Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 29 2008, 07:58 PM   #16
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Has blu-ray failed?

Yeah, I don't really see the point in upgrading. Even if more people switched over, I'd just see it as an excuse to get a lot of DVDs on sale.
Old November 29 2008, 07:58 PM   #17
payndz201
Commodore

I actually own a Blu-Ray player, in the shape of a PS3, but I've never used it to play a BR movie simply because there's no point - I haven't got an HDTV, and am not planning to buy one in the immediate future. In a year or so, maybe, but right now my old (ironically) Sony 32" Trinitron is still working just fine.

BR and HD-DVD were both cynical money-grabs by the major electronics corporations once DVD players started being made by the million in China to be sold in supermarkets for £30. From the hardware companies' point of view, DVD was too successful - they needed something new to replace it that could restore their profit margins.
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 08:02 PM   #18
Peak
Fleet Captain

Blu-Ray is growing faster than DVD did, so I wouldn't call it a failure.

It won't be the only format on the market, though. DVD will still live on. Blu-Ray can read DVD:s, so I don't really see it as a DVD-killer.

Japan is a bit ahead of the US, as usual, but I expect the US to get here in a few years:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/10/23...-shipments-in/

A picture of how it stands in the US: http://i38.tinypic.com/15ofehj.jpg

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 08:06 PM   #19
RoJoHen
Awesome

The only way it'll really catch on is if people stop making DVDs and Blu-Ray becomes the only option.
Old November 29 2008, 08:51 PM   #20
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

flamingliberal wrote: View Post
I have no intention of upgrading to Blu Ray. The trade-off on the investment just isn't worth it, especially given that 90% of my DVDs are television series, most of which aren't even wide-screen, let alone HD. I just don't care about seeing every flaw and detail...
Exactly
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 09:07 PM   #21
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

The main problem with BR is that they are too darn expensive. But I still buy them. But i find myself thinking...do i really need to buy this movie on BR? I end up only buying the BR movies that are best to watch in HD. That being said most movies I own on BR are comic book movies. Just because they are usually better in crisp BR-HD.
If Sony wants BR to kill DVD's all they have to do is lower the average price from 30.00 to 20.00 and BAM you'd see sales jump.
And I always pull this example out. I also own a Xbox 360 and the HD-Addon HDdvd player. I have Transformers on both BR and HD-DVD. Ill tell ya. It looks better in HD-dvd. Ive even run the test on some of my friends whilest hiding which player Im using and so far all of them have agreed with me that the HD version of Transformers is sharper and better overall. Thats not good for BR.
And whats with a 6-8 previews that are forced on you at the beginning of every BR movie? I didnt buy the BR to watch previews...
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 09:37 PM   #22
paudemge
Captain

BR players will have to get to the same price as dvd players and at the same time BR movies will have to get down to the same price as normal DVD's.

DVD has several things going for it over VHS that people actually cared about.
BR, has superior picture quality, that's about it. Not very many people care enough about that. Sound; just forget about that,statistically speaking nobody cares about that. All the extras are nice as well, but really not a strong selling point. I like extras but if i have to choose between extras and saving a few bucks on the non-extra version of a DVD, i'll save the money.

I'm just not sure BR will ever replace dvd. Maybe if you could put the dvd version and the br version on the same disk and play the dvd version in a dvd player. But then you would have a whole lot of people thinking they are watching bluray.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 11:21 PM   #23
Good Will Riker
Admiral

Samsung: "Blu-ray has 5 years left"

link - http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...ars-left.phtml
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 11:25 PM   #24
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

DontFeedPhil wrote: View Post
If Sony wants BR to kill DVD's all they have to do is lower the average price from 30.00 to 20.00 and BAM you'd see sales jump.
The reason that won't happen is that Blu-Ray was introduced in part because Sony and other studios wanted a higher price point for films. Studios weren't happy that consumers had embraced DVD at the low price points, and Blu-Ray and HD-DVD were both seen as ways to get consumers to pay more for the content.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 11:59 PM   #25
SG-17
Commodore

Well Blu-Ray can hold 50 Gigs of data, which makes it the perfect medium for video games.

And yes I agree with the statement that Blu-Rays (other than PS3 games) will not last 5 years, for the simple reason that at the rate which our media technology is advancing something better will come along within that timeframe.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2008, 12:26 AM   #26
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

I find the whole "5 year thing" to be pretty unlikely. For a format to supplant Blu-Ray, it would have to provide a tangible benefit... and in 5 years we'll still be on HDTV's with the same resolution as now and Blu-Ray discs and players will be as cheap as DVD is now. A "replacement" technology would have to be either significantly better in the eyes of the public (and given that many people can't even tell the difference between HD and SD now...) or be significantly cheaper... and new technologies are rarely cheaper on release then existing ones.
Old November 30 2008, 01:12 AM   #27
hamudm
Rear Admiral

View hamudm's Twitter Profile

DVD grew and thrived under the behemoth that was VHS and eventually, over the course of about 10 years it became low-priced and the dominant format. Blu-Ray is growing faster than DVD was and price points are just as low in the life cycle as they were at this point with DVD. Blu-Ray will be fine. HDTV sets are selling at ridiculously fast rates. People aren't going to want to watch "upscaled" dvds exclusively, which look like crap (especially when the transfer isn't so good in the first place), on their brand new big screens.

As for streaming formats, there's nothing feasible available, nor will it be for sometime, that provides 1080p video with 7.1 surround channels.

There's those that say that they "don't see the difference." Well then you're blind
Old November 30 2008, 01:14 AM   #28
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

hamudm wrote: View Post

There's those that say that they "don't see the difference." Well then you're blind
I see the difference, I just don't like to see people sweat and standard dvd looks fine
Old November 30 2008, 01:24 AM   #29
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

It's funny - I was in a department store this afternoon and there were lots of DVD players as well as big HD televisions for sale but I had to look around a bit to find a Blu Ray player.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2008, 01:26 AM   #30
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
It's funny - I was in a department store this afternoon and there were lots of DVD players as well as big HD televisions for sale but I had to look around a bit to find a Blu Ray player.
Does that mean there were not many or they were just not easily seen?