Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

View Poll Results: What do you people think about the 4x03 Brothers episode?
One of the best TNG episodes I've ever seen! 1 3.03%
A very good episode. 21 63.64%
Good. 9 27.27%
Not good. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24 2008, 07:14 PM   #1
khelben1979
Ensign

What do you people think about the 4x03 Brothers episode?

The episode where Mr Data takes control of Enterprise is in my opinion a very good episode. Maybe one of the best? (I don't know at this time)

What do you people think about this episode?
khelben1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 07:17 PM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: What do you people think about the 4x03 Brothers episode?

I think it's great. I loved seeing Data taken off the leash and essentially run rings around the rest of the crew. He beat them every step of the way.

Then we got to the planet and we had some great character drama played by one man, which is all the more impressive.

One small problem - apparently that extra long code he uses to lock out the Enterprise computer isn't the same one that actually appears on the screen.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 09:28 PM   #3
Ro_Laren
Commodore

I always found the episode boring...
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 02:18 AM   #4
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

That was some amazing work done with the camera, allowing Brent Spiner to act as three different characters in the same scene. It's absolutely seamless the way they do that.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 03:43 AM   #5
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

The episode doesn't even start until Data meets Soong, the rest is all Data Becoming a Liability to the Ship...again...
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 08:09 AM   #6
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I loved it, except for the two kids storyline. I guess it was necessary for the end, but it would have significantly improved the episode if it was all about Data.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Hermiod
Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
The episode doesn't even start until Data meets Soong, the rest is all Data Becoming a Liability to the Ship...again...
Data's a liability to the ship ? With Mr. I Like to Provoke Civil Wars around ?
Old November 25 2008, 05:24 PM   #8
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I never understood why no one considered to place a torpedo on deck 2 and blow the bridge and Data up. Or they could have used a shuttle from the main shuttle bay to completeley destroy the upper decks of the saucer section from the inside. Instead they wanted to cut through the floor, even as a 12 year old kid I screamed "force field" and knew it would never work. It's like they didn't even try to get control of the ship back, why didn't they use force, why didn't they sabotage the warp drive or something? All they did was pressing buttons in main engineering and saying things like "Oh, Data was faster/smarter/better".
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 05:32 PM   #9
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Why don't the locks on the shuttlebay doors work? Why does the warp core ejection system never work? Why do transporters work in areas in which sensors don't work?
Old November 25 2008, 07:42 PM   #10
Hermiod
Admiral

Or, you could just fire a phaser at the warp core and get the job done that way.

Oh, wait, I thought the point was to regain control of the ship, not blow it to pieces.
Old November 25 2008, 08:11 PM   #11
Vic Sixx
Commodore

This is probably the incident Data's critics point to as the reason he was never given a promotion. Why didn't Data take a shuttle, and take out ships sensors, why did he take the whole ship cripple it and lock it down.
Old November 25 2008, 08:37 PM   #12
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Or, you could just fire a phaser at the warp core and get the job done that way.

Oh, wait, I thought the point was to regain control of the ship, not blow it to pieces.
Not the whole ship, but why not decks 1, 2 and 3 if necessary? They had no idea what Data was planning to do, destroying a small part of the ship would have been justifiable. Of course I didn't expect them to do it (for obvious real life reasons like Brent Spiner staying on the show), but why couldn't someone at least suggest to destroy the bridge? Maybe Picard would have said no or Data would have blocked access to the shuttle bay or the torpedos, but it would have been better then trying almost nothing after the saucer seperation failed.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 10:51 PM   #13
Hermiod
Admiral

Doing any such thing is completely over the top. Eventually they could have gone out in spacesuits and cut through the dome at the top of the saucer section or any of a million other options that don't involve blasting bits of the ship to pieces.

As for this being the reason why Data never got a promotion, he was not in full control of his actions due to external influence. That happens to various members of the senior staff multiple times during TNG's run. Should none of them be promoted either ?

Riker brought the Ktarian game back to the Enterprise in "The Game" and they made him a Captain.

The real reason the Enterprise's senior staff didn't all get commands is that it would have meant breaking up the cast. It's the same reason the Enterprise-A ended its life with three Captains and three Commanders in its senior staff.
Old November 26 2008, 03:59 AM   #14
RAMA
Vice Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
Why don't the locks on the shuttlebay doors work? Why does the warp core ejection system never work? Why do transporters work in areas in which sensors don't work?
For the same reason Matt Decker, the space hippies, and zillions of others over the years have gotten off the Enterprise...its works for the story.

RAMA
Old November 26 2008, 08:12 AM   #15
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I really like this episode. We learn stuff about the Enterprise; the beginning is great with the evactuation of the bridge; cranky Riker "we had to look out of a window to know that we'd come out of warp" is amusing. Brent Spiner's turn as the 3 Soongs was excellent, and his portrayal of the dying doctor quite moving. Could probably have done nicely without the B plot with the kids.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote