The way it turned out, DS9 and VOY casts were both chompin at the bit to make movies, but the TNG cast was still doing their thing on the big screen. In that regard, DS9 and VOY were screwed. And while VOY did last 7 seasons, the quality of S7 (and some would even say S6) was lacking. There were a lot of loose ends left untied and a lot of it felt rushed. Why? Because, imo, Bermaga was very excited about their new baby ENT and VOY suffered because of it.

Lots of people clamour about a new movie for TNG, DS9, and even VOY. Realistically, only one cast will get time on the big screen, and that honour should go to the most popular of the tv shows as well as that which has been on the big screen 4 times prior. To give the TNG cast a tv special would be a slap in the face, saying "your movies sucked, but here's a consolation prize. Enjoy your time slot and be quiet." They don't deserve that; it's such a step down. It would be a step up, however, for DS9 and VOY. These shows' audiences want more closure, and a tv special (combined or not) would do just that. Their shows' ratings and premises do no warrant a full theatrical release. And, many fans (including Bill Shatner) were left displeased by his character's death. This would be a way to bring extra star power to a tv special without wasting time in the theatres.

So, in summary: leave the shows on the media platforms in which we last saw them. TNG in one last theatre outing, and DS9/VOY in a television special. Don't recast, and don't demote/promote anything to or fro the big screen. Finish it and be done with the 24th C so we can all move on and enjoy Abrams' 23rd.
Old December 8 2008, 08:43 PM   #37
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

I think they missed the boat on doing a DS9 movie, which I would have loved to see. As far as the "Bermaga" comments:

Brannon Braga was not involved in DS9 at all, nor was he involved with the last two Star Trek films. Ken Biller was the show runner for VOY's last season.

I would prefer to not see a DS9/VOY crossover. There's no need for that.

All of the sequel series got a proper send off and it's time for something else.
Old December 9 2008, 11:04 AM   #38
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Frakes need not worry, once this new movie is a success we will see a return of The Next Next Generation to our screens in the guise of a big screen return, he will no doubt get a cameo role in it.