RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,675
Members: 24,202
Currently online: 667
Newest member: wendelcarree

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old December 7 2008, 01:12 AM   #16
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: Frakes On 'Star Trek XI'

[quote=Admiral James Kirk;2376218]
Siwilliams wrote: View Post
Personally I think TNG only has a chance at a comeback if they go made for tv. Personally I'd think that would be a good thing. TV movies are cheaper to produce than big screen fare and maybe they'd come up with something special for the fans. Even if it's one last goodbye.
trekkerguy wrote: View Post
TNG was my fave, and I loved all it's films including Nemesis. But I think the most we will see from them, and I would be very excited to see this, is a 2 hour tv movie possibly shown on CBS as one final send off to the TNG cast. That would be awesome.
Think annual or even semi-annual made-for-cable miniseries... Four nights, eight hours, plots to cover the post-NEM era, a few familiar characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY perhaps even some from New Frontier...
Old December 7 2008, 03:27 AM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I really do not want any more TNG. When (not if ) the movie is a big success, they should split their efforts between more movies with the main TOS characters and bringing the 23rd C back to TV, maybe with some of the TOS characters, perhaps just as guest stars.

After that has a chance to run a while, the next item of business is to go back to the ENT prequel concept, except this time really do the "birth of the Federation" concept, with the Earth-Romulan War. Don't dick around with random space tourism nobody cares about.

After that, I wouldn't be adverse to seeing DS9 revived, for a post-Dominion-War series. But by then, all those characters will have to be recast as well. But the characters are strong enough that like the TOS characters, recasting could work. I don't really see recasting being worthwhile for TNG, VOY or ENT (for BOTF, I'm thinking timeline, not those specific characters). Might as well just invent new characters.
Old December 7 2008, 05:20 AM   #18
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I too would like to see another TNG film as well, one or two more

Insurrection is always said to be a flop....how so? It made $70 million, hell of a lot more than the flop that is Star Trek 5.
It's returns (or lack thereof) is not what made Insurrection a flop. A moronic script is what made it a flop.
Old December 7 2008, 06:00 AM   #19
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I'd love to see the TNG cast post-Nemesis. Riker and Deanna on the Titan (and I've love to see the fan-designed, Paramount-approved Titan design on-screen). We definitely need some closure. And for DS9 and VOY as well. Whatever happened to Sisko? Whatever happened to the VOY crew when they got back? What happened to Seven of Nine?

Personally I'd be totally cool with a made-for-TV TNG event.
Old December 7 2008, 07:14 AM   #20
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

[quote=T'Cal;2376821]
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Personally I think TNG only has a chance at a comeback if they go made for tv. Personally I'd think that would be a good thing. TV movies are cheaper to produce than big screen fare and maybe they'd come up with something special for the fans. Even if it's one last goodbye.
TNG was my fave, and I loved all it's films including Nemesis. But I think the most we will see from them, and I would be very excited to see this, is a 2 hour tv movie possibly shown on CBS as one final send off to the TNG cast. That would be awesome.
Think annual or even semi-annual made-for-cable miniseries... Four nights, eight hours, plots to cover the post-NEM era, a few familiar characters from TNG, DS9, and VOY perhaps even some from New Frontier...
Meh, I'd rather see one last send off and that be it.
No reason to drag things even further beyond the grave, just makes it tiresome.

Do a 2 hour event with the TNG crew and hand it off to a new crew of another
ship or the Enterprise to continue on.

New Frontier would be a wonderful series to bring to TV perhaps even having
Peter David join the writing staff. Of course all of this is just fanboy dreams.
I think the most we could get would be the 2 hour event which I would be
happy with.
Old December 7 2008, 08:38 AM   #21
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
I too would like to see another TNG film as well, one or two more

Insurrection is always said to be a flop....how so? It made $70 million, hell of a lot more than the flop that is Star Trek 5.
It's returns (or lack thereof) is not what made Insurrection a flop. A moronic script is what made it a flop.
flop is universally money related most of the time

script was alright
Old December 8 2008, 12:08 AM   #22
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

I recall a few months ago Paramount put out a list of various franchises that they were considering for direct-to-video sequels, prequels, or remakes. One of the franchises they listed was Star Trek. I'd like to see Abrams' cast take over the big screen while, simultaneously, we see the continuing adventures of the 24th century in a series of direct-to-video movies combining the casts of The Next Generation, DS9, & Voyager (and even The Original Series & Enterprise if they can work that in somehow).
Old December 8 2008, 12:30 AM   #23
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

A Very Borgy Christmas wrote: View Post
I recall a few months ago Paramount put out a list of various franchises that they were considering for direct-to-video sequels, prequels, or remakes. One of the franchises they listed was Star Trek. I'd like to see Abrams' cast take over the big screen while, simultaneously, we see the continuing adventures of the 24th century in a series of direct-to-video movies combining the casts of The Next Generation, DS9, & Voyager (and even The Original Series & Enterprise if they can work that in somehow).
Again, a nice idea. But I think more people, especialy being a decade after TNG ended and close to that for the other two series, would relate to a post TNG crew better and it would be something fresher.

