Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old December 6 2008, 05:21 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Frakes On 'Star Trek XI'

The success of Star Trek XI might lead to possibilities for the Star Trek franchise in general, says Jonathan Frakes.

As reported by iFMagazine, Frakes is optimistic that Star Trek XI will do well and that the success may open the door for other Star Trek projects. "I've very optimistic about the new movie," said Frakes. "I'm a big fan of his [Abrams] as a storyteller and I was there and it looked great. I was lucky enough to visit the set and was overwhelmed how beautiful the [Enterprise] bridge was."

A few fortunate connections led to Frakes visiting the Star Trek XI Enterprise bridge. "My First [A.D.] was my first, and J.J. [Abrams] is married to a girl I know in Maine," said Frakes, "so we had these connections and we've been trading notes back and forth and finally went over to have a little schmooze with them and it happened to be the day they were on the bridge. I must say, it was very emotional to be on someone else's 'Star Trek' set, as you could imagine."

Frakes is sad that the Next Generation movies have ended. "Yes. By all means," he said. "I had dinner with Patrick [Stewart] last week and we were both ready to go back to do another one."

The success of Star Trek XI would revitalize the whole franchise, says Frakes. "I think if this is successful, it opens up any number of possibilities for the whole 'Star Trek' franchise, so we'll see how this does.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old December 6 2008, 05:59 AM   #2
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Frakes On 'Star Trek XI'

This wishful thinking from the TNG cast always makes me a little melancholy. Those guys had a chance to build a viable motion picture franchise and they never really brought home the gold bullion like the Classic Trek films did. That they think there's any chance of making a comeback after two duds in a row is just... sad. Or perhaps, pathetic?

The TNG characters are strictly small screen fare. If they ever return again you can bet it'll be a tv movie reunion. I doubt Stewart would agree to that but I bet Frakes would.
Old December 6 2008, 06:49 AM   #3
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Frakes is sad that the <i>Next Generation</i> movies have ended. "Yes. By all means," he said. "I had dinner with Patrick [Stewart] last week and we were both ready to go back to do another one."
Holy shit, really? I'd love to see the studio say "hate to go out on that disliked one," like they did with STV, and put out one more.
Old December 6 2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Star Trek 5 wasn't a smash but at least it broke even. Nemesis can't make that claim. Insurrection and Nemesis's piddling box office performances have given Paramount no financial insentive at all for them to make another TNG movie.
Old December 6 2008, 09:37 AM   #5
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I've been a Trek fan for long enough to know anything's possible. I'm not holding my breath for a TNG film, but nothing Trek related would surprise me any longer, including there being another TNG film.

Old December 6 2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Haytil
Captain

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
This wishful thinking from the TNG cast always makes me a little melancholy. Those guys had a chance to build a viable motion picture franchise and they never really brought home the gold bullion like the Classic Trek films did.
Yeah, but how much of that was their fault? Insurrection was Frakes' movie, and Stewart had a lot of influence on it, sure. But I got the feeling that the cast were not really involved in the creative process of Nemesis to a whole degree (forced to accept a director who didn't give much of a damn about Star Trek, with no real way of stopping it).

Sure, they got some fair shots. With some, they succeeded (First Contact, also a Frakes film, so don't blame him entirely). With others, they failed (Insurrection). That's true of the classic cast, too.

The problem is, Nemesis wasn't a fair shot - it failed, but I don't think it's the cast's fault. The acting was just as good in that one, they just had so much less to work with. So to blame successive failures on the cast (something that the classic cast didn't experience) isn't entirely fair - they had so much less of an opportunity than the originals.

That they think there's any chance of making a comeback after two duds in a row is just... sad. Or perhaps, pathetic?
I don't think they really think they're going to come back - they seem to have accepted it. But that doesn't mean they don't privately wish, among friends, that it would happen. Or talk about it amongst themselves. Or express optimism when asked by the press.

Do you really expect them to say "No, it'll never happen" when asked? Of course not - then it really will never happen, no matter what. But if they want it to happen - even if they know it won't happen - then when pressed, they'll at least be optimistic.

I don't think it's fair to say it's sad or pathetic that they think they're making a come-back - because I think it's clear they don't truly believe it. Just because you'd like something doesn't mean you think it'll happen - or that you're pathetic or sad for having such a desire.
Old December 6 2008, 04:38 PM   #7
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

If the new movie were a smash and all things Trek were new again, so to speak, it is not wildly unrealistic that they'll be looking for other ways to profit off the franchise in the wake of that.
Old December 6 2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

I too would like to see another TNG film as well, one or two more

Insurrection is always said to be a flop....how so? It made $70 million, hell of a lot more than the flop that is Star Trek 5.
Old December 6 2008, 06:53 PM   #9
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Star Trek 5 wasn't a smash but at least it broke even. Nemesis can't make that claim. Insurrection and Nemesis's piddling box office performances have given Paramount no financial insentive at all for them to make another TNG movie.
As I remember, Nemesis finished at around +6 million dollars. Which is a "flop", but not an actual money-loser. (If I understand the figures I've seen) That also doesn't account for DVD sales over the years, which I would guess has increased the profit on that film considerably.
First Contact is, Trek film-wise, still the horse to beat. I think STXI is going to blow them all out of the water.
But I'd bet TNG is still very profitable, between its perennial syndication, and all the DVD products out there which cost very little to make.
I honestly think what did them in was super-oversaturation, the likes of which no franchise has ever seen. TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, all on TV, add in a competing huge hit like The Two Towers, and Nem being a mediocre film, and there it is.
As far as succesfulness is concerned, TNG is still the King, by far. So who knows? A tale of two ships, throw in some DS9 characters. Well hey. We can dream anyway...
Old December 6 2008, 07:11 PM   #10
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post

As I remember, Nemesis finished at around +6 million dollars.
$43 Million....not much less than Star Trek 5
Old December 6 2008, 07:53 PM   #11
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

In my dream world, there'd be two parallel Trek productions on -- releasing TNG/DS9 Trek flicks on even numbered years, and NewTOS Trek flicks on odd numbered years. They might share production staff and art depts and so on, but they'd be different sets of production.

Sigh.

Never happen.
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
Old December 6 2008, 09:15 PM   #12
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Siwilliams wrote: View Post

Star Trek 5 cost 30 million dollars and brought in 50 mill. It was an extremely modest profit but it was enough to justify a Star Trek VI. Especially since the first four movies were very profitable.

I'll give the TNG people credit for First Contact. It was a good movie and an absolute success on an entertainment and profit level but... Please remember that Nemesis cost what, about 60 million if I recall and it's box office take was 43 mill and some change. It was an absolute money loser. There's just no way Paramount is gonna throw away good money after bad. Never happen.

Personally I think TNG only has a chance at a comeback if they go made for tv. Personally I'd think that would be a good thing. TV movies are cheaper to produce than big screen fare and maybe they'd come up with something special for the fans. Even if it's one last goodbye.
Old December 6 2008, 09:19 PM   #13
USS Intrepid
Commodore

JNG wrote: View Post
If the new movie were a smash and all things Trek were new again, so to speak, it is not wildly unrealistic that they'll be looking for other ways to profit off the franchise in the wake of that.
Absolutely. The studio will look for any angle they can find to generate additional profit. If they decide a TNG reunion is worthwhile, even if it's a TV movie or straight to DVD, they'll do it.
Old December 6 2008, 09:27 PM   #14
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

Siwilliams wrote: View Post

Star Trek 5 cost 30 million dollars and brought in 50 mill. It was an extremely modest profit but it was enough to justify a Star Trek VI. Especially since the first four movies were very profitable.

I'll give the TNG people credit for First Contact. .
Generations made profit as well as Insurrection and First Contact. If anything Nemesis is the only flop and the TNG crew is not at fault here....it is Paramounts schedueling and Baird's direction and the script being released online. People may not like the movie but it still could have made a lot more money.
AJBryant wrote: View Post
In my dream world, there'd be two parallel Trek productions on -- releasing TNG/DS9 Trek flicks on even numbered years,
That would be awesome
Old December 7 2008, 12:22 AM   #15
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

You guys are only loking at the US Box-office. Above poster was correct, it made about +7 million. From IMDB: $67,312,826 (Worldwide). http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253754/business

TNG was my fave, and I loved all it's films including Nemesis. But I think the most we will see from them, and I would be very excited to see this, is a 2 hour tv movie possibly shown on CBS as one final send off to the TNG cast. That would be awesome.