As dedicated fans we have the DVDs, the movies, the novels, fanfiction.
I'd like to see some fans who aren't as hardcore possibly latch on to something new.
Old December 8 2008, 01:18 AM   #24
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

in a series of direct-to-video movies combining the casts of The Next Generation, DS9, & Voyager (and even The Original Series & Enterprise if they can work that in somehow).
That would be good, I would like to see two more movies (at least 2 more) for the TNG crew, and some movies for DS9 and Voyager and Enterprise
Old December 8 2008, 02:22 AM   #25
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Again, a nice idea. But I think more people, especialy being a decade after TNG ended and close to that for the other two series, would relate to a post TNG crew better and it would be something fresher.
I have this idea for a movie about a new, elite Starfleet team of commandos and scientific troubleshooters. We'd see mostly new characters training to join the team but there would also be some existing members who would be established characters from the TV show. (I don't have any specific ideas. Just whoever is cheap & willing & not totally lame.)

And the secret leader of this elite team-- Captain James Tiberius Kirk himself. It would satisfy Shatner's desire to return to the role and the fans' desire to see him come back. As for how Kirk is alive again, use Shatner's novel "The Return" as the backstory but don't go too deeply into it.
Old December 8 2008, 02:48 AM   #26
trekkerguy
Commodore

I have this idea for a movie about a new, elite Starfleet team of commandos and scientific troubleshooters. We'd see mostly new characters training to join the team but there would also be some existing members who would be established characters from the TV show. (I don't have any specific ideas. Just whoever is cheap & willing & not totally lame.)

And the secret leader of this elite team-- Captain James Tiberius Kirk himself. It would satisfy Shatner's desire to return to the role and the fans' desire to see him come back. As for how Kirk is alive again, use Shatner's novel "The Return" as the backstory but don't go too deeply into it.
That would definitely be cool. The Return was a great story especialy for a Shat-Novel.
Old December 8 2008, 04:25 AM   #27
davidant32
Commodore

After 4 feature films, it would be an insult to send off the TNG crew with a TV movie, even if their recent box office performances warrant it.

The DS9 and VOY crews kind of got screwed (not as much as ENT cast though). Bermaga had too many children that they couldn't show each of them the proper love and attention they deserved.

So, do a combined tv event for DS9/VOY casts. I mean, they started together on DS9 in "Caretaker," they should come full circle. Leave out Worf, though (maybe a mention) since he'll get his due on the big screen. They could even shoehorn Shatner in.

Then do one last TNG movie, and make it the end of the 24th Century on the big screen.

Forget Enterprise. Maybe Abrams can revisit the Romulan War down the road, but I don't think he should draw too heavily from ENT.
Old December 8 2008, 04:58 AM   #28
Danoz
Rear Admiral

I wish somebody would put Frakes and as many TNG/DS9 cast members as possible into a new series... but it's a pipe dream, and even it it were realized it would probably be canceled in a year or two.

I've resigned myself to being optimistic about the new film and content with well-written Star Trek novels.
Old December 8 2008, 05:00 AM   #29
Danoz
Rear Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
JNG wrote: View Post
If the new movie were a smash and all things Trek were new again, so to speak, it is not wildly unrealistic that they'll be looking for other ways to profit off the franchise in the wake of that.
Absolutely. The studio will look for any angle they can find to generate additional profit. If they decide a TNG reunion is worthwhile, even if it's a TV movie or straight to DVD, they'll do it.
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

And given Stewart's love for the series, it wouldn't be a stretch for him to return for something like that.
Old December 8 2008, 06:25 AM   #30
trekkerguy
Commodore

Dasher'n'Dancer32 wrote: View Post
After 4 feature films, it would be an insult to send off the TNG crew with a TV movie, even if their recent box office performances warrant it.

The DS9 and VOY crews kind of got screwed (not as much as ENT cast though). Bermaga had too many children that they couldn't show each of them the proper love and attention they deserved.

So, do a combined tv event for DS9/VOY casts. I mean, they started together on DS9 in "Caretaker," they should come full circle. Leave out Worf, though (maybe a mention) since he'll get his due on the big screen. They could even shoehorn Shatner in.

Then do one last TNG movie, and make it the end of the 24th Century on the big screen.

Forget Enterprise. Maybe Abrams can revisit the Romulan War down the road, but I don't think he should draw too heavily from ENT.

Insult to you maybe, but considering most of their success came from the TV series, and they aren't that anal, I doubt they would have anything against the gesture. If they did they'd just be making themselves out to be more bigger-than-their-britches Shatner types and I don't see any of the TNG cast like that.

And how exactly did DS9 and VOY get screwed? They both lived out full 7 year spans even with declining viewership. And not every series needs a movie nor would it really work with the characters having gone other directions.

Neither show needed nor earned a movie. Every part of your idea sounds extremely contrived. If they have a good story to tell about the TNG crew they should. But throwing a bucket of assorted characters together just for the hell of it is a waste of time, effort and creativity. The same reason Abrams left Shatner out of XI